• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Giants Board Rules / Guidelines

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that this is necessarily needed at this time, but I just thought I would jot a few things down. This is not a decree as much as a rough draft. If you have ideas for additions, subtractions or modifications, please SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!

(seriously, though, let me know)

1) Be respectful. Most of the regs here have been posting together for upwards of 10 years. If you are a wanderer, please keep that in mind.

2) No trolling. Obviously, a drive by about how fat Panda is, or how bad the Giants looked against the Dodgers will not be tolerated. If you want to discuss Panda's fitness issues, or the problem of the middle order against Kershaw, that is different. It is all about the delivery.

3) Stickies. World Series Clinching GDT will be stickied FOREVER. No hitters and perfect games will be stickied for 1 year. The roster thread is perma-stickied and the first post will be edited by one of the mods. Other threads will be stickied as needed.

4) NSFW. The Hoop is bigger than it was when we got here, and that is just something we have to come to terms with. NSFW pics or gifs are no longer allowed. Sorry.

5) Language. We are all adults (or should be, according to TOS). Adult language is allowed. But please keep rule 1 in mind.

6) SportsHoopla TOS still applies. (http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/site-announcements-help-suggestions/3564-sports-forum-rules.html; Privacy Policy - SportsHoopla.com Sports Forums)

Last edited by a moderator:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep it loose, and when you're uptight, just think of Tim Lincecum

Lincecum_seeds.gif

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that this is necessarily needed at this time, but I just thought I would jot a few things down. This is not a decree as much as a rough draft. If you have ideas for additions, subtractions or modifications, please SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!

(seriously, though, let me know)

1) Be respectful. Most of the regs here have been posting together for upwards of 10 years. If you are a wanderer, please keep that in mind.

2) No trolling. Obviously, a drive by about how fat Panda is, or how bad the Giants looked against the Dodgers will not be tolerated. If you want to discuss Panda's fitness issues, or the problem of the middle order against Kershaw, that is different. It is all about the delivery.

3) Stickies. World Series Clinching GDT will be stickied FOREVER. No hitters and perfect games will be stickied for 1 year. The roster thread is perma-stickied and the first post will be edited by one of the mods. Other threads will be stickied as needed.

4) NSFW. The Hoop is bigger than it was when we got here, and that is just something we have to come to terms with. NSFW pics or gifs are no longer allowed. Sorry.

5) Language. We are all adults (or should be, according to TOS). Adult language is allowed. But please keep rule 1 in mind.

6) SportsHoopla TOS still applies. (http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/site-announcements-help-suggestions/3564-sports-forum-rules.html; Privacy Policy - SportsHoopla.com Sports Forums)

No problem with any of this, though I admit I push the envelope from time to time out of frustration with certain repetitive behavior.

And I fully agree with #4, but as a respectful suggestion, it would seem much more credible on SH's part if they shut down and removed the NSFW thread that's buried at the bottom of the main board. Just sayin'.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem with any of this, though I admit I push the envelope from time to time out of frustration with certain repetitive behavior.

And I fully agree with #4, but as a respectful suggestion, it would seem much more credible on SH's part if they shut down and removed the NSFW thread that's buried at the bottom of the main board. Just sayin'.

No ads on that page, so the rules there are different.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No ads on that page, so the rules there are different.

Yeah, but why have it at all? Just seems hypocritical.

"No, you can't engage in unacceptable, misogynistic behavior on our pristine, family-oriented, and professional site. Unless you do it over here."

:noidea:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but why have it at all? Just seems hypocritical.

"No, you can't engage in unacceptable, misogynistic behavior on our pristine, family-oriented, and professional site. Unless you do it over here."

:noidea:

The NSFW rule is not because Hammer wants it that way. It is because Google acts like the SS with NSFW content. By not having ads on the NSFW forum, Google does not check it, and therefore, will not pull their ads from the site because of it.

No matter what we may feel about Hammer (I am sure we all LOVE him), this is HIS site, and it costs him money to keep alive (both in monthly fees as well as the initial investment from buying it from GitM). Therefore, he needs to pay for it somehow, and that means he has to get on his knees in front of Google from time to time.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off Topic Policy...

I figured I would spell this out, just so there is little question...

OT threads/discussions are allowed. Even encouraged. But these can only be STARTED by board regs who are actually part of the community and actually desire a conversation. If an OT thread is started by a reg, anyone can then take part in it.

But non-Giants specific threads started by non-regs, or those who have zero interest in being part of the strong community we have here, will be moved to a more-appropriate board.

