• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Future of QB Play and Offensive Progress Report

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're all in agreement that Joel Stave has regressed. He's 6'5" and gets balls batted down by 6' defensive linemen, he's clearly mechanically flawed. So, the question is what is done next? I mean you could replace him with Phillips or Houston, but would the offense be any better? Wide receivers are a work in progress(to put it nicely).

So, how does the offense improve?

Last edited by a moderator:

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's still a redshirt Sophomore who is on his third QB coach in as many years. Give him a chance. I fully believe Stave has the potential to be an excellent quarterback.

I do think Coach Andersen in theory would like to run the spread. I think DJ Gillins has potential, especially in the long-term. Give him a redshirt year and if Stave really hasn't improved by his fifth year, he could start or act in a supporting role in 2015.

Doctor Krieger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He needs to work more with Ludwig or even with a qb guru or something...his release takes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really interested in hearing some kind of report on how Gillins looks throwing the ball right now. I think the first really true sign of his progress will be if Bart Houston transfers, which he should really do at the end of this semester if he's going to. I think at this point in the season he can stop practicing and this year will count as "sitting out." I just don't see this staff giving him the green light. They're going to be recruiting mobile QBs from this point on. Which is sad, because you can find Scott Tolziens and John Stoccos, and make your receivers useful to your offense. But finding a guy who can throw and run?? Tyler Donovan was probably the best home-grown recruit we've ever had at QB(at least in recent memory). Good luck recruiting weapons like that regularly. And we'll never see another Russell Wilson.

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really interested in hearing some kind of report on how Gillins looks throwing the ball right now. I think the first really true sign of his progress will be if Bart Houston transfers, which he should really do at the end of this semester if he's going to. I think at this point in the season he can stop practicing and this year will count as "sitting out." I just don't see this staff giving him the green light. They're going to be recruiting mobile QBs from this point on. Which is sad, because you can find Scott Tolziens and John Stoccos, and make your receivers useful to your offense. But finding a guy who can throw and run?? Tyler Donovan was probably the best home-grown recruit we've ever had at QB(at least in recent memory). Good luck recruiting weapons like that regularly. And we'll never see another Russell Wilson.

Honestly, I'm not sure Wisconsin high school football is good enough to consistently produce high caliber quarterbacks. While you can find Stocco's and Tolzien's anywhere around Illinois or Minnesota that can come here an do a good job, I'm good with Coach Andersen's approach of trying to evolve the quarterback position into a weapon for the offense. Anytime you can add that Russell Wilson type(not saying DJ Gillins is anything like that) of quarterback to a traditional 2 back, quarterback under center type of offense you're setting yourself up for success. The fact is Coach Andersen and Coach Ludwig aren't really doing things any differently from what Alvarez or 2B's did here, you go out of state to find the majority of your skill position players. You don't find Nick Toon, Lance Kendrick or Melvin Gordon in state all that often as elite skill position people. It just so happens when they look for quarterbacks they're evaluating for a different skill set than what we're use to.

I'm not sure Houston transfers or should transfer, if Houston didn't need surgery last year and was able to practice fully during his redshirt year I bet he would have been more competitive, if not, beat out Stave in the quarterback battle.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doc made a good point though. Or maybe it was BigApple. Houston isn't the kind of QB Andersen wants to install.