• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game day

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think White has more potential. He is slow footed, but he can sling it. Rush, he just doesn't do it for me. He did get better after his first couple of series, but by then it might as well have been you and me out there on D
I loved the Mike White pick and am excited to see as much of him as possible this preseason. I think he can be an NFL starter. Let's see if he can read an NFL defense on the fly and play with pressure in his face.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard that Gathers is about as smart as a bag of hammers, and after a full redshirt season, still doesn't have a clue about where to go from play to play. They just cut Dez because he couldn't run a full route tree, I'd expect Gathers to be cut sooner than later

It seems to be the general consensus that Gathers doesn't get the Xs and Os of football very well. Obviously, none of us here can really know the truth of it.

There have been plenty of guys some might consider "smart as a bag of hammers" that have had successful careers in the NFL. I don't think we should completely discount this organizations track record of developing TEs over the last 10 years, either. The fact that the coaching staff gave Shultz considerably more playing time than Rico is highly questionable IMO. Gathers is the guy in the TE group with real potential, yet they don't give him hardly any opportunity in a preseason game - this is his 3rd year in the organization, he hasn't missed any practice that I have read, has flashed some playmaking ability here and there in practice, and on top of that Shultz (a rookie) missed time within the past week leading up to the game. Just screams of a bias against Gathers IMO.

I'm not laying the blame for Rico's lack of development at the feet of the coaching staff, but I think they have certainly made some questionable decisions regarding how they have handled Gathers to this point.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LVE actually graded out well the other night...

According to who? Can you share a link, please? I'd be interested to read what the writer has to say about LVE.

I re-watched the portion of the game LVE played - he was on the field for 32 total snaps, 1 nullified by penalty and 1 called back by penalty. LVE was credited with 1 solo tackle and 3 assisted, although it was pretty generous to credit him with his last assisted tackle. He was okay in coverage - although not really tested at all with the exception of the ball he intercepted well out of bounds - generally seemed to be in the right place. The offense ran the ball 11 times while LVE was in the game - he had 1 tackle (made after a 6 yard rush), 1 assisted tackle, and 1 missed tackle in these plays. On 7 of those rushing attempts LVE was engaged by blockers a few yards beyond the line of scrimmage, and only on 3 of the attempts did LVE fill a gap. IMO, LVE was okay in pass coverage, although untested. Against the run he was very passive, and not really much of a factor. If he got a positive grade for that, well then the standards are not that high I suppose.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems to be the general consensus that Gathers doesn't get the Xs and Os of football very well. Obviously, none of us here can really know the truth of it.

There have been plenty of guys some might consider "smart as a bag of hammers" that have had successful careers in the NFL. I don't think we should completely discount this organizations track record of developing TEs over the last 10 years, either. The fact that the coaching staff gave Shultz considerably more playing time than Rico is highly questionable IMO. Gathers is the guy in the TE group with real potential, yet they don't give him hardly any opportunity in a preseason game - this is his 3rd year in the organization, he hasn't missed any practice that I have read, has flashed some playmaking ability here and there in practice, and on top of that Shultz (a rookie) missed time within the past week leading up to the game. Just screams of a bias against Gathers IMO.

I'm not laying the blame for Rico's lack of development at the feet of the coaching staff, but I think they have certainly made some questionable decisions regarding how they have handled Gathers to this point.
I don't really see why Fathers has the most potential though. Maybe he does, but JG knows he has to make the playoffs this year or else, and with Witten gone, they still won't play the guy significant snaps in a preseason opener, I think it speaks to what they think of him

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really see why Fathers has the most potential though. Maybe he does, but JG knows he has to make the playoffs this year or else, and with Witten gone, they still won't play the guy significant snaps in a preseason opener, I think it speaks to what they think of him

Gathers presents a mismatch opportunity that the other guys on the roster can't possibly replicate. As far as the coaching staff and what they think of Gathers, well I think we can all see what they think of him - Garrett seldom misses an opportunity to talk about the negative aspects of Gathers' game.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to who? Can you share a link, please? I'd be interested to read what the writer has to say about LVE.

