• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Game Day Nebraska' vs Northern Illinois

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noticing Rutgers tickets hitting facebook at or under face value.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats @iruletheskool. Celebrating my 30th anniversary this October. Best thing I ever did and the hardest thing I ever did.
If you both take the vows to each other seriously and be willing to do whatever it takes to keep them. Sometimes one side gives more, some times the other but it evens out.
And there's nothing better than growing old with a friend you lived your life with.

blkflagmafia

BANG BANG BLACK FLAG GBR!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
qft

This is the battle for staying out of last place in the B1G.

Nebraska hired the Oregon State coach, and is getting Oregon State results. Shocked I tell you.

There is enough evidence to point out that hiring a capable(ie winning) coach gets you a winning team. Hiring a losing coach gets you a losing team.

Right now, I do not think this team will win 5 or more games. When was the last time Nebraska finished last in the conference? We just might see it happen. Which will be a first in my lifetime of watching football. I lived overseas my first five years, most of it in Italy. For you young people, we did not have TV(not in Italy) or the internet back then.(duh)

Rutgers and Illinois are now 50/50 games. The rest of the games Nebraska is an underdog. In some cases, the underdog by a lot.

Mike Riley loses three road games per year. He lost one in Oregon. No way Nebraska beats Penn State. That leaves Illinois, Purdue, and Minnesota. None of those games are a guaranteed win.

1-2 Rutgers Nebraska will be favored
2-1 Illinois road game, Illinois probably gets the -3 home field advantage

This could be SEVEN straight losses

3-0 Wisconsin big underdog
2-1 Ohio State underdog or a big underdog
2-1 Purdue underdog road game
2-1 Northwestern underdog
3-0 Minnesota underdog road game
3-0 Penn State big underdog road game
3-0 Iowa underdog

Imagine what will be said if Nebraska loses to Rutgers.

Great post i honestly don't see us winnimg much maybe Rutgers minny nw and purdue.. but purdue looks improve rutgers see a wounded lamb in us right now.

This is why its time for mike to go...i hate coaches having to play another with the win or else tag or motto for the season no...just rip the bandaid off

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats @iruletheskool. Celebrating my 30th anniversary this October. Best thing I ever did and the hardest thing I ever did.
If you both take the vows to each other seriously and be willing to do whatever it takes to keep them. Sometimes one side gives more, some times the other but it evens out.
And there's nothing better than growing old with a friend you lived your life with.
35 years for me. This also helps for longevity :

"Yes Dear, you're absolutely right. I have no idea what I was thinking. I promise to never do /say /think that again. I love you so much."

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
34 years for me - just look at her and nod your head yes when she's talking. To avoid arguments say yep, your right and she won't know what to do with all her time.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you ever need advice for how to be single for your entire life and screw up every relationship you've ever had and blow up every fucking possible existence for love you come to me stool okay

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I remember being criticized when I said the only reason why Riley accepted the coaching offer from Eichorst is because he was on the hot seat at Oregon State at the time. If I was wrong, how come Riley turned down the offer from Alabama? Riley wasn't on the hot seat when Alabama gave him an offer.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
qft

This is the battle for staying out of last place in the B1G.

Nebraska hired the Oregon State coach, and is getting Oregon State results. Shocked I tell you.

There is enough evidence to point out that hiring a capable(ie winning) coach gets you a winning team. Hiring a losing coach gets you a losing team.

Right now, I do not think this team will win 5 or more games. When was the last time Nebraska finished last in the conference? We just might see it happen. Which will be a first in my lifetime of watching football. I lived overseas my first five years, most of it in Italy. For you young people, we did not have TV(not in Italy) or the internet back then.(duh)

Rutgers and Illinois are now 50/50 games. The rest of the games Nebraska is an underdog. In some cases, the underdog by a lot.

Mike Riley loses three road games per year. He lost one in Oregon. No way Nebraska beats Penn State. That leaves Illinois, Purdue, and Minnesota. None of those games are a guaranteed win.

1-2 Rutgers Nebraska will be favored
2-1 Illinois road game, Illinois probably gets the -3 home field advantage

This could be SEVEN straight losses

3-0 Wisconsin big underdog
2-1 Ohio State underdog or a big underdog
2-1 Purdue underdog road game
2-1 Northwestern underdog
3-0 Minnesota underdog road game
3-0 Penn State big underdog road game
3-0 Iowa underdog

Imagine what will be said if Nebraska loses to Rutgers.

