• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Day Help

Maximus Rex

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,357.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I haven't been to Heinz Field in 10 years, when I went to the Bus' last home game. I was born and raised 30 miles south of Pittsburgh, and still had family there back then, but now we're all scattered to the wind. For Christmas, I got my mom and uncle and his family (and me!) tickets to the Browns game on January 1. I'm going to be staying at a hotel downtown a few miles away, and really won't be able to tailgate this time like all the other times I have before.

So my question is, instead of tailgating, what bars do yinz know about near the stadium that we can or should hit up before the game? Closer to Heinz the better, since my mom ain't no spring chicken anymore and doesn't really want to walk too far, and I'll obviously need a steady source of beer before the field opens for admission. I don't remember any bars near Heinz, but I never really looked, and it has been 10 years since I've been there, so.... All ideas and input are appreciated. Thanks, folks!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I haven't been to Heinz Field in 10 years, when I went to the Bus' last home game. I was born and raised 30 miles south of Pittsburgh, and still had family there back then, but now we're all scattered to the wind. For Christmas, I got my mom and uncle and his family (and me!) tickets to the Browns game on January 1. I'm going to be staying at a hotel downtown a few miles away, and really won't be able to tailgate this time like all the other times I have before.

So my question is, instead of tailgating, what bars do yinz know about near the stadium that we can or should hit up before the game? Closer to Heinz the better, since my mom ain't no spring chicken anymore and doesn't really want to walk too far, and I'll obviously need a steady source of beer before the field opens for admission. I don't remember any bars near Heinz, but I never really looked, and it has been 10 years since I've been there, so.... All ideas and input are appreciated. Thanks, folks!

@FaCe-LeE-uS is your man.

I'm a Steeler Nation guy...I've been to PIT...when 3 Rivers was still up, drove around the stadium, saw the HQ, but never been to a home game...bucket list. I was there more recently for a graduation and never got to even get by Heinz Field.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been almost 2 decades since I was at a game in the Burgh, so I'm no help.

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

where? I hail from bentleyville

Maximus Rex

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,357.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cool !!! i could go for a shorty's dog or burger and fries w/gravy ..

I think psych is originally from 84

Cool, small world. I woofed down a few Shorty's dogs last time I was there a few years ago.

Maximus Rex

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,357.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dont know how old you are but do you remember the orange bowl pizza place at the franklin mall ? that was some good pizza

Not remembering that, but I grew up just a couple of miles from the Franklin Mall, actually.

Maximus Rex

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,357.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was down the hall across from troutmans .. I forget when they closed but all through the 70's and into the 80's thats where they were they also sold orange julius

Gotcha, I remember that.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Maximus Rex

Hopefully I can be of some service...

Closest bar that you'll find to Heinz is next to Grille 36 (Bettis' spot). It's a sports bar, but its crazy packed during gamedays and they usually have an entrance fee, usually VIP only type deal. There's also a Tilted Kilt close by but I've never attempted it. Both are kiddie corner to Heinz field across Shore Drive. Further up Shore closer to PNC is McFaddens Irish Pub (3 blocks away). On the other side of PNC is Beerhead & Mullen's. Both places are better bets. Those 2 places are only 4 blocks away. I'd recommend trying those, but again, the closer to Heinz the busier it gets.

One thing that I'd highly recommend is the taking the ferry over from station square... You can tailgate at the bars over there then take the ferry which drops you off at the river entrance to Heinz Field, and serves beer for the ride. No walking...check...More beer...check-mate! Steelhouse in station square is a great spot. It's right next to the Gateway Clipper Shuttle Ferry office which will take you down the Mon river and drop you off at Heinz. A little pricier but worthwhile for people wanting the full experience and haven't been in town in a while.

Maximus Rex

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,357.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully I can be of some service...

