• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Game Control"

Noles21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this article on ESPN going into the numbers a little more, and this stuck out to me the most...

Dominance vs. Power 5 Competition

Team -1st half margin- 2nd half/OT margin
Alabama- 12.9 - 1.0
Florida State -0.7 - 12.4

By the numbers: FSU's case for No. 1 - ACC Blog - ESPN

Edit: Couldn't paste the graphic correctly, sorry

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep FSU is the best team in the country in the second half. Just wish they would translate even half of that to the first half.

The thing is that FSU is doing the opposite of the other top teams. They are dominating the 2nd half instead of the first and then just cruising. Hey it is working for them so who am I to question it.

Noles21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I just don't see why FSU is getting knocked down for it... ESPN's made up stat of Game Control is complete BS. Last year it was bad that FSU was never in a close game, this year it's bad that they are.

I think the fact that they have put themselves in holes so often, yet come out on top shows some damn good resiliency. Sure its ugly and doesn't look good in the style department, but it's not an easy thing to do. Especially on the road.

I just don't agree with knocking them down for it, as the committee has done.

F

ForeverNole10

I think the game control stat is the funniest stat that they have ever has. How does a team that is 10-0 have less game control than a team that is 7-3? Both Clemson and Louisville have better game control rankings than FSU.

Last time I checked, when you lose, you have no game control! :lol:

F

ForeverNole10

I think the game control stat is the funniest stat that they have ever has. How does a team that is 10-0 have less game control than a team that is 7-3? Both Clemson and Louisville have better game control rankings than FSU.

And FSU just keeps putting the game control rankings to shame.

Noles21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it makes no sense. How about Win-Loss control? Does FSU rank high in that?

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep FSU is the best team in the country in the second half. Just wish they would translate even half of that to the first half.

The thing is that FSU is doing the opposite of the other top teams. They are dominating the 2nd half instead of the first and then just cruising. Hey it is working for them so who am I to question it.

Just playing a little devil's advocate here, but the second half game control stat for Alabama is probably a little skewed because they were ahead in some of the games and took out the starters and did not run the score up more.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just like with almost any other stat, this is an average and does not apply to all the time. The best way that this should be looked at is to take the game control stat AND then find what the standard deviation. I bet Clemson's and Louisville's standard deviation are way higher than FSU's. This is the issue with look just at averages in stats.