• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: GDT: Nordalanche @ Kings

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gravel recalled yesterday, Folin on IR and eligible to return Dec 27.

Doesn't sound too serious but with only 2 games between tonight and the 28th when they play Vegas no rush. Pretty good story too, Gravel was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease last summer, recovered and it looks like the scouting reports from Ontario to LA have been good:

Kevin Gravel is recalled by Kings after dealing with Crohn's disease

Was wondering with Folin on IR if they would call up LaDue, a RH defender who is most comfortable on the right side or Gravel, a LH defender who can play either side. Looks like they went with versatility. Would like to see LaDue get into some games this season, both he and Gravel are 25 and will be RFAs needing new deals next summer.

If the Kings make the POs, which is looking likely, he should be called up after the deadline and on the NHL roster. For a player to be eligible for the AHL playoffs they must be on the AHL roster by 12pm PST on Trade Deadline Day, and NHL teams are permitted 4 non-emergency recalls after the deadline where Waivers don't apply. These are essentially "paper transactions" to make sure guys on the NHL roster can play for the Calder Cup if their NHL team is eliminated but the AHL team is still playing.

However, it's getting close to fish or cut bait time with those two so keep an eye on them, one most likely will not be here next summer if Folin (will be a GIII UFA) is resigned. Fantenberg will also be an RFA but I can see the Kings keeping him, he hasn't played too bad for a guy playing NA hockey for the first time in his career and has some decent offensive smarts about him. I like what I have seen out of Folin though, so I hope they keep him in a 2 year deal, he is a solid 3-5 defender - big, physical, not a bad skater - and those RH shots are hard to find.

Gravel should be in the lineup tonight against Colorado. I expect Fantenberg to be scratched and McDermid inserted, Nikita Zadorov is a big man (6'5"/233) and their incumbent enforcer. While Clifford would willingly throw with him, he would be out of his weight class in "the code". This is McDermid territory. My guess on defense will be:

Doughty/Muzzin
Martinez/Gravel
McDermid/Forbert

Of course I could be completely wrong and we see Fantenberg in place of McDermid since Colorado has some youth and speed as well.

Kings will honor Gaborik tonight for his 1000th NHL Game played last Friday against the Rangers. It will be Dustin Brown's 1000th NHL Game tonight and while he will probably get informally honored by fans and the team his night should be Dec 28 against Vegas.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was hoping to see Bernier start but it looks like the Kings will get Varlamov:

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice script, good way to end the game and celebrate his 1000th game. Kings looked lazy the first 45-50 minutes, after Martinez's goal they seem to have woken up.

Ugly win but a win nonetheless.