I believe Nebraska will be favored over Illinois by a small amount. I see 3 or maybe 4 more wins tops unless the play calling changes. Cav needs to go. We have enough talent to win 8 or 9 games, but not the coaching to do so.

If that horrendous screen play wasn't called that was picked off early in that game, and Nebraska ran the ball down there, we either would have gotten 3 points or maybe even 7 points there. NIU would not have won the game then. I don't see shit like that changing the rest of this season. Nebraska appears to be on the way to a 4-8 or a 5-7 season. If that's the case then I would rather they not win any more games so Eichorst and his buddy Riley will be sent out on the next train.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't really want to say anything. but man, our offense sucks. which really takes me back to fall camp before we even started to play and why we were so hyped for the season. the offense was supposed to be the thing that made this year decent. a ton of returners on the o-line so it would be better and give TL time to hit the young and untested WRs. and the fact our new defense was giving them fits gave hope that this year would be decent.

instead, it turns out the reason our new defense looked decent in practice is because our freaking O-line is still horrible. i don't know how a bunch of returning starters could possibly regress on the o-line but they have. they kept saying Gates and some of the other big boys have a nasty streak, all i've seen so far is a bunch of sissy matadors with their olé capes letting defenders by.

I just don't get why our coaches didn't light a fire under those guys at halftime and just come out pounding the freaking rock. tell them it was on their backs we were going to win or lose and go with Ozigbo and just pound the damn thing. if it was 3 and out, so be it but let those guys take out some anger on the opponent. tell them if they miss their damn blocks, we are going to the next guy and let that guy have his damn shot.

anyway, i'm not going to quit on this team, but man i hope they give us something to cheer for the rest of the year. i'd hope this game wakes someone up on the team and hopefully they find a way to turn it around.

if i can find cheap tickets (which i'm guessing there will be plenty) i might head down to the game Saturday and cheer on our boys.

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't really want to say anything. but man, our offense sucks. which really takes me back to fall camp before we even started to play and why we were so hyped for the season. the offense was supposed to be the thing that made this year decent. a ton of returners on the o-line so it would be better and give TL time to hit the young and untested WRs. and the fact our new defense was giving them fits gave hope that this year would be decent.

instead, it turns out the reason our new defense looked decent in practice is because our freaking O-line is still horrible. i don't know how a bunch of returning starters could possibly regress on the o-line but they have. they kept saying Gates and some of the other big boys have a nasty streak, all i've seen so far is a bunch of sissy matadors with their olé capes letting defenders by.

I just don't get why our coaches didn't light a fire under those guys at halftime and just come out pounding the freaking rock. tell them it was on their backs we were going to win or lose and go with Ozigbo and just pound the damn thing. if it was 3 and out, so be it but let those guys take out some anger on the opponent. tell them if they miss their damn blocks, we are going to the next guy and let that guy have his damn shot.

anyway, i'm not going to quit on this team, but man i hope they give us something to cheer for the rest of the year. i'd hope this game wakes someone up on the team and hopefully they find a way to turn it around.

if i can find cheap tickets (which i'm guessing there will be plenty) i might head down to the game Saturday and cheer on our boys.

When has DL ever been committed to the run? He hasn't he wants to be balanced. We don't have many running plays and we have guards playing at tackles. NIU didn't do anything special on defense. They got DE's out wide basically a wide 9 front and ran around or under our guards playing tackles. We've seen the same damn plays over and over same formations it easy for the defense to get aggressive and jump routes when they know what the play is. Tanner Lee is Armstrong with out the wheels. He's missed a lot of wide open guys because he fixed on a pre snap read.

If Riley is still here after the season he got to make big changes on offensive coaching staff. DL and Cav have to go they are not getting it done.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To the people who think that Nebraska won't be able to get a great coach here, you are full of shit! Let's say for example that Riley and Eichorst gets the boot and the next AD hires a legitimate coach and gives him a 7 year contract for maybe 7 million per year. Why in the heck would that coach care if he doesn't do well and gets fired after 3 years or so, when he'll still have the rest of his contract money to feast on with a buyout?!

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think it comes back to the "who do you consider a great coach?" argument. i think it would be insanely difficult to get someone who is considered great right now that is already at another P5 school. Urbs and Saban would be impossible. Petersen is a pipe dream, i doubt he leaves W, who after that would you consider to be great?

so then who we looking at? Frost? some other none P5 coach that has been doing good? Sure, they'd be happy to take your 4M a year offer, but are they an upgrade?