As you all know (I hope), I HATE having to herd cats. So I will enforce this only in the case of it being a problem. But I WILL enforce it when it does become a problem. Please know that this is for the good of the board. This board is intended to be a fun place to hang out. This is not a blog site. You do not have to be buddies with everyone here if you do not want to, but if that is the tact you take, know that you will not have the same freedoms as those who play well with others.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off Topic Policy...

OT threads/discussions are allowed. Even encouraged. But these can only be STARTED by board regs who are actually part of the community and actually desire a conversation. If an OT thread is started by a reg, anyone can then take part in it.

But non-Giants specific threads started by non-regs, or those who have zero interest in being part of the strong community we have here, will be moved to a more-appropriate board.

As you all know (I hope), I HATE having to herd cats. So I will enforce this only in the case of it being a problem. But I WILL enforce it when it does become a problem. Please know that this is for the good of the board. This board is intended to be a fun place to hang out. This is not a blog site. You do not have to be buddies with everyone here if you do not want to, but if that is the tact you take, know that you will not have the same freedoms as those who play well with others.

As the "other mod", I agree with this.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off Topic Policy...

Let's be clear, you're talking about BoB. I personally don't see the harm in him starting his inane threads that we can all ignore. If he did 5 a day ok, that's too much. He does a couple a week. So what?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be clear, you're talking about BoB. I personally don't see the harm in him starting his inane threads that we can all ignore. If he did 5 a day ok, that's too much. He does a couple a week. So what?
If his threads are Giants related, fine. But if they are about Pete Rose or the wonderful scent of autumn flowers, they will be moved.

This a Giants related community. If he does not want to be a part of the community, than he has to keep his topics Giants related.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If his threads are Giants related, fine. But if they are about Pete Rose or the wonderful scent of autumn flowers, they will be moved.

This a Giants related community. If he does not want to be a part of the community, than he has to keep his topics Giants related.

What about baseball in general? His latest is as insane and dumb as usual, but it has some kind of relation to the sport...

Pete Rose is fair game to me, this is a baseball board, we are all fans of the game, that's a relevant topic. Heck I start threads about the game that aren't Giants related, because I like to hear what you all think about stuff

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball in general will go to the general board. He has no interest in discussing with anyone. He wants to decree.

If you were to start a thread about realignment (for example), no prob. You will debate, discuss and interact. He simply says how it is, and if you disagree, "Good luck, brother, I am out".

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball in general will go to the general board. He has no interest in discussing with anyone. He wants to decree.

If you were to start a thread about realignment (for example), no prob. You will debate, discuss and interact. He simply says how it is, and if you disagree, "Good luck, brother, I am out".

I know how douchey he is believe me. I'm just saying it feels a bit heavy handed. If he starts a thread we don't want to read, or get into with him, it's so easy not to. If he spams the board with them that's different.

Should we move his thread about predicting the HR Derby? No Giants involved.

Hey, whatever you wanna do is fine, I'm not going to the mat for that goofball. Just saying he's harmless.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know how douchey he is believe me. I'm just saying it feels a bit heavy handed. If he starts a thread we don't want to read, or get into with him, it's so easy not to. If he spams the board with them that's different.

Should we move his thread about predicting the HR Derby? No Giants involved.

Hey, whatever you wanna do is fine, I'm not going to the mat for that goofball. Just saying he's harmless.

I tend to agree with this. I have him on ignore, so if you move his threads or not -- it won't make a difference to me.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ditto.

I pity the poor mods who are forced to read his inane swill.

To be fair, it's probably pretty easy to see where one of his rants is going in a sentence or two.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone wants to "ignore" another user, simply click on their name on one of their posts. A popup will appear with some poster-stats and a few additional links. Select "ignore".

Simple as that.

I do not have anyone on ignore, so I do not know exactly how the software treats their posts and threads, but I believe it is pretty extensive.

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone wants to "ignore" another user, simply click on their name on one of their posts. A popup will appear with some poster-stats and a few additional links. Select "ignore".

Simple as that.

I do not have anyone on ignore, so I do not know exactly how the software treats their posts and threads, but I believe it is pretty extensive.

I guess I should just change my name to "ignore" . Wow it's a barrel of laughs in here. You would think the Giants were in the cellar the last 50 years in here.

Wow

stay loose

:suds::clap:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The new software makes an ignored member pretty invisible to the ignoree. Just about the only way I know that one of them has posted is if they are the *only* person (or maybe the last person?) who has posted on a thread since my last visit, when I see a "a person you are ignoring posted something" in the overview (main forum page). I don't see anything in the thread itself (except a generic "show ignored content" link at the bottom of each thread).