• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Getting a new CCW (Opinions?)

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I actually had a little free time so I stopped at a place earlier today and tried out the XDs, Glock 26 and a S&W Shield. Talk about a hard ass decision to make. I really had no major complaints with any. However, the size and feel of the Shield put it over the top for me so that's what I went with. It actually hit the shelf today. I really didn't find the trigger to be too off-putting myself compared to the others, not a deal breaker by any means imo. That could change as I get more and more familiar with it though, so a trigger job may be in it's future.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I actually had a little free time so I stopped at a place earlier today and tried out the XDs, Glock 26 and a S&W Shield. Talk about a hard ass decision to make. I really had no major complaints with any. However, the size and feel of the Shield put it over the top for me so that's what I went with. It actually hit the shelf today. I really didn't find the trigger to be too off-putting myself compared to the others, not a deal breaker by any means imo. That could change as I get more and more familiar with it though, so a trigger job may be in it's future.

I told you, awesome gun. Once you get it in your hand and feel the ergonomics and the size of it, it's hard to compare to others. Plus, you can get it in a .40 if you want; which is especially hard to find in a gun that size.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I told you, awesome gun. Once you get it in your hand and feel the ergonomics and the size of it, it's hard to compare to others. Plus, you can get it in a .40 if you want; which is especially hard to find in a gun that size.

You're spot on. I was pretty sure it was going home with me as soon as I picked it up. They had the .40 too but I already have 9mm ammo en sech so that's what I went with. I think I'm already in love with this little guy.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think I'm "pulling the trigger" on a Glock 19 tomorrow been thinking about it for 6 months. This is going to be my first pistol going with the G19 because it's a great size for both myself and my wife plus eventually I can conceal carry (had the permit for 3 months).

Step 2 is training for the entire family was going to that first but decided it would be best for us to train with the same gun we will own.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think I'm "pulling the trigger" on a Glock 19 tomorrow been thinking about it for 6 months. This is going to be my first pistol going with the G19 because it's a great size for both myself and my wife plus eventually I can conceal carry (had the permit for 3 months).

Step 2 is training for the entire family was going to that first but decided it would be best for us to train with the same gun we will own.

Went with a buddy to watch him purchase a 19 a couple weeks ago. He's probably ran 200-300 rds through it so far and really really likes it. Nice rig.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a pretty good (and long) Shield review by Nutnfancy if interested....

[YOUTUBE]/_xVUJAxv3SM[/YOUTUBE]

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went with a buddy to watch him purchase a 19 a couple weeks ago. He's probably ran 200-300 rds through it so far and really really likes it. Nice rig.

I haven't heard anyone that had one say anything negative and online the only problem I found was some jamming with gen 4 but that seems to have worked it's way out.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't heard anyone that had one say anything negative and online the only problem I found was some jamming with gen 4 but that seems to have worked it's way out.

Yeah, my buddy bought a gen 3 because he said he'd read/heard of some issues with the gen 4. I haven't really looked into it myself but I imagine Glock gets their shit straightened out pretty quickly.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ended up with the gen 3 also held both of them and just liked the feel of the G3 better so I went with it. Feel pretty good in that on the Glock forums you have guys that don't like the G4 Glocks but there seems to be a consensus that G3 are all solid at least for the 19.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ended up with the gen 3 also held both of them and just liked the feel of the G3 better so I went with it. Feel pretty good in that on the Glock forums you have guys that don't like the G4 Glocks but there seems to be a consensus that G3 are all solid at least for the 19.

Good deal. I have no doubt that you'll enjoy it.

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bought my wife a Sig P238 originally to carry. Its the perfect size, but I dont trust hers or my life with it. It just has too many misfires. I should probably send it out and get some work done on the feed ramp, but I havent. I carry it when I ride my motorcycle. Ended up getting her a S&W 642 Airweight J-Frame with the laser site and a carry purse. Really nice gun, but dont take your wife to the range for the first time and use +P ammo with it. Kind of scared her a little at first and its not a pleasant experience.

I want a HK45 Compact and will own one someday soon, but for now, I just carry my CZ SPO1 in the car and my Sig P220 in the truck.

OnlyCrimson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before making a gun choice for a new ccw you need to ask yourself what you are willing to do with the gun. Are you willing to be offensive or just defensive? Do you want the gun to just protect you and your family? Are you willing and capable of intervening an active shooter situation?

If you want the gun for defensive purposes only then a J Frame Smith in either 38spl or 357 is hard to beat.

If you are willing to react in a offensive matter then a revolver is a not a good choice (there's a reason why cops don't carry revolvers as their primary anymore). You will need a more modern semi automatic with a higher capacity and the ability of quick reloads (yes I know revolvers can be speed loaded but it's easier to carry a GLOCK 26 with a 10 + 1 capacity than a J Frame Smith with a 5 shot capacity and one 5 shot speed loader).

Decide on what your skill level is regarding proficiency and then be honest with yourself and determine what you can and what you are willing to do with the gun.

OnlyCrimson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bought my wife a Sig P238 originally to carry. Its the perfect size, but I dont trust hers or my life with it. It just has too many misfires. I should probably send it out and get some work done on the feed ramp, but I havent. I carry it when I ride my motorcycle. Ended up getting her a S&W 642 Airweight J-Frame with the laser site and a carry purse. Really nice gun, but dont take your wife to the range for the first time and use +P ammo with it. Kind of scared her a little at first and its not a pleasant experience.

I want a HK45 Compact and will own one someday soon, but for now, I just carry my CZ SPO1 in the car and my Sig P220 in the truck.

I have a Sig P229 that's a year old and I don't trust it all. Sig's quality seems to have gone down a lot and I will never buy another Sig product again.