Tressel might be the best option out there if he's looking to get back into coaching.

our biggest problem right now just seems like improvement on the field. I think we have talented guys, but why the hell aren't they getting any better? With all spring/summer/and now fall why does the o-line possibly look worse than at the end of last year when they were all injured? Not a single guy looks better this year. Farmer missing blocks all over the place, Foster isn't doing much better. Conrad is getting driven off the ball. too much damn patty cake practicing imo. get those boys knocking some heads during the week and see who actually wants to play.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Nebraska will be favored over Illinois by a small amount. I see 3 or maybe 4 more wins tops unless the play calling changes. Cav needs to go. We have enough talent to win 8 or 9 games, but not the coaching to do so.

If that horrendous screen play wasn't called that was picked off early in that game, and Nebraska ran the ball down there, we either would have gotten 3 points or maybe even 7 points there. NIU would not have won the game then. I don't see shit like that changing the rest of this season. Nebraska appears to be on the way to a 4-8 or a 5-7 season. If that's the case then I would rather they not win any more games so Eichorst and his buddy Riley will be sent out on the next train.
DL and MR brought this up thier answer was, paraphrasing, no way they could have known that play because we've never ran it out of that formation. Just like Beck running qb draw every 3 plays it doesn't really matter what the formation is the defense ready and waiting for a qb draw. Even the announcers knew what the playcall was and listed the tells for which WR was going to get the ball. Maybe we need to hire someone for oversight like an ex NFL GM or something

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think it comes back to the "who do you consider a great coach?" argument. i think it would be insanely difficult to get someone who is considered great right now that is already at another P5 school. Urbs and Saban would be impossible. Petersen is a pipe dream, i doubt he leaves W, who after that would you consider to be great?

so then who we looking at? Frost? some other none P5 coach that has been doing good? Sure, they'd be happy to take your 4M a year offer, but are they an upgrade?

Tressel might be the best option out there if he's looking to get back into coaching.

our biggest problem right now just seems like improvement on the field. I think we have talented guys, but why the hell aren't they getting any better? With all spring/summer/and now fall why does the o-line possibly look worse than at the end of last year when they were all injured? Not a single guy looks better this year. Farmer missing blocks all over the place, Foster isn't doing much better. Conrad is getting driven off the ball. too much damn patty cake practicing imo. get those boys knocking some heads during the week and see who actually wants to play.

Finding what will become elite coaches (HOF's) typically takes a some gamble. It's like trapping lightning in a bottle. They are few and far between.

Urbs was pretty obvious as he turned two mid-majors (Bowling Green & Utah) around quickly before Florida nabbed him.

Saban was more of a gamble. His 1st head coaching job was Mich St where he won about 6 games a year his first 4 years. His 5th and final year ('99) he finished Top 10 with wins over ranked Notre Dame, Michigan, and Ohio St.
Michigan St also beat Florida in their bowl game but Saban did not coach it. He had one great season at LSU before being sub-par in the NFL.
Hats off to the Bama AD for seeing the intangibles in what would be an elite coach provided the resources.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DL and MR brought this up thier answer was, paraphrasing, no way they could have known that play because we've never ran it out of that formation. Just like Beck running qb draw every 3 plays it doesn't really matter what the formation is the defense ready and waiting for a qb draw. Even the announcers knew what the playcall was and listed the tells for which WR was going to get the ball. Maybe we need to hire someone for oversight like an ex NFL GM or something

I think there was also a missed block there which goes back to 'attention to detail', the 'little things', lining up properly, and getting people where they need to be.

A disciplined team that does the little things well and lines up properly can beat a sloppy more athletically talented team more times than not. It's the difference between a Bill Snyder at lowly K. State and a Charlie Strong who had everything at tejas.

Our special teams tell a huge story about the state of the program. In just 3 games we've seen...

Blocked FG
Blocked Punt
Punt returned for TD
Fair Catch at the 5
Letting the ball hit outside the 10 and roll to the 2
Fair catching at the 45 with no defender within 10 yds.

It's a coordinator not paying attention to the little things. It's a head coach not paying attention to that coordinator. It's mismanagement. You can't expect a HC to start paying attention to detail when he's had 20+ years to learn how important they are.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DPE on special teams was maddening, with the brick hands even