• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Geez this team is terrible

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there any positive stat that the Reds are good ? This looks like it could be a historically bad season for the Reds. Not just worst in Reds francize history, but MLB history.

The hitting will probably get better. and the pitching will have better games. But I don't see them putting together any kind of run where they will win more than 60 games, and that is a very optimistic number. and that's still 102 loses.
I think 60 wins is a high side.
The problem is that eventually they will have to decide if throwing more innings to rescue a beached cargo ship is worth it. Castillo and Mahle don't need to throw 200 innings unless it helps them in 2019. Who's to say they don't get hurt anyhow? Romano isn't going to hold up. Bailey will throw his innings, get his numbers and just go on with it.
So what do they do now, bring up guys from AAA to get "experience" at getting hammered? Triple-A pitchers are not going to win more than 35 games as a team over a season.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Triple-A pitchers are not going to win more than 35 games as a team over a season.
35 wins with the 8 they already have might be a plus at this point.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it starts. maybe the ridiculous scenery change theory will prove helpful to harvey. gun to head - i've watched harvey for 7 years and he has proven himself a man-child. performance? pretty ugly. see yuh devin.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well they just got Matt Harvey... So they are going up

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
contributors are repeating many of the same points that have been made many times before on this board. some of them are almost word for word. maybe that's an indicator of how bad this team is. i don't know. however, disinterest does set in. i don't know what to say to season ticket holders, other than i know the feeling when -you know for sure- you've been cheated. maybe that moment has come and gone, because the rest of this month's schedule looks like a minimum of 15 more losses to me. i think that may be optimistic.

the darwin question raised by john isn't a horrible or completely unfair one. broadcasters and writers have overly praised him. the desperation part is a given h-n-r, but mr. u has a point. lots of merengue pablum being spewed from these guy's pie holes for quite some time now. my favorite spat ort was 'no nonsense.' apparently, riggleman, darwin, and kelly are all 'no nonsense' guys. no nonsense. well….i'm glad to hear that these fellas have sense. that's a big relief. and here all this time i've been thinking they were absurdists masquerading and pirouetting around in pajamas wearing oversized beanies and shoes that make noise.

realistically, without any yes man spin, i think he's good and needs more time. he is unfamiliar with half the pitchers on staff. he will become a very good mlb pitching coach. who knows? maybe it won't be with the reds. it was a meteoric promotion that bypassed coaches that had worked their way up through the system. what message does that send them?

it would seem things are in disarray organizationally at every level. will harvey sign with the reds in 2019? i really don't think so. his 2018 performance is irrelevant. the reds were more concerned with cutting the 13 million $ going to meseraco. looking at the stands at gabp i can see why. i saw a medium wide shot the other night of approx 75 fans. 50+ of them were looking at their machines; not the field. review: nothing back for meseraco other than cash. anybody want to venture a guess at how devin will do up here?

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harvey? They just said Harvey is going to pitch a game on the up coming road trip. Who they going to move out of the rotation, What makes them think Harvey will pitch any better than any of the starters they already have. And what makes them think he is finally going to grow up.. I think the Reds just took over the Mets problem. When you are as bad as the Reds are right now. It can't get any worse

Hope Mess good luck over there

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The notion that Harvey can give them Bronson innings is appealing on one level, absurd on another. Mesoraco wasn't coming back anyway but he would have been a nice flip at the deadline. Mets were desperate for a pitcher and the Reds probably saw it as an easy way to deal Mesoraco without having to deal with qualifying offers. Harvey is pitching for a contract.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should say Mets were desperate for A CATCHER

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if the Mets will sign Mesoraco but he's with Frazier and Bruce now, two of his contemporaries. Mets have to find something of a catcher and I don't know if Mesoraco is the guy they need.
I think the Reds could have made a better deal at the deadline with an AL team needing a DH-C.
Harvey might be sending a message to Finnegan. Otherwise, not much there.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rebuild is over. The Reds are starting to add the final pieces that will catipult them toward their Championship run. Fortunately I already have tickets to all remaining games. I've already picked the spot on Fountain Square where I'll be sitting when the parade comes by.