I re-watched the portion of the game LVE played - he was on the field for 32 total snaps, 1 nullified by penalty and 1 called back by penalty. LVE was credited with 1 solo tackle and 3 assisted, although it was pretty generous to credit him with his last assisted tackle. He was okay in coverage - although not really tested at all with the exception of the ball he intercepted well out of bounds - generally seemed to be in the right place. The offense ran the ball 11 times while LVE was in the game - he had 1 tackle (made after a 6 yard rush), 1 assisted tackle, and 1 missed tackle in these plays. On 7 of those rushing attempts LVE was engaged by blockers a few yards beyond the line of scrimmage, and only on 3 of the attempts did LVE fill a gap. IMO, LVE was okay in pass coverage, although untested. Against the run he was very passive, and not really much of a factor. If he got a positive grade for that, well then the standards are not that high I suppose.
No link, I heard Brian Broaddus talking about it. It seems like you didn't like the LVE pick, which is alright, but I think the kid is going to be a heck of a player, if not this season, then next. The Cowboys know what they are doing in the draft, and they love the kid. I know there were a lot of folks that were down on Taco Charlton last season, but that kid looks like a beast so far this year.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gathers presents a mismatch opportunity that the other guys on the roster can't possibly replicate. As far as the coaching staff and what they think of Gathers, well I think we can all see what they think of him - Garrett seldom misses an opportunity to talk about the negative aspects of Gathers' game.
Garrett put up with Dez Bryant's crap for years...if he thought Gathers could help the team, he would be on the field. We will see in time, if the Cowboys cut him, someone else will give him a shot because of his size. He will get his chances

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like you didn't like the LVE pick, which is alright, but I think the kid is going to be a heck of a player, if not this season, then next. The Cowboys know what they are doing in the draft, and they love the kid. I know there were a lot of folks that were down on Taco Charlton last season, but that kid looks like a beast so far this year.

Wonder how you got that idea? Hahah :noidea:

Will McClay knows what he is doing, absolutely. I don't think the Taco situation is comparable, JMO. Taco didn't have questions about his toughness. I think LVE has a lot of talent, but I question his "want to" when he's getting mauled by 300+ pound linemen.

I'll leave it at that and we can revisit this topic at the end of the year. I'm not rooting for the guy to fail, just calling it how I see it to this point.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garrett put up with Dez Bryant's crap for years...if he thought Gathers could help the team, he would be on the field. We will see in time, if the Cowboys cut him, someone else will give him a shot because of his size. He will get his chances

Dez was Jerry's boy. Jerry often said he thought of Dez as a son. Not sure how much Garrett factored into that equation. And Dez was an all-pro talent for a few of those years, too. Gathers has a LOOONNGGG way to go before we we can even begin to compare him to Dez.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that the coaching staff gave Shultz considerably more playing time than Rico is highly questionable IMO. Gathers is the guy in the TE group with real potential, yet they don't give him hardly any opportunity in a preseason game - this is his 3rd year in the organization, he hasn't missed any practice that I have read, has flashed some playmaking ability here and there in practice, and on top of that Shultz (a rookie) missed time within the past week leading up to the game. Just screams of a bias against Gathers IMO.
Did you see Schultz's block on the first run (I think it was the first one) of the game? Maybe that's why or maybe he has earned those snaps by doing things the way the coaches want him to in practice regardless of whether he missed a few or not. Plus, they obviously seem to have higher hopes for him than Rico at this point and Rico seems to be entrenched as the #4 right now, so why wouldn't he play more? We all want Rico to step up and he has plenty of time to earn more snaps and a roster spot, but he better start doing so soon. If he can't block or learn the play book it won't matter because then he can't really be a TE for us and we may be better off taking an extra WR over him if all he will do is run patterns out of the slot and not help on STs

