• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Garza passed on Angels because he was on vacation at time of offer

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Angels remade their rotation by acquiring Hector Santiago and Tyler Skaggs this offseason, but the team also made a run at signing Matt Garza. They reportedly offered him a contract similar to the four-year, $50 million pact he recently took from the Brewers.

So why didn't Garza jump at the Angels' offer weeks ago? He is from California, after all. Turns out he and his wife were on vacation when the offer was made and the Halos didn't feel like waiting around for his answer. From MLB.com's Adam McCalvy:

“They offered, but it was more of a weird situation,” said Garza, who wound up getting $50 million in guaranteed money from Milwaukee. “I was on vacation with my wife and I didn't want to be disturbed, and it was like, ‘Here it is, we'll pull it in a certain amount of hours.' I didn't have a chance to respond, so I just said, ‘Whatever. It is what it is.'”

He added: “It wasn't anything big. It was an offer and I said, ‘I'm on vacation. I'm not thinking about baseball, Dude. Me and my wife are enjoying ourselves.'”

McCalvy says Garza and his wife were on an anniversary trip in Turks and Caicos at the time. The Angels were not willing to wait for answer and decided to move on.

Garza, 30, went 10-6 with a 3.82 ERA (106 ERA+) in 155 1/3 innings for the Cubs and Rangers last summer while dealing with some injury problems. The Angels used the money they offered Garza to sign role players like Raul Ibanez and Joe Smith, as well as afford David Freese via trade.

Garza passed on Angels because he was on vacation at time of offer - CBSSports.com

So weird, and if you really wanted to sign him, you could have waited for a response. And pretty dumb move choosing the Brewers over Angels.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Angels organization is a joke.

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Angels organization is a joke.

THIS is a fact. After yrs of listening to all the BS about how wonderful this organization is we can all see that isn't true. They spend money like idiots among other things and have virtually nothing to show for it but another team that cant compete. Expect more of the same this yr.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS is a fact. After yrs of listening to all the BS about how wonderful this organization is we can all see that isn't true. They spend money like idiots among other things and have virtually nothing to show for it but another team that cant compete. Expect more of the same this yr.

They get away with it though because their fans know virtually nothing about baseball. They're the most pretentious, silly fans in all of sports. The implosion of the Buttjols and Hamilton careers after the albatross contracts is positively the greatest thing I've ever witnessed in sports. :D