• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GAME 4: Oklahoma vs. WVU

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He likes taking long walks in the woods and fell in love with a women who makes good bologna sandwiches.

Sorry mad, I had to DV this ish right here, hits too close to home.

BTW Dad ,Pitt just got the hell beat out of them at home by Akron......AKRON!

Who in the world would want that garbage back on their schedule to drag down their sos?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who in the world would want that garbage back on their schedule to drag down their sos?

Loved it, gold, when sPitt loses it is almost as good as a Mountie win. Don't tell me about dragging down SOS when we have 1AA teams on the schedule. IMO, anyone who doesn't want sPitt back on the schedule isn't a real Mountie!!!!!

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry Gold, didn't mean to disrespect you. So that it does not happen again, which part hit home with you? The walk in the woods or falling in love with a women who makes good bologna sandwiches? Or both? As a punishment, please feel free to give me a thumbs down. I need to start my posts by stating "With all due respect". This will make everything else I post after this perfectly acceptable. Please accept my sincerest apologies. ;)

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mad, that is all part of why I have said all along that major schools should hire coaches with experience, we are paying Holgorsen millions to learn his craft. Yes I know that he is having a tough time getting his staff right, something a coach who has been a HC before would not still be going through in year four. I do not like Holgorsen in the least, I do not like beer sales at college events, parking fees increased hugely, long time season ticket holders being moved around at the coliseum. Mostly I do not like the double standard that goes on in these type of forums, where one coach should have easily coached away fumbles, but the next coach gets a pass for everything........I do not know what the record would be had Stewart still been coach, but I guarantee that our defense would have been much better.

There were less than a handful of coaches that wanted(?) to come here and from that handful, there was 1 or 2 who wanted to jumpstart or rekindle their careers. I look at the DH hiring as something similar to Nehlen's. DH was on a few D-1 football program radars, Pitt being one, and for all I know, Luck may have held discussions that would afford DH to mold this program to compete in the Big 12 and provide a long term contract to provide stability to a program that was experiencing a complete 3-ring circus atmosphere between RR and Pastilong.

You just stated in another post that if you were the AD that you would sell beer but at a lower price. You talk about the increase in pricing for everything at WVU, as if you haven't noticed the pricing of everything going up as well. I've watched gas, turnpike tolls, NJ Parkway tolls, all the tunnels and bridges going into NY, milk, movies, EVERYTHING go up in price, but it is just the way things are. Like it or not. Didn't you take an Economics class? You need to stop telling the ones you disagree with to stop burying their heads in the sand and you need to start facing reality.

I really do not see where DH is given a pass. I'm assuming that you cheered your ass off during the Orange Bowl against Clemson as we all saw what this offense could do, along with a good defense. I also feel that you missed a lot of the points people were making about "coaching out" fumbles. You work on the kid's ball handling skills during practice. You make that RB carry a football every place he goes. And the main point that people attempted to tell you on CBS was if the kid could not hold on to the ball, you bench him for somebody who could. Or you take your chances and hope for the best. Prime example - DeMarco Murray of the Dallas Cowboys. BB is correct, the guys who started the 'Stew must go' campaign are not even on here. Lambert held out until the end of Stew's 2nd full season. Guys like Stewmustgo and JimmiePens were some of the ones who disliked Stew at the very beginning. I can't remember the screen name of the guy who use to call Stew Towmater. WVU History admitted that she did not like that 'Hick-like', lost in the woods look of Stew.

We've had this discussion with you before, but just like facts, you seem to ignore them. I respect your opinion that the defense would have been better with Casteel here, but I do not think that Casteel could have overcome the need for depth and talent needed every week in the Big 12. Casteell seemed to have a good defense very 4 or 5 years, which is not good enough playing in this conference. I do not think Stew's record would have been any better because he did not have an OC that could run the offense like Calvin McGee could and once the QBs started to decommit and transfer, Stew would have been in the same position as we are now.

I'm going to stop engaging you in these conversations because they are senseless and a waste of time. This has been going on for years, starting on the CBS boards. You can continue to call me names for supporting DH. I didn't like his sideline antics the last few years and I'm glad he has changed his approach so far this season. I have no issues with a coach getting in a player's ass, but his was rapidly approaching Huggins. DH has more of a learning curve. Some of you guys are complaining about clock management. If we were behind and had to conserve time, then maybe I see it then. Last year, there were times that I wish he would have ran the ball in certain situations, but hindsight is 20/20.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make some good points, mad, but also miss the boat on others. I was reading some Michigan articles the other day, and there are two camps there, some saying Hoke was left a bare cupboard by Fraud, and those saying Hoke won with Frauds players but can't win the more of his own guys he gets. I see many similarities.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Casteel's defense gave up 45 pts and over 570 yds to freakin' CAL!

Guess what kind of offense CAL runs?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Casteel's defense gave up 45 pts and over 570 yds to freakin' CAL!

Guess what kind of offense CAL runs?

Freakin CAL scores 48 ppg..........

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freakin CAL scores 48 ppg..........

Good point.

However, that has been against the likes of Sacramento St. and Colorado. Colorado is ranked #105 in scoring defense...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point.

However, that has been against the likes of Sacramento St. and Colorado. Colorado is ranked #105 in scoring defense...

That's is a point, BUT this early in the season, the ranking stats are skewed by one or two games. I think bringing Bradley in will be huge for our defense, he is serving as the de facto DC while teaching Gibson the job, and is IMO teaching Holgorsen about being HC. As we have seen, Casteel's defense is hard to teach to the kids, and relies on smaller, faster kids, so until he has been there for a while, I wouldn't expect greatness. Here we had Casteel style players in place, which is one reason that we have had limited defensive success, the type of player that excels in Casteel's defense is not well suited for the Dick LeBeau style defense that our last two DCs tried to run.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the question of whether Casteel would have had more success in the Big 12 than the other DC's WVU has had to date, one has to consider not just the recruits and the system they were recruited for... but, also the age of the kid when he is getting his playing time.

Like you've said, Casteel's defense... as just about any out there... improved as kids matured in the system.

WVU has been forced to play Fr and RS Fr in the secondary since WVU joined the Big 12.

TT and Okie St had true Fr playing in the secondary last weekend. They didn't look too good neither...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DAD,

Please tell me you understand the difference between 5 star Fr playing RB... and, 3 star Fr playing CB.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take a look at OU's two deep, quite a few FR and Soph on there: make note of the sophs on defense

Football Depth Chart - Oklahoma Sooners

'Bama's:

2014 Alabama Crimson Tide Football Depth Chart | Ourlads.com

UMD:
2014 Maryland Terrapins Football Depth Chart | Ourlads.com

UMD has BY FAR the most experienced players, yet are not as good as the other two. I contend that good coaches go out and get good players that fit their style of play, good coaches teach the kids their system quickly and effectively. There are freshmen playing on EVERY team, all over the field, quit with the excuses. Holgorsen seemingly is losing some of his arrogance and is finally listening and learning his job, a couple more years and he MAY be a decent coach.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what you're saying is that Bob Stoops could take a team comprised of the members of this forum and coach us up to the point where we'd be #4 in the country?? :L

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take a look at OU's two deep, quite a few FR and Soph on there: make note of the sophs on defense

Football Depth Chart - Oklahoma Sooners

'Bama's:

2014 Alabama Crimson Tide Football Depth Chart | Ourlads.com

UMD:
2014 Maryland Terrapins Football Depth Chart | Ourlads.com

UMD has BY FAR the most experienced players, yet are not as good as the other two. I contend that good coaches go out and get good players that fit their style of play, good coaches teach the kids their system quickly and effectively. There are freshmen playing on EVERY team, all over the field, quit with the excuses. Holgorsen seemingly is losing some of his arrogance and is finally listening and learning his job, a couple more years and he MAY be a decent coach.

DAD, you've actually helped to make my point. What did Clint do to the OU secondary? What did Clint do to the Bama secondary?

The OU true FR that are on this depth chart are 4-star recruits. The RS Fr on the DL are both Scout 3-star recruits.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While you seem to think it is cute to tell us we're making excuses... I find it hilarious that you fail to acknowledge a basic understanding of the impact made when freshmen are forced to play in the secondary before they're ready.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make some good points, mad, but also miss the boat on others. I was reading some Michigan articles the other day, and there are two camps there, some saying Hoke was left a bare cupboard by Fraud, and those saying Hoke won with Frauds players but can't win the more of his own guys he gets. I see many similarities.

I couldn't tell you about Michigan's program and which camp to follow. If you look at our program, I feel that Calvin McGee won the Orange Bowl by showing another variation of RR's spread. When did RR ever use the TE? I didn't even know we had a TE on the team, let alone named Tito Gonzalez. So, in my opinion, Stewart won with RR players, DH showed what he could do with talent (ie Orange Bowl) and it has been proven that Stew has not filled any of his previous recruiting classes. Nobody on here said that Stew did not recruit some talent, but not enough bodies to go around today. Therefore, the cupboard being bare is a valid statement. My hope lies within Bradley's having the ability to coach up 2 & 3 star DLs to play like 4 & 5 caliber players.

I think your fooling yourself if you believe that by not filling out a recruiting class that you will soon feel the effects in the future.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bum Phillips said of Don Shula "he can take his and beat yours, then take yours and beat his" did Stewart fill the classes, no, were there scholarship cuts due to Frauds practice practices, yes, were there kids who left since the coaching change, yes. I got news for you, this happens everywhere. The thing that makes me call BS on the excuse of a bare cupboard is watching our team the last two years play to the level of the team they play. I see a team that goes toe to toe with the best teams on the schedule, but get shutout by UMD, get manhandled by KU, give up huge lead to IAST. WVU has a coaching problem, as well as a numbers problem, I see promise on both fronts being made, but we will see how this year plays out, we could be 11-2, or 2-10, but probably somewhere in between.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't tell you about Michigan's program and which camp to follow. If you look at our program, I feel that Calvin McGee won the Orange Bowl by showing another variation of RR's spread. When did RR ever use the TE? I didn't even know we had a TE on the team, let alone named Tito Gonzalez. So, in my opinion, Stewart won with RR players, DH showed what he could do with talent (ie Orange Bowl) and it has been proven that Stew has not filled any of his previous recruiting classes. Nobody on here said that Stew did not recruit some talent, but not enough bodies to go around today. Therefore, the cupboard being bare is a valid statement. My hope lies within Bradley's having the ability to coach up 2 & 3 star DLs to play like 4 & 5 caliber players.

I think your fooling yourself if you believe that by not filling out a recruiting class that you will soon feel the effects in the future.

MaGee did a masterful job preparing the offense and calling the plays in the fiesta bowl, but without Stewart's demeanor and positive personality, that game would not have been won. Football is a mental game as much if not more than it is a physical game. I'll take that three star kid who has heart and a work ethic over the five star prima dona any day. I'll take one Owen Schmitt over a dozen Terrell Pryor s.