• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Game Day Nebraska' vs Northern Illinois

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i heard that sort of sentiment from Benning this morning on my drive in. He seemed to think Riley was more the high level guy and that his coordinators and position coaches were supposed to be taking care of the details and DB was saying he didn't know if MR had those type of guys on staff or at least in all positions. specifically mentioned on offense, just possibly they don't have that guy that can quickly identify: "this is what the defense is doing to us and this is the play that counters it", of course maybe they do and are trying to do that, but the blocking is so bad that it doesnt make a difference. But then that goes back to the o-line coach and what he has done to prepare for the game that week to get those guys so they dont miss those blocks.

the miscommunication and poor play of the offensive line is what drives me crazy. i can understand one missed assignment hear and there, but it seems like 1 guy or more is doing it like every play. I don't mind losing a game when the product on the field looks good and the other team out plays us, but when our guys don't play with discipline that really bothers me.

at this point it really seems like a Nebraska thing, i mean it was a problem under Bo and it is now a problem under Riley. I watched some Oregon state when MR was there and i don't recall seeing as much of this stuff, so what the frak is it about NU that seems to be causing this? is there a toxicity somewhere that I'm not thinking about? Is it the amount of pressure we as a fan base put on these kids?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DPE on special teams was maddening, with the brick hands even

He was making mistakes last season and in games 1 & 2 this season, yet there he is out there in game 3.
Between the HC, OC, DC, and ST coordinator, nobody can see a pattern?

DPE puts the offense in difficult situations starting at the 5, 2, etc..

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i heard that sort of sentiment from Benning this morning on my drive in. He seemed to think Riley was more the high level guy and that his coordinators and position coaches were supposed to be taking care of the details and DB was saying he didn't know if MR had those type of guys on staff or at least in all positions. specifically mentioned on offense, just possibly they don't have that guy that can quickly identify: "this is what the defense is doing to us and this is the play that counters it", of course maybe they do and are trying to do that, but the blocking is so bad that it doesnt make a difference. But then that goes back to the o-line coach and what he has done to prepare for the game that week to get those guys so they dont miss those blocks.

the miscommunication and poor play of the offensive line is what drives me crazy. i can understand one missed assignment hear and there, but it seems like 1 guy or more is doing it like every play. I don't mind losing a game when the product on the field looks good and the other team out plays us, but when our guys don't play with discipline that really bothers me.

at this point it really seems like a Nebraska thing, i mean it was a problem under Bo and it is now a problem under Riley. I watched some Oregon state when MR was there and i don't recall seeing as much of this stuff, so what the frak is it about NU that seems to be causing this? is there a toxicity somewhere that I'm not thinking about? Is it the amount of pressure we as a fan base put on these kids?

Wondered that myself over the years. Weak up front and sloppy everywhere else. Everybody blames the QB though. :noidea:

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was making mistakes last season and in games 1 & 2 this season, yet there he is out there in game 3.
Between the HC, OC, DC, and ST coordinator, nobody can see a pattern?

DPE puts the offense in difficult situations starting at the 5, 2, etc..
I could see Williams trying to talk to him but it didn't look like he was having any of it, last year for DPE and I was hoping for a big season from the kid. The injury might have got to his head

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just look some of the threads on the cfb board, it's not an issue isolated on this site either, Tennessee Lsu Boise st ucla... they're all reeling as well. These guys know what they're signing up for from the start.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so is it time to start blaming the damn kids a little more? or coaches for coddling them too damn much?

i was just reading this from Peter's: 1990's Husker star blasts coaching staff, A.D. on KWSN

definitely an interesting time in CFB right now.
Interesting read to say the least (seems like if SF came and made an offer he might accept). Amazing how the whole world knows what is wrong with the program and the coaches just dont seem to get it....Big rant decided to delete it, nothing anybody on here isnt thinking or heard already. I say fire DL

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it the amount of pressure we as a fan base put on these kids?
If that is the case, then it is high time they recruit non-pussies for line play. There is a saying - big time players show up big on game days. Got to tell you something, My daughter went into the loudest-nastiest places in the highest pressure situations and played her best. If she had an off night her coach would piss her off and she would play mad with a chip on her shoulder. It seems hard for all these men at Nebraska to all be such pansy ass'd push overs.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can be real mean and such during games and practice but don't let Riley see it, too scary. I just don't see a scenario where this experiment works out

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that if we was going to see positive results we would have seen them by now. I was never really impressed or on board with the Mike Riley hiring and I just honestly don't see how it's going to get any better truthfully I think we win one more game and that's against Illinois everything else is a hold your breath wait and see.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say Dan Mullen or Frost. I am leaning towards Mullen. I think we need somebody who can get in right away and start boxing with the big boys. Frost might be lightning in a bottle. But Dan's name is easily recognizable and I think he could recruit well where Frost I think would have to take at least 2 years to get established and it would be a more of a building process. I know Lincoln Riley has had success and Jimbo Fisher was a first-time head coach and there's other examples of that I just don't think Nebraska can really afford two "gamble" with Frost, when you have more of a sure thing with Dan Mullen

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really thought we were trending the right way at the end of the season. Going to the QB the coaches wanted, an o-line that had a bunch of experience. I wouldn't have even minded had they retained Banker.

It's the o-line play as I said above that kills me. I just can't comprehend why it was so bad. Experience, size advantage, talent is there but just doesn't look good. I point at Cav for it or as MR said just the players lack of communication on the field. The 2nd is really hard to understand though, unless they just don't give a shot. If u want to win then why aren't u communicating?

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Les Miles can't coach. He's exactly like Mack brown at Texas. Just absolutely loaded with talent. Dan Mullen or Frost

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree, no Les Miles. he wasn't that great at LSU and he had far superior talent to work with.

I'm on the fence on Frost still. I'd like it if he were a little more seasoned. yes he did a decent job in year 1, but i'd like to see how this season turns out and even next. if somehow Riley can get another year and next year isn't any better, that would be more my timing on taking Frost.

Mullen - its funny to me that people pull this name out and complain about the Riley hire too. his overall record at Miss St is 64-42 (60%), MR was 93-80 (54%) and this includes MRs 97 and 98 stint where he was 8-14, take that out and its 56%. Conference records are similar Mullen is 46% and MR was 48%. MR is praised for what he did at OSU, just keeping that team half way decent, i mean just look how Gary Anderson is doing there right now. recruiting will be harder for him and I've watched some MSU football and they seem to be just as sloppy as we are now. And don't look at their season last year, but they lost to a mediocre South Alabama team last year, not that much different than MR losing to NIU. not to mention the trouncings from Alabama and Auburn. lost to Arkansas and Kentucky too. I just don't see him as an improvement.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Frost is still writing up his resume. It's unfortunate UCF had two important games cancelled due to the hurricane. Memphis and Ga Tech would have been good litmus tests to add to his entire season. He can only be evaluated on 10 games this season.

I wouldn't fire Riley before the end of the season if even then. Anything other than a Saban/Meyer/Petersen type hire is just another knee jerk reaction made in anger. Those don't typically end well for the angry one.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Riley culture was established long ago at OSU and reaffirmed his first year here in all those losses - It's okay to lose and play sloppy football because you starters will never be pulled from the game unless your injured. Perhaps that is because the coach (Cav. for example) doesn't know enough to teach them the right way to play. By golly, I hope I'm wrong, but it sure looks that way on my TV.

I am staying out of who's the next coach talk for now but I do think we need Nebraska leadership to instill in the program Nebraska culture & pride along with hard working Nebraska values. Riley's first presser ever in Lincoln had him admitting he knew little about Nebraska Football - plain as day.