• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

George IIoka suspension overturned

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gronk shouldn't have played again this regular season for what he did. His was far and away the worst.

I'm too biased between JuJu and Iloka to compare there, but I think they both deserved their suspensions. It's shitty to see one get to skate.

come on that's over the top! Should it have been a longer suspension, probably but NOT for the season. Hell, Talib and Crabtree have a history of doing this before and only got 2 games, reduced to one... Gronk has never done something this stupid before....... Again, highly stupid and there was no way he shouldn't get a suspension for it but for the rest of the season give me a break

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
come on that's over the top! Should it have been a longer suspension, probably but NOT for the season. Hell, Talib and Crabtree have a history of doing this before and only got 2 games, reduced to one... Gronk has never done something this stupid before....... Again, highly stupid and there was no way he shouldn't get a suspension for it but for the rest of the season give me a break
I don't think so. I draw a line between a penalty played during a game, and deliberately throwing your weight into the back of a prone players helmet well after the play is over.

That goes way beyond anything I can accept out of players.

And I mean the rest of the regular season. Not the playoffs. I'd let him back for the playoffs. Basically I think he deserved about a 4 game suspension for that bullshit.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so. I draw a line between a penalty played during a game, and deliberately throwing your weight into the back of a prone players helmet well after the play is over.

And I mean the rest of the regular season. Not the playoffs. I'd let him back for the playoffs. Basically I think he deserved about a 4 game suspension for that bullshit.

IF he had a history of things of that nature then he would possibly have gotten 4 games.. Reduced down to 2.... I'm not saying what he did was right at all, he certainly was an idiot and deserves to be suspended.... Just not for the remainder of the regular season imo.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's be clear... I'm not defending what Gronk did. I also think he was lucky to get one game. I've already said as much on other threads.

That being said, how is what Gronk did different than what mike Evans did? (Please see video I posted earlier). Where is the outrage from steelers fans about that punishment in relation to JuJu?

Look, I truly enjoy steelers/pats rivalry but I'm shocked at how much the pats are inside the heads of steelers players and coaches. They talk about the pats every week. They admittedly are looking past that weeks opponents to the game with the pats. I can't recall a HC or players ever acknowledging that.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How many multi-game suspensions have been handed out for something that happened on the field? Whether the play was over or not? And how many of those multi-game suspensions were given to players who had a history of dirty play?

There's just no precedent. The Mike Evans hit is the best comp and he got a game.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be clear... I'm not defending what Gronk did. I also think he was lucky to get one game. I've already said as much on other threads.

That being said, how is what Gronk did different than what mike Evans did? (Please see video I posted earlier). Where is the outrage from steelers fans about that punishment in relation to JuJu?

Look, I truly enjoy steelers/pats rivalry but I'm shocked at how much the pats are inside the heads of steelers players and coaches. They talk about the pats every week. They admittedly are looking past that weeks opponents to the game with the pats. I can't recall a HC or players ever acknowledging that.

How many multi-game suspensions have been handed out for something that happened on the field? Whether the play was over or not? And how many of those multi-game suspensions were given to players who had a history of dirty play?

There's just no precedent. The Mike Evans hit is the best comp and he got a game.
Mike Evans probrably deserved more than his 1 game suspension too. And yeah, the Patriots are our Boogey Man. I'm not unbiased here.

I still see a difference between what Evans did, and very purposefully doing an elbow drop on the back of a prone players head well after the whistle.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Evans probrably deserved more than his 1 game suspension too. And yeah, the Patriots are our Boogey Man. I'm not unbiased here.

I still see a difference between what Evans did, and very purposefully doing an elbow drop on the back of a prone players head well after the whistle.
No two situations are exactly the same of course. But Evans/Gronk hits are pretty close. Both attacked the head, both were well after the whistle.

And like I said, there's just no precedent to suspend a player who has 0 history of anything remotely like this for multiple games.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Evans incident also resulted in a full on team on team fight. The Gronk incident did not. Again, I am NOT defending Gronk. Again, IMO he was lucky to get only one game. But to say that the Gronk hit is the ONLY "bad" hit ALL SEASON is just bias

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No two situations are exactly the same of course. But Evans/Gronk hits are pretty close. Both attacked the head, both were well after the whistle.

