• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ghost in the Shell (2017)

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are some of my favorite anime movies and I consider the original released around 1997 to be one of top animated movies of all time. The soundtrack was amazing as well.

--The movie is based on the famous Kodansha Comics manga series of the same name. Production is underway in New Zealand.

The film follows the Major, a special ops, one-of-a-kind human-cyborg hybrid, who leads the elite task force Section 9. Devoted to stopping the most dangerous criminals and extremists, Section 9 is faced with an enemy whose singular goal is to wipe out Hanka Robotic’s advancements in cyber technology.

Rupert Sanders is directing the movie, which is set to hit theaters on March 31, 2017.

scarlett-johansson-in-ghost-in-a-shell-01.jpg

51Qe3clezqL.jpg

Ghost-in-the-shell-film-s-008.jpg

giphy.gif

If they pull it off, it could be an amazing piece of sci-fi.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will she be one of the nude cyborgs?

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a big fan of the series, but I have a feeling this movie won't be so good unless it has a very large budget for CGI/FXs. I love ScarJo, but Motoko should have been played by an Asian or Asian/Anglo actress. This movie will probably go over about as well as ScarJo's last science-fiction movie.

human-cyborg hybrid

I know you probably copy/pasted the description, but this made me laugh. A cyborg is already a human-mechanical hybrid...

Motoko is completely mechanical with a human brain. A complete shell.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a big fan of the series, but I have a feeling this movie won't be so good unless it has a very large budget for CGI/FXs. I love ScarJo, but Motoko should have been played by an Asian or Asian/Anglo actress. This movie will probably go over about as well as ScarJo's last science-fiction movie.

See that's the problem, the studio wants the film to make money and if they cast someone like that it wouldn't. There are no big Asian actresses anymore and definitely not ones that would appeal to the majority of America so if they would've cast one it would've doomed this movie. The only one I can think of is Lucy Lui but hell even she isn't a big name anymore, 10 years ago maybe but now she's doing minor shows on CBS so not exactly the Hollywood movie type.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See that's the problem, the studio wants the film to make money and if they cast someone like that it wouldn't. There are no big Asian actresses anymore and definitely not ones that would appeal to the majority of America so if they would've cast one it would've doomed this movie. The only one I can think of is Lucy Lui but hell even she isn't a big name anymore, 10 years ago maybe but now she's doing minor shows on CBS so not exactly the Hollywood movie type.

The movie is set in Japan.

The movie isn't going to make money outside of the fan base of the Manga/Anime. Basically you are alienating the people who most likely go and see this movie, Asians.

And ScarJo can't carry a movie. She has never been able to. "Lucy" underperformed. Overseas saved that movie.

Just look at the last couple of movies that have "whitewashed" Asian characters. Aloha, Cloud Atlas, & The Last Airbender. All three tanked at the box office & were widely panned. If you are going to make an IP that has as large of a following as Ghost in the Shell does, you do not change the characters.

Here is a list of "Asian" actresses that would have been a far better choice for the role:

-Rinko Kikuchi - Pacific Rim
-Karen Fukuhara - Suicide Squad
-Kiki Sukezane - Heroes Reborn

blue_suns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just look at the last couple of movies that have "whitewashed" Asian characters. Aloha, Cloud Atlas, & The Last Airbender. All three tanked at the box office & were widely panned. If you are going to make an IP that has as large of a following as Ghost in the Shell does, you do not change the characters.

Don't forget Dragonball: Evolution *shudders*. Good god that movie was terrible.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, the movie is being written & made by nobodies. The cast is filled with nobodies. But lets cast ScarJo as the Asian lead character to make money.

Good luck with that...

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget Dragonball: Evolution *shudders*. Good god that movie was terrible.

Yeah, that was bad, but it wasn't ever going to make money outside of Asia. Which is what made the whitewashing in that movie even more terrible.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The movie is set in Japan.

The movie isn't going to make money outside of the fan base of the Manga/Anime. Basically you are alienating the people who most likely go and see this movie, Asians.

And ScarJo can't carry a movie. She has never been able to. "Lucy" underperformed. Overseas saved that movie.

Here is a list of "Asian" actresses that would have been a far better choice for the role:

-Rinko Kikuchi - Pacific Rim
-Karen Fukuhara - Suicide Squad
-Kiki Sukezane - Heroes Reborn

Lucy didn't underperform it made $125 million on a budget of $40 million. While it did make $330 million Non-US I wouldn't call a movie that made it back 3x it's budget in the US "underperforming"

And ScarJo is a draw she's one of the biggest female names in Hollywood at the moment. If someone sees a movie with her in it they are more likely to see it than any of the names you mentioned. And if it alienates the 10 million fans the IP has to bring in $100 million then it's worth it.

You do things to make money and casting no name Asian women isn't gonna do that. Besides they make these movies for American audiences and American Audiences want people they know. If this was a Japanese movie they'd cast the "correct" characters and they'd be fine but they aren't. This movie is made by Hollywood so they're gonna do what appeals to their demographic.

If Asians have a problem with this movie casting a white character to play their character then they can make their own movie just for the fans and watch it not sell.

SDPaddlefish

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,390.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lucy didn't underperform it made $125 million on a budget of $40 million. While it did make $330 million Non-US I wouldn't call a movie that made it back 3x it's budget in the US "underperforming"

And ScarJo is a draw she's one of the biggest female names in Hollywood at the moment. If someone sees a movie with her in it they are more likely to see it than any of the names you mentioned. And if it alienates the 10 million fans the IP has to bring in $100 million then it's worth it.

You do things to make money and casting no name Asian women isn't gonna do that. Besides they make these movies for American audiences and American Audiences want people they know. If this was a Japanese movie they'd cast the "correct" characters and they'd be fine but they aren't. This movie is made by Hollywood so they're gonna do what appeals to their demographic.

If Asians have a problem with this movie casting a white character to play their character then they can make their own movie just for the fans and watch it not sell.
I don't know a thing about any of this, but anything involving ScarJo elicits my (ahem) "attention." But I blundered across this article if anyone wants to read it.

Max Landis defends Scarlett Johansson's casting in 'Ghost in the Shell'

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i came across something yesterday that they were toying with the idea of using cgi to make her look more asian.....now that will fix everything what could go wrong :rolleyes:

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll probably get dumbed down and suck.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i came across something yesterday that they were toying with the idea of using cgi to make her look more asian.....now that will fix everything what could go wrong :rolleyes:
No way would that happen. 'Yellow face' her? It's one thing to white wash a character (And really the lead for GITS doesn't really look that asian in the anime anyway). But I can't imagine any studio is that dumb.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First full trailer released.

BigDGarciaFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Ghost under a rock" r whatever it's called will be ........ super bbboorriinngg. And scarlett isn't my type. If only they had Amy Adams play the role, that would give me goosebumps

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not even a real movie

You made it all up in your head

Who is Scarlett Johansson?