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see Schultz's block on the first run (I think it was the first one) of the game? Maybe that's why or maybe he has earned those snaps by doing things the way the coaches want him to in practice regardless of whether he missed a few or not. Plus, they obviously seem to have higher hopes for him than Rico at this point and Rico seems to be entrenched as the #4 right now, so why wouldn't he play more? We all want Rico to step up and he has plenty of time to earn more snaps and a roster spot, but he better start doing so soon. If he can't block or learn the play book it won't matter because then he can't really be a TE for us and we may be better off taking an extra WR over him if all he will do is run patterns out of the slot and not help on STs

Well I think the coaching staff needs to let the guy fail on the field in games when it matters. They keep Gathers locked away under the premise that he doesn't know the playbook and can't block. Well let him show it on the field then, and if he can't then cut him - this is what preseason is for. All I know is in the very limited action we have seen Gathers in, he has not been the liability that the coaching staff would have people believe he is. Let him sink or swim. It seems like the coaching staff has already made their mind up about Swaim, Jarwin and Shultz, so why would it hurt to let Gathers get out there and see what he can do - some guys perform better under the lights.

This is the same coaching staff that carried four TEs with Gavin Escobar for years, and Escobar got to see the field most weeks - talk about a guy who can't block.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I think the coaching staff needs to let the guy fail on the field in games when it matters. They keep Gathers locked away under the premise that he doesn't know the playbook and can't block. Well let him show it on the field then, and if he can't then cut him - this is what preseason is for. All I know is in the very limited action we have seen Gathers in, he has not been the liability that the coaching staff would have people believe he is. Let him sink or swim. It seems like the coaching staff has already made their mind up about Swaim, Jarwin and Shultz, so why would it hurt to let Gathers get out there and see what he can do - some guys perform better under the lights.

This is the same coaching staff that carried four TEs with Gavin Escobar for years, and Escobar got to see the field most weeks - talk about a guy who can't block.
I agree they should give him chances on the field and think they will, but there were issues last year too where he missed blocks in the preseason (I think one led to a sack or turnover at the goal line?) and wasn't where he was supposed to be. Escobar was a much better blocker than Rico. It seems like Rico just doesn't give a shit. How can you be that big and that athletic and not be able to block AT ALL unless you just don't care to. I think If he stays healthy he will get his snaps. I think they are trying to make him earn them. Let's hope he makes some plays and shows the team what he can do.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they are trying to make him earn them. Let's hope he makes some plays and shows the team what he can do.

Here's a very nice catch from Gathers during yesterday's practice.

Gathers and Cooper Rush seem to have a nice connection.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a very nice catch from Gathers during yesterday's practice.

Gathers and Cooper Rush seem to have a nice connection.

Double bonus for you as it looks like LVE he beat!!!

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know. I was just kidding

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Campairing Dez and Gathers is faulty. Dez was an exceptional player for Dallas for years. What has Rico done to warrant " Put up with Crap?" You hate Dez and any chance you get to bash him, you do it. But your comparison is a big stretch.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Campairing Dez and Gathers is faulty. Dez was an exceptional player for Dallas for years. What has Rico done to warrant " Put up with Crap?" You hate Dez and any chance you get to bash him, you do it. But your comparison is a big stretch.
If you read it from the start, u wasn't comparing them as players, just the opposite. My point was, if they would cut Dez, who had at least been a good player at one point, why put up with a guy who has never been good and can't learn a playbook?
And I don't hate Dez, I just thought he sucked last year..and it looks like the entire NFL agrees

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you read it from the start, u wasn't comparing them as players, just the opposite. My point was, if they would cut Dez, who had at least been a good player at one point, why put up with a guy who has never been good and can't learn a playbook?
And I don't hate Dez, I just thought he sucked last year..and it looks like the entire NFL agrees
Jerry always thinks he is the smartest guy in the room, and rarely gives up on project. I still laugh at that Standbach nonsense lol

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we go