• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

G5 version of CFP?

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boise St got WAY more exposure and benefits than any team would have even 20 years ago.

So I don't see how you can say it's harder now.

It's definitely much harder for Boise now than it was five to ten years ago, but if we're talking now versus 20 plus years ago, no question that is a true statement.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20 to 1 is Excessive?? Hardly.
If Boise State had taken the NCAA to Federal Court and Kicked them in the fucking Balls and took all their money away like Oklahoma did to them, then maybe you can talk.

It's more than enough.
Build your brand, make more money.
Grow some balls.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's possible for a G5 team to make the playoffs but they need to play some very good teams OOC.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This topic came up in a couple of other threads recently. Thought it deserved its own.

Three questions:
  1. Should the Group of Five pursue their own version of a CFP?
  2. Should the Group of Five just remain satisfied with the one spot the get in a New Year's Day bowl?
  3. Do you believe a G5 will ever receive a spot in the CFP as it currently exists?
They should either have a game between the best two teams for the last slot in an 8 team playoff or break off and do their own thing. Group of 5 gets jerked around way too much. They need to go create something and take their fate into their own hands.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A separate playoff while in the same division of play? How does that make any sense at all. You are asking if we should let the G5's live off our coattails when it suits them, but then play only among themselves for some sort of afterthought title. Something like the NIT of football, but only including the second tier teams. Top tier need not apply.

That's called breaking off into your own division. If the G5 wants their own championship then go play in your own division.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they should
Their season should be from April to July
And no, a G5 school will never ever make the P5's CFB playoff unless it expands past 4 teams and even then it would be a long shot.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boise St got WAY more exposure and benefits than any team would have even 20 years ago.
20 years ago, Boise Sate was coming off a losing season (Coached by Houston Nutt!) and was not getting any attention, have just made the jump up from DI-AA. Over time, the Broncos have certainly gotten more exposure - but it was because they were successful on the field. Exposure did not create that success. And in fact, until the Broncos beat Oklahoma om OT, I don't think they were getting any notice from anyone but die-hard football fans, except in the WAC.

So I don't see how you can say it's harder now.
The mistake is to think that what drives things now is success. What drives things now is money. And in the current climate, there is zero chance for a Boise State to make the jump and become one of the "haves" of college football.

The only G5-level programs that have made the jump to the big time (and please correct me if I am wrong in this) are Luisville, Utah and TCU. Both were aided by 1) geography and b) a history dating back more than 20 years at the top level. Further, TCU had a history of playing at the top levels, having been a member of the Southwest Conference. And Utah is the major research university in its state (making it a good fit for the Pac-12.) Boise State has neither of these advantages. The other example (at least of which I can think off the top of my head) is Louisville. But Louisville also has a history of playing the same conference of the likes of Florida State and Virginia Tech, so adding them to the ACC renews some of these historical rivalries.

Anyhow, the bottom line is that is not about how the Broncos due competitively - it is all about how the "haves" will do financially if they issue an invite to a "have not" (such as Boise State) to join the big boys club.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're already a more recognizable brand than a lot of the power 5, and far more than anyone outside the power 5 unless you don't count Notre Dame as a power 5 program.
I have to disagree here. I would rate BYU, Army and Navy is carrying more cache than Boise (in terms of a marketable brand.) For example, the Boise/Idaho game will never garner anywhere near the national interest as the Army/Navy game. And the reason I include BYU is that they have a history of placing prominent players such a Jim McMahon and Steve Young into the NFL. There is also a matter of their 1984 natty.

So - while I think Boise is definitely at the top of the pyramid of the G5, and I do believe that they have a recognizable "Brand", they are at a HUGE disadvantage due to the short history.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's definitely much harder for Boise now than it was five to ten years ago, but if we're talking now versus 20 plus years ago, no question that is a true statement.
Color me confused. 20 years ago, Boise State was a middle of the pack Big West program, having just made the jump to DI-A. I seriously doubt they had (or would have had) as easier time as a member of the Big Sky conference than they do now.