Seriously, this crap just keeps getting worse. DW says they've watched video and thinks they can fix Matt Harvey. As of game time they still haven't even talked to the guy to gauge his interest in being fixed. I'm not sure what fixing the guy means. Are they going to neuter him?

The Reds aren't dumping payroll with this trade. They actually believe they've made a good baseball decision. That's the problem.

The Mets have a pitcher that is AWOL. The Reds welcome him into the fold and send them a position player they need and cash to offset the salary differential. They aren't saving money, but they've added kindling to the inferno.

Regardless, I've already got my spot picked out on Fountain Square. The team has a better chance of setting a record for losses than winning a Championship anytime soon. There may not be a parade.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was disappointed Castillo was yanked with 2 outs in the 5th as if winning that game was the objective in producing a winning pitcher.
The Reds are sure they can fix Harvey but they are clueless about Wandy Peralta. It took a freak-show DP to save his ass.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how much cash did the reds give the mets? was it a even split? mesoraco was at 13mil and harvey was near 5 mil. shame on the reds if they didn't save some cash to pay griffey jr. his 4mil this year.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how much cash did the reds give the mets? was it a even split? mesoraco was at 13mil and harvey was near 5 mil. shame on the reds if they didn't save some cash to pay griffey jr. his 4mil this year.
As I read it, the Mets paid Harvey's salary and the Reds paid Mesoraco's salary. So each team paid their own players, then traded them.i
I guess it depends on how you look at it, based on Mesoraco's history. He's probably not that great a catcher anyway but he was our guy. I would have thought he'd yield a better return. Then again, Harvey is a big-league pitcher with a resume.
The problem is, he's a "rental" and the team is not going to prosper with him in 2018-2019-2020 ... and yet, the 50 or so guys who auditioned for a Reds rotation spot over the last 4 years have mostly pissed on their own shoes.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets have to find something of a catcher and I don't know if Mesoraco is the guy they need.

Mesoraco has the chance to show what he has now. After his injury he could never get back to what he did in 2014, even when he was healthy. That injury may have gotten into his head I don't know. But I hope he does well

As far as Matt Harvey goes, If he even shows up. I don't think he will do anything but piss off players in the club house and be gone in a very short time.

Dick Williams is next on the list after Price to go, And I'm sure he knows it

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dick Williams is next on the list after Price to go, And I'm sure he knows it

So far, DW is talking the right talk. He has the GM jargon down pat now, with double-talk and waffling being the key phrases of the day. All the GMs talk that way with the "we" being a key part of it. Makes them look like there is a braintrust at work from Billings to Pensacola.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here's a quote from the ESPN story I read.

"The Reds agreed to pay the Mets $5,788,978 as part of the trade, which made the deal come out nearly even financially. Harvey is making $5,625,000 on a one-year contract".

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was disappointed Castillo was yanked with 2 outs in the 5th as if winning that game was the objective in producing a winning pitcher.

Castillo was cruising and was pulled as soon as he hit a bump in the road. His pitch count was 81 when he hit the shower. This has been a growing trend this year for the Reds.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Castillo was cruising and was pulled as soon as he hit a bump in the road. His pitch count was 81 when he hit the shower. This has been a growing trend this year for the Reds.
Sooner or later, he has to pitch through that. Garrett was really sloppy. I guess it doesn't matter but managing by "the book" is all Riggleman is going to do. That won't hurt the process but it's not advancing it either. He's running a short bench anyhow and he seems to be somewhat clueless about how to manage a pitching staff.
As if that pitching staff is manageable.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so, the reds did save a a few million in the deal.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice game today, no hitting but the defense was good. Votto was picking it along with Peraza.

If matt Harvey shows up, and makes into the rotation. Going to a 6 man rotation may not be all that bad. could maybe save the younger guys fron being shelved in Aug. but I can see it making the bullpen short a player. So that might void my idea