Closest bar that you'll find to Heinz is next to Grille 36 (Bettis' spot). It's a sports bar, but its crazy packed during gamedays and they usually have an entrance fee, usually VIP only type deal. There's also a Tilted Kilt close by but I've never attempted it. Both are kiddie corner to Heinz field across Shore Drive. Further up Shore closer to PNC is McFaddens Irish Pub (3 blocks away). On the other side of PNC is Beerhead & Mullen's. Both places are better bets. Those 2 places are only 4 blocks away. I'd recommend trying those, but again, the closer to Heinz the busier it gets.

One thing that I'd highly recommend is the taking the ferry over from station square... You can tailgate at the bars over there then take the ferry which drops you off at the river entrance to Heinz Field, and serves beer for the ride. No walking...check...More beer...check-mate! Steelhouse in station square is a great spot. It's right next to the Gateway Clipper Shuttle Ferry office which will take you down the Mon river and drop you off at Heinz. A little pricier but worthwhile for people wanting the full experience and haven't been in town in a while.

Holy Hell, Face is THE MAN! Perfect, many thanks, Face.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cool !!! i could go for a shorty's dog or burger and fries w/gravy ..

I think @Psych-Ward is originally from 84

You would be right good Sir!!!!

bentworth_bearcats_senior_bentleyville_classic_round_sticker-r5242b7bfe51f49af93d7f77a3e14fa4b_v9waf_8byvr_324.jpg

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright @Maximus Rex ... We need a recap! How'd it go? Were any of us any help? Looked like a fairly sparse crowd at Heinz for the meaningless game. Helluva win though! And you got to see some OT!

Maximus Rex

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,357.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright @Maximus Rex ... We need a recap! How'd it go? Were any of us any help? Looked like a fairly sparse crowd at Heinz for the meaningless game. Helluva win though! And you got to see some OT!

Hey, Face and everyone, hope yinz all had a good holiday. I was going to post this last night, but got back from the Burgh a bit late and was tired (and kind of drunk). I went into town on the 31st and went to a few bars/restaurants New Year's Eve which was cool, but I didn't wanna drink too much the night before the game.

On gameday, we ended up just guzzling some beer at the hotel until 10:30 or so, and then took the T over to the Stadium - my hotel was right next to the Steel Plaza station. The Stadium itself was relatively full, but definitely some empty seats here and there. I saw maybe 20 or 30 Browns fans there, which is the most I've ever seen of an opposing team at Heinz or Three Rivers. There was NOT a lot of electricity in the stadium early in the game, and the crowd was not really loud at all on like 3rd downs and such, which is unusual in my experience. It didn't help when Cleveland went up 14-0. I guess it was hard to get up as much as usual for a meaningless game (plus half the stadium was probably hung over, but I did manage to avoid that until the next day).

Eventually, when the Steelers got back into it, the crowd came to life a bit more. Landry took some bad sacks early, and didn't complete many passes over 10 yards in the air at all until later. The run defense was absolutely abysmal, and Cleveland had waaay too many big plays. :mad2: The only guys performing much on offense were Ayers and Williams (in the passing game - the running game wasn't anything to write home about) and then of course Hamilton there had a few and the big one at the end. We were all sure that Cleveland was going to win in overtime when they had the ball down inside the 10, and when the Steelers held them and got the ball after the field goal, I thought it was going to end in a tie. It was pretty damn nerve racking, and the stadium had really come to life by that point. Got to see a hell of a finish, didn't think Landry had it in him!

After the game, Bettis' had a huge assed line out the door, so we went down the street and had a few beers and a little food at Louie's, which also ended up packed. All in all it was great to get back and see a game, even without the big boys playing and I had a great time. I've already written a book here, so I'll leave it at that for now but if anyone has any specific questions, I'll try to answer. Cheers!:suds:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, Face and everyone, hope yinz all had a good holiday. I was going to post this last night, but got back from the Burgh a bit late and was tired (and kind of drunk). I went into town on the 31st and went to a few bars/restaurants New Year's Eve which was cool, but I didn't wanna drink too much the night before the game.

