• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Giants All Stars

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who makes it this year?

Strick is the only pitcher with any chance whatsoever, but I doubt he makes it.

I think we have a lot of hitters with a chance, though.

Posey, Belt, Craw, Longo all have AT LEAST outside shots. Cutch has a punchers chance just because of his name.

Put a gun to my head, I say we get 3. Posey, Belt and Craw.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who makes it this year?

Strick is the only pitcher with any chance whatsoever, but I doubt he makes it.

I think we have a lot of hitters with a chance, though.

Posey, Belt, Craw, Longo all have AT LEAST outside shots. Cutch has a punchers chance just because of his name.

Put a gun to my head, I say we get 3. Posey, Belt and Craw.
I think Posey gets in because of his name but, offensively, the field is a little more crowded. Cervelli and Realmuto have higher OPS than Posey but Realmuto isn't going to have the fan base to carry him. Cervelli probably doesn't either. Grandal, though, while having a slightly lower OPS than Posey, have the sexy home run numbers that the casual fan will gravitate toward and he has a large fan base that could mobilize around him. If Grandal somehow beats out Posey, then his selection as a reserve will probably depend on how close his numbers are compared to the other two.
Crawford's resurgence definitely puts him in the thick of things. He is tied for 2nd in OPS with deJong, not too far behind Asudrubal Cabrera. DeJong is out with an injury (haven't heard his timetable for return) but Cabrera does have a large fan base. Trevor Story is right behind Crawford in OPS but the next guy down, Dansby Swanson is over a 100 points difference. I'd say Crawford has a good chance as well, maybe even better than Posey's.
What may work in Posey's favor will probably work against Belt. Out of the three, he is most deserving but Goldschmidt or Votto will most assuredly get the popular vote. Only Freeman is higher than Belt in OPS. If Freeman can somehow capture the popular vote, then Belt most likely gets in. If someone else, like Votto, gets the popular vote, than Freeman is the back up and maybe Belt gets in.
Longoria, I don't think, have a chance. He has popular 3rd basemen in Arenado and Bryant who are hitting better than him and have the names to get the votes. There is also Villanueva, who could be the sole Padre to make the All-Star team, and 8 other NL 3rd basemen with better OPS than him. He won't make it.
I don't see McCutchen getting in. He'll get some votes but not enough. Unless he gets really hot, I don't see him being named a backup either. It will be interesting to see if Gorkys Hernandez can continue his hot hitting toward an All-Star nod. If he keeps up his hitting, he may be an outside shot. Currently, he sits 17th among NL outfielders in OPS. He'd need to continue to improve his overall numbers to get noticed enough.

So I think you are probably right on Posey, Belt and Crawford. I disagree on Longoria having a shot. McCutchen won't get in either but keep an eye on Hernandez.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Posey gets in because of his name but, offensively, the field is a little more crowded. Cervelli and Realmuto have higher OPS than Posey but Realmuto isn't going to have the fan base to carry him. Cervelli probably doesn't either. Grandal, though, while having a slightly lower OPS than Posey, have the sexy home run numbers that the casual fan will gravitate toward and he has a large fan base that could mobilize around him. If Grandal somehow beats out Posey, then his selection as a reserve will probably depend on how close his numbers are compared to the other two.
Crawford's resurgence definitely puts him in the thick of things. He is tied for 2nd in OPS with deJong, not too far behind Asudrubal Cabrera. DeJong is out with an injury (haven't heard his timetable for return) but Cabrera does have a large fan base. Trevor Story is right behind Crawford in OPS but the next guy down, Dansby Swanson is over a 100 points difference. I'd say Crawford has a good chance as well, maybe even better than Posey's.
What may work in Posey's favor will probably work against Belt. Out of the three, he is most deserving but Goldschmidt or Votto will most assuredly get the popular vote. Only Freeman is higher than Belt in OPS. If Freeman can somehow capture the popular vote, then Belt most likely gets in. If someone else, like Votto, gets the popular vote, than Freeman is the back up and maybe Belt gets in.
Longoria, I don't think, have a chance. He has popular 3rd basemen in Arenado and Bryant who are hitting better than him and have the names to get the votes. There is also Villanueva, who could be the sole Padre to make the All-Star team, and 8 other NL 3rd basemen with better OPS than him. He won't make it.
I don't see McCutchen getting in. He'll get some votes but not enough. Unless he gets really hot, I don't see him being named a backup either. It will be interesting to see if Gorkys Hernandez can continue his hot hitting toward an All-Star nod. If he keeps up his hitting, he may be an outside shot. Currently, he sits 17th among NL outfielders in OPS. He'd need to continue to improve his overall numbers to get noticed enough.

So I think you are probably right on Posey, Belt and Crawford. I disagree on Longoria having a shot. McCutchen won't get in either but keep an eye on Hernandez.
Longo and Cutch I included really only because of their names. Longo is playing well, but not all star-well. Cutch is, well, playing.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Longo and Cutch I included really only because of their names. Longo is playing well, but not all star-well. Cutch is, well, playing.

June I think is historically Cutch's best month so who knows :noidea:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
June I think is historically Cutch's best month so who knows :noidea:
It won’t be enough to get him in the all star discussion. Even if he is NL player of the month. Too little, too late, IMHO.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First vote announcement for NL ballots came out and two Giants are in the lead for their position and another two are in the top 5. They are:

C - Buster Posey, with a slim 21,904 lead over Willson Contreras. Probably the most deserving is Francisco Cervelli, who is in 4th place, 112,499 votes behind Posey.
1B - Brandon Belt, in 3rd place, behind Freddie Freeman (470,592 votes ahead) and Anthony Rizzo (85,525). I'm okay with Freeman since he is hot right now, but Rizzo in 2nd place is nonsense. Max Muncy deserves it more than Rizzo.
2B - Joe Panik, in 5th place. He's 336,491 votes behind Ozzie Albies. Scooter Gennett, the most deserving is in 3rd place.
SS - Brandon Crawford has a 240,839 lead over Dansby Swanson for first place. Hope that gap widens.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belt didn't make it with the Final Vote. He'll have to replace someone else

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belt didn't make it with the Final Vote. He'll have to replace someone else
I would complain about our team's best hitter not making the All-Star Game but I forgot to vote in the final man ballot. Its amazing how much the 1st baseman picture in the NL changed in the last month.