• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ghost in the Shell (2017)

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amy Adams in Ghost in the Shell would just be the worst.

The issue is that the lead actress should be Japanese. Also Iron Man should be white, Wolverine should be a man, and get off my lawn!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The issue is that the lead actress should be Japanese. Also Iron Man should be white, Wolverine should be a man, and get off my lawn!
What's worse is that it appears they are trying to make ScarJo LOOK Japanese in this flick.

I have (obviously) not seen this movie yet, and I am only vaguely familiar with the source material, but this just seems like another Last Samurai or Great Wall. Criticizing this casting makes more sense than the criticism that was laid before IronFist.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I want to know is if bbbbooooooring, is read with a stutter or not.

It's funnier with a b-b-b-bbb-boooooooring... stutter.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's worse is that it appears they are trying to make ScarJo LOOK Japanese in this flick.

I have (obviously) not seen this movie yet, and I am only vaguely familiar with the source material, but this just seems like another Last Samurai or Great Wall. Criticizing this casting makes more sense than the criticism that was laid before IronFist.
The gist Ive gotten from Ghost in the Shell is that its a Japanese Robocop. A cop movie that examines the limits of humanity in a technological world.

Ive seen 2 Ghost in the Shell movies already and they are a bit...slow. The animated series, for the 5 episodes I saw, had a much quicker pace so I'm not fully sure what to expect.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FWIW, I know nothing about GITS, or Manga in general, but isn't the story a Japanese story- thus an American adaptation of it should feature an American lead? It's like wanting Ken Wantanabe to play Leonardo DiCaprio's role in The Departed because it was adapted from Infernal Affairs.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, I know nothing about GITS, or Manga in general, but isn't the story a Japanese story- thus an American adaptation of it should feature an American lead? It's like wanting Ken Wantanabe to play Leonardo DiCaprio's role in The Departed because it was adapted from Infernal Affairs.
Nah, you're going with the wrong direction entirely with your train of thought.

Scarlett Johansson is just the shell. Her race is just as irrelevant as Iron Man's paint job. I think thats generally what one is supposed to think.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First 5 minutes of the movie released.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't bother watching the first five minutes. I'll be watching this in the theater. Looks great. ScarJo is yummy.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The movie is set in Japan.

The movie isn't going to make money outside of the fan base of the Manga/Anime. Basically you are alienating the people who most likely go and see this movie, Asians.

And ScarJo can't carry a movie. She has never been able to. "Lucy" underperformed. Overseas saved that movie.

Just look at the last couple of movies that have "whitewashed" Asian characters. Aloha, Cloud Atlas, & The Last Airbender. All three tanked at the box office & were widely panned. If you are going to make an IP that has as large of a following as Ghost in the Shell does, you do not change the characters.

Here is a list of "Asian" actresses that would have been a far better choice for the role:

-Rinko Kikuchi - Pacific Rim
-Karen Fukuhara - Suicide Squad
-Kiki Sukezane - Heroes Reborn
what's funny is that Asians in Asia don't give a shit. They want a big name in the movie and they want the movie to be good.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are some of my favorite anime movies and I consider the original released around 1997 to be one of top animated movies of all time. The soundtrack was amazing as well.
I actually never really cared for either anime movie. My friends were hyping up the first one and it seemed like much ado about nothing. Saw the 2nd one in theaters and I remember almost nothing from the movie.

I actually think an Americanized version has a chance to be much, much better. Even the animated series was better than the movies from what I could tell.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Scarlett was a good choice for this. I'm not a huge fan of her acting, but IMO she pulls off the stale/droid acting very well (not sure if that's a knock on her or not lol).

Ghost in the Shell was a really interesting concept, importing biological material into a technological device. I really hope they keep the film a little complicated. I was hoping for an R film but the original Ghost in the Shell animated version was pretty much PG-13... the violence wasn't bad, I think the only thing that made it 'risky' for some was nudity (few moments where the main character goes nude, outside of the suit), but it was a droid, so whatevs.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like it didn't do so well at the domestic box office. It had only a $19 mil opening while it made $40 mil overseas. Still hasn't opened in Japan or China, maybe the Asian countries will prop this movie up like Warcraft. But it will still needs to make a total box office of around $400 mil to break even.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reviews have been meh about it. It was a nice idea but the studio didnt seem interested in promoting it very much the weeks leading up it besides very quick commercials. Thats always a bad sign.
Bummer. I'm still gonna go see it sometime this week.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like it didn't do so well at the domestic box office. It had only a $19 mil opening while it made $40 mil overseas. Still hasn't opened in Japan or China, maybe the Asian countries will prop this movie up like Warcraft. But it will still needs to make a total box office of around $400 mil to break even.

400 million to break even?
The production budget was 110 million.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
400 million to break even?
The production budget was 110 million.
Typically studios double the production budget for marketing.

Not sure where the 400M comes from, though. Production + marketing looks to be only about 220M (assuming your 110M is accurate)

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking that MANY of the reviews of this movie must have been from fans of the source material or something? I went in cold, not expecting much (read the tepid reviews), and quite enjoyed it.

I didn't get where it was dumbed down at all. The underlying premise of what a man/machine hybrid would face was I thought pretty well laid out given it was an action movie.

Her being changed into a caucasian body actually FIT the story better, imo. I won't go into detail on that at risk of spoiling stuff for those that haven't seen it.

So, if you're on the fence on this movie, I'd give it a chance, I felt like I got my money's worth.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking that MANY of the reviews of this movie must have been from fans of the source material or something? I went in cold, not expecting much (read the tepid reviews), and quite enjoyed it.

I didn't get where it was dumbed down at all. The underlying premise of what a man/machine hybrid would face was I thought pretty well laid out given it was an action movie.

Her being changed into a caucasian body actually FIT the story better, imo. I won't go into detail on that at risk of spoiling stuff for those that haven't seen it.

So, if you're on the fence on this movie, I'd give it a chance, I felt like I got my money's worth.

I plan on seeing it on DVD.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I plan on seeing it on DVD.

The visuals and art direction actually make it worth seeing on a big screen. It LOOKS fabulous, even the bad reviews say that.