Maybe I am agreeing with you and, but am just confused as to which statement to which "that" refers.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to disagree here. I would rate BYU, Army and Navy is carrying more cache than Boise (in terms of a marketable brand.) For example, the Boise/Idaho game will never garner anywhere near the national interest as the Army/Navy game. And the reason I include BYU is that they have a history of placing prominent players such a Jim McMahon and Steve Young into the NFL. There is also a matter of their 1984 natty.

So - while I think Boise is definitely at the top of the pyramid of the G5, and I do believe that they have a recognizable "Brand", they are at a HUGE disadvantage due to the short history.

You do have a good point on most of that but keep in mind a lot of the focus is on the "millennials" these days (I don't understand why, I get they're the future generation and all), they're so young they don't remember a lot of that and at this point they don't know a time where Boise State won less than 8 games in a given season.

Unless something blows up somewhere in the power 5 or the American somehow actually is successful in it's "power 6" bid, we're stuck for a while

Given time though our market will grow, the western half of the US is becoming a popular place for people to move these days and Boise is one of the fastest growing cities in the US....nearby Provo, Ogden and Salt Lake City Utah are also among the fastest growing cities.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the reason I include BYU is that they have a history of placing prominent players such a Jim McMahon and Steve Young into the NFL. There is also a matter of their 1984 natty.
And Mormans are scattered all over the globe...not just in Utah.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they should
Their season should be from April to July
And no, a G5 school will never ever make the P5's CFB playoff unless it expands past 4 teams and even then it would be a long shot.
no

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is, the G5 teams choose to compete at the FBS level. They could always drop down to the FCS level if they wanted, but they want to be on the FBS level and more teams are being added all the time.

That sounds like a terrible idea.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's exactly what you would be doing if a G5 playoff was created.

I don't disagree. I think it's probably only a matter of time before we have three divisions in D1. P5 and some upper level G5, The rest of G5 and the top FCS, and then the rest of FCS. That's at least 15 years down the road IMO though.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree. I think it's probably only a matter of time before we have three divisions in D1. P5 and some upper level G5, The rest of G5 and the top FCS, and then the rest of FCS. That's at least 15 years down the road IMO though.

That might change when the 12-year contract is up.

Although the P5 teams will fight that tooth and nail. The last thing they want, especially
for their bottom feeders, is The Group of 5 breaking off. Not only would that hurt
recruiting for the bottom-feeders of the Power 5, but some of those bottom feeders
could opt out of that Power 5 league.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This topic came up in a couple of other threads recently. Thought it deserved its own.

Three questions:
  1. Should the Group of Five pursue their own version of a CFP?
  2. Should the Group of Five just remain satisfied with the one spot the get in a New Year's Day bowl?
  3. Do you believe a G5 will ever receive a spot in the CFP as it currently exists?
Yes. It's dumb that those teams are competing for the same title as teams like Michigan, Alabama and FSU are going after. Even if teams like Western Michigan end up undefeated, they still don't end up in the playoff. So there's basically no legitimate chance they can win a national title.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. It's dumb that those teams are competing for the same title as teams like Michigan, Alabama and FSU are going after. Even if teams like Western Michigan end up undefeated, they still don't end up in the playoff. So there's basically no legitimate chance they can win a national title.

I think if a team like Houston last year would have gone undefeated, a case could have been made for them to be in the CFP. They would have had two top 15 OOC wins(entering bowl season), and would have had wins over +.500 teams in Tulsa, Memphis, Navy and then theoretically the AAC CG. There's probably only a couple of teams where a case can be made. WMU had no shot due to their OOC schedule, beating NW and Illinois doesn't move the needle at all. Looking at the G5 schools this year, the best team is probably USF, but they play a crap OOC schedule(at San Jose State, vs. Stony Brook, vs. Illinois, vs. Umass) that even going undefeated they probably won't end up in the top 10 by the time the final CFP rankings come out.

For a G5 school to ever get a shot, they're going to have to beat one if not to two P5 schools that end the regular season ranked, or pull off a Cincy over Michigan type of win, then run the table.