On gameday, we ended up just guzzling some beer at the hotel until 10:30 or so, and then took the T over to the Stadium - my hotel was right next to the Steel Plaza station. The Stadium itself was relatively full, but definitely some empty seats here and there. I saw maybe 20 or 30 Browns fans there, which is the most I've ever seen of an opposing team at Heinz or Three Rivers. There was NOT a lot of electricity in the stadium early in the game, and the crowd was not really loud at all on like 3rd downs and such, which is unusual in my experience. It didn't help when Cleveland went up 14-0. I guess it was hard to get up as much as usual for a meaningless game (plus half the stadium was probably hung over, but I did manage to avoid that until the next day).

Eventually, when the Steelers got back into it, the crowd came to life a bit more. Landry took some bad sacks early, and didn't complete many passes over 10 yards in the air at all until later. The run defense was absolutely abysmal, and Cleveland had waaay too many big plays. :mad2: The only guys performing much on offense were Ayers and Williams (in the passing game - the running game wasn't anything to write home about) and then of course Hamilton there had a few and the big one at the end. We were all sure that Cleveland was going to win in overtime when they had the ball down inside the 10, and when the Steelers held them and got the ball after the field goal, I thought it was going to end in a tie. It was pretty damn nerve racking, and the stadium had really come to life by that point. Got to see a hell of a finish, didn't think Landry had it in him!

After the game, Bettis' had a huge assed line out the door, so we went down the street and had a few beers and a little food at Louie's, which also ended up packed. All in all it was great to get back and see a game, even without the big boys playing and I had a great time. I've already written a book here, so I'll leave it at that for now but if anyone has any specific questions, I'll try to answer. Cheers!:suds:
Sounds like you guys had a great time! Tryin to think of the hotels around Steel Plaza, IIRC there's at least 4 or 5. DoubleTree, Marriot, or the old William Penn? Good choice for location though! Easy ride on the T. Did you guys make it up to the old Strip District? Love that area. Used to hang out at the cigar bar on the north end of it on weekends to listen to live music. Love the atmosphere around those parts. Should have recommended it prior.

Not surprised the crowd was inanimate during the 1st half. Like you said, new years day hangover & down 14-0 and it was a meaningless game. Probably a lot of season ticket holders getting value out of every last dollar even if they didn't want to be there and had to drag their asses out of bed to get there.

Glad you guys got to see the Steelers make a good game of it though. I'm sure you would have had a great time regardless. Always better with the W!

Maximus Rex

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,357.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like you guys had a great time! Tryin to think of the hotels around Steel Plaza, IIRC there's at least 4 or 5. DoubleTree, Marriot, or the old William Penn? Good choice for location though! Easy ride on the T. Did you guys make it up to the old Strip District? Love that area. Used to hang out at the cigar bar on the north end of it on weekends to listen to live music. Love the atmosphere around those parts. Should have recommended it prior.

Not surprised the crowd was inanimate during the 1st half. Like you said, new years day hangover & down 14-0 and it was a meaningless game. Probably a lot of season ticket holders getting value out of every last dollar even if they didn't want to be there and had to drag their asses out of bed to get there.

Glad you guys got to see the Steelers make a good game of it though. I'm sure you would have had a great time regardless. Always better with the W!

Yeah, Doubletree, one of the exits is literally across the street from the T station. We didn't get in until late afternoon of New Years Eve and were waiting to meet up with a few other folks, so we just ended up in a couple of bars around the Cultaral District there, the Commoner or something and some other place where we ate, which I forget.

I bought my tickets for the game way back when, and knew it was a chance that the game would be meaningless at Week 17, but figured what the hell, never had a bad time at a Steeler game regardless. We were on the 45 yard line in the last row of the lower level, so like 30 rows up behind the Browns bench or so.

And hell yeah, I woulda been PISSED with a loss, although I was admittedly happy when the Browns won in Week 16, since I figured they'd win ONE game, and was hoping to all hell that it wouldn't be when I was there!