And like I said, there's just no precedent to suspend a player who has 0 history of anything remotely like this for multiple games.

There is no requirement of a history of assault. Yes, that is what it was. It was not a dirty play, it was flat out assault. It was not just losing ones cool and pushing a guy or even throwing a punch in frustration. It was an outright intent to injure. This sentence should have been the precedent that it is not needed. NFL blew it. As usual they are more concerned with money than player safety. If a nobody or someone on a small market team did this they would be done for the year.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no requirement of a history of assault. Yes, that is what it was. It was not a dirty play, it was flat out assault. It was not just losing ones cool and pushing a guy or even throwing a punch in frustration. It was an outright intent to injure. This sentence should have been the precedent that it is not needed. NFL blew it. As usual they are more concerned with money than player safety. If a nobody or someone on a small market team did this they would be done for the year.
So what you are saying is that this is the most egregious hit we've seen, because no player has gotten a year suspension for a first-time offense of an on-field incident.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what you are saying is that this is the most egregious hit we've seen, because no player has gotten a year suspension for a first-time offense of an on-field incident.

Yes. The guy was face down on the field already and defenseless long after the play was over. This was criminal assault.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. The guy was face down on the field already and defenseless long after the play was over. This was criminal assault.
Your first sentence is true, but to think that it's the worst hit in the history of the NFL is absurd. To think that it is so much worse than every other hit that has always gotten one game, to the point where he should be suspend for the season, is also absurd. You said that if a no-name player did this, he would get the full year. Erik Walden ripped off Delanie Walker's helmet and then head-butted him in the face while he still had his helmet on. All after the play was over. Got 1 game.

Charles Martin got 2 games for literally grabbing Jim McMahon and body slamming him after the play was over.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your first sentence is true, but to think that it's the worst hit in the history of the NFL is absurd. To think that it is so much worse than every other hit that has always gotten one game, to the point where he should be suspend for the season, is also absurd. You said that if a no-name player did this, he would get the full year. Erik Walden ripped off Delanie Walker's helmet and then head-butted him in the face while he still had his helmet on. All after the play was over. Got 1 game.

Charles Martin got 2 games for literally grabbing Jim McMahon and body slamming him after the play was over.

Those guys were in position to defend themselves. Stop being such a homer. Gronk is lucky if this guy does not press charges.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those guys were in position to defend themselves. Stop being such a homer. Gronk is lucky if this guy does not press charges.
They were in a position to defend themselves? Delanie Walker was going to be able to defend himself from a helmet flying at his face from a foot away? Marshon Lattimore was able to defend himself from Mike Evans? Aaron Rodgers was able to defend himself from Suh stomping on him? Jim McMahon was able to defend himself from Charles Martin grabbing him from behind and body slamming him?

Funny how all these guys can apparently defend themselves, and all of them chose not to.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You realize there have been 5 incidents in the last 30seasons of players being suspended multiple games for an on-field incident.

Burfict twice, 3 games each, and both were because of repeated behavior.
Brandon Meriweather, 2 games because of repeated behavior
Ndamukong Suh, 2 games because of repeated behavior
Albert Haynesworth, 5 games because of repeated behavior

It's not homerism to think it would be unprecedented to suspend Gronk for multiple games. It's a fact.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were in a position to defend themselves? Delanie Walker was going to be able to defend himself from a helmet flying at his face from a foot away? Marshon Lattimore was able to defend himself from Mike Evans? Aaron Rodgers was able to defend himself from Suh stomping on him? Jim McMahon was able to defend himself from Charles Martin grabbing him from behind and body slamming him?

Funny how all these guys can apparently defend themselves, and all of them chose not to.

Yes they were in position to defend themselves. They probably thought they would not have to. Stop being a homer. Gronk assaulted a guy.

Those other incidents were nowhere near as serious.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they were in position to defend themselves. They probably thought they would not have to. Stop being a homer. Gronk assaulted a guy.

Those other incidents were nowhere near as serious.
You are blind if you think those guys were in position to defend themselves. Lattimore and McMahon were hit from behind. Apparently it's expected for them to have eyes in the back of their heads.

And I'm sure the Bears and McMahon felt it was pretty serious considering he was lost for the season because of that hit.