• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

From Jason La Canfora today- JimmyG...thoughts?

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The Chicago Bears will make a strong, concerted effort to acquire quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo from the Patriots, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. The Illinois native is far and away their top offseason priority.
Many teams view Garoppolo as the best option of all potential free-agent or trade targets, and the Bears will have competition. Teams like the Browns, Jets and 49ers could provide opposition, but the Bears' intent and willingness to complete a trade could not be more serious. Quarterback is an acute need -- the Bears are moving on from Jay Cutler -- and jobs are on the line there after two poor seasons from the John Fox and Ryan Pace regime. The Bears have abundant draft picks they could trade -- including picks in the top three of each round -- and while rival executives do not believe the Patriots will land a first-round pick that high via trade, a package including multiple high second-round picks is quite possible. Furthermore, trading Garoppolo out of the AFC would appeal to the Patriots, who expect him to prosper elsewhere."

I like Garoppolo, but I don't want to give up the #3 pick for him. Also I wouldn't want to forgo a large package of multiple picks either. I would give up a 10-15th pick or could somehow trade down to 10 while gaining multiple picks would