• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gaborik Close To Returning

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if you guys are like me and have to change it to Reader Mode because I use up my free monthly articles in a matter of days so I cut and pasted it for you. Sounds like he is close to returning and will take some time to get up to speed so some roster moves will need to be made.

Pretty funny how old the main picture is, it's Gaborik, Lucic and Lecavalier - 2 of the 3 haven't been here in 2 years. Also, I like Laich Laich (hey-O!) but not sure what the organizational fascination is with him. Good guy, veteran, came in and participated on a PTO, wasn't signed, they let him hang around, then signed him around the Carter injury, now he has been scratched 3 games in a row and is practicing as an extra defender? Something tells me Julianne Hough or whatever his wife's name is is friends with Brandi Blake.

Kings' Marian Gaborik shares good news about his anticipated season debut

Kings' Marian Gaborik shares good news about his anticipated season debut
Curtis Zupke
4-5 minutes
Marian Gaborik graduated to purple. Can black-and-white be far behind?

When the Kings resumed practice Tuesday with color-coded lines, Gaborik donned a purple jersey with Jussi Jokinen and Jonny Brodzinski as the trio went through drills as the fourth line. Gaborik indicated he is on the cusp of a return from a knee procedure that has kept him out all season.

“I’m getting real close,” the veteran right wing said. “It was good to be on a line in practice and be on every repetition. It was definitely good to be out there and ramp everything up.”

Gaborik wouldn’t say if he could jump into a game yet but said if he progresses, “it should be a matter of days” before his season debut.

General manager Rob Blake said last week that they were aiming at early December and reiterated that time frame in an email Tuesday. They are understandably careful as Gaborik resumes hockey after he had to repair a tendon and ligament in his left knee in April. The Kings already have had one false start with Gaborik at the beginning of the season when he began skating but subsequently was withheld from on-ice activity.

But this latest progress is encouraging.

“Obviously he’s getting a lot closer with being integrated into the team,” coach John Stevens said. “Just going to see how he responds to that type of work and physical resistance — he got some extra battle stuff in with him today. I think that was the step we were waiting for. We’ll see how he responds and then we’ll talk to the trainers and see where he is, talk to Gabby and see where he is.”

The fourth line already has taken on a more offensive dynamic with the addition of Jokinen and the recall of Brodzinski. Brooks Laich has been scratched the past three games, and he skated as an extra defenseman Tuesday.

Gaborik would give the Kings another veteran scorer. The 35-year-old hasn’t played since last season’s regular-season finale andis 11 games short of 1,000 for his career.

“It’s an unbelievable milestone to achieve,” Gaborik said. “I want to start playing first and approach it game by game.”

Vilardi returned

Prospect Gabriel Vilardi, who has been rehabilitating a back strain with the Kings for several weeks, has returned to his junior team, the Windsor Spitfires, Blake said. Vilardi will have two weeks of non-contact practice and get re-evaluated, Blake said. If cleared, Vilardi could then participate in contact practices.

Vilardi, 18, was the 11th selection in this year’s draft, the Kings’ highest pick since 2009.

NEXT UP

VS. WINNIPEG

When: Wednesday, 7:30 p.m.

On the air: TV: FSW; Radio: 790

Update: Winnipeg linemates Mark Scheifele and Blake Wheeler are two of the NHL’s top 10 scorers with 25 points apiece in 20 games. Second-year forward Patrik Laine had his eight-game points streak end Monday. Jets center Adam Lowry is the son of Kings assistant coach Dave Lowry.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am hoping Gaborik bumps up production as he should with the more open style, should be a boost for him and the Kings....I would still like to see Laich in the lineup as he is very versatile and I think will get better with more playtime (based on his skill set catching back up to his knowledge, not that he is going to be a game changer....

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laich is a solid player, and has filled in admirably since Carter went down. I like his work ethic, the way he hustles and is a team player.

It sucks, but the reality is once Carter is back, Gaborik returns and Clifford comes back from IR he will be waived so I hope another NHL team picks him up. He is a great player to have around young kids who need to learn what it's like to be a professional, much like Thornton, Handzus, etc. were here for LA when they were developing.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laich is a solid player, and has filled in admirably since Carter went down. I like his work ethic, the way he hustles and is a team player.

It sucks, but the reality is once Carter is back, Gaborik returns and Clifford comes back from IR he will be waived so I hope another NHL team picks him up. He is a great player to have around young kids who need to learn what it's like to be a professional, much like Thornton, Handzus, etc. were here for LA when they were developing.
Laugh Waived and cleared. Rumor is he will be released from contract
Give him the ability to sign anywhere or maybe play in the Olympics.
Kings signed him as a favor to let him stay in game shape. Plan was to play in the AHL, but Carter getting hurt changed that. Now the Kings are overloaded with worthless forwards and no longer needs him as a healthy scratch

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was as good as anyone else there, but no big loss. Not sure why they signed Strand I don't know anything about him other than he had a boat on a TV show. The offense is kind of back to what they did the last few years but I think they will get back on track. My biggest concern is Carter, most of his success comes from that surprising break away speed and if he doesn't have that he could be another big cap hit that doesn't produce enough. Hopefully Brown keeps it up, his goal the other night was very good.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Stand is a right now signing.
He is a two years down the road and hope it works out.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strand is a short evaluation prospect for sure, he is a 20 year old playing CHL hockey (ages 16-20). You can only have three 20 year olds per team, they do not want playing time taken away from the younger developing kids. It's also tough to gauge overaged Juniors since they are playing against smaller, less developed, less skilled players at 20.

That said, while he looks impressive on paper, keep that in mind - he was playing against younger competition. Three of the seven Kings defenders this season have expiring contracts whether it be UFA or RFA (McDermid, Fantenberg and Folin. Fantenberg has arbitration rights so there is a good chance he will be here next season) so Blake is being proactive to see if this guy can jump to the NHL level within a year or two as a cheap NHL replacement.

This is to hold the fort on defense should those 3 guys not be here next season or if they get short term deals after their current ones as well as to stock the pipeline which has been steadily depleted the last few years trying to win Cups.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He looks good, he has been getting some chances. Sure, he hasn't scored a "real" goal yet but his hands look fine, it's a matter of time. Dude hasn't played NHL hockey consistently in a game situation in around 10 months I think.

He looks fast and is making things happen. Hope he keeps it up because he has a lot to prove and has a big contract that hinders LA.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correction: Gaborik Has Returned.

=)~~

Looks good out there, he is flying. No sooner do I say it'll come and he finishes off that 2-on-1 in classic sniper fashion.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is still injury prone, the only time in his 19 year career he has ever played a full season was 2011-12, all 82 games for the Rangers. He is good for missing significant time almost annually.

He is 4 games short of 1000 games, so his average annual GP is roughly 52. Who knows how much more of a prolific scorer he could have been if he didn't miss so much time but I'm glad he seems to have found his form again and is productive for LA, the last few years they managed to win without him.

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was so much fun to watch when he started his career in Minnesota, he could really fly. Felt like he got a breakaway almost every game. Without the injuries he would be a perennial 40 goal scorer, one of the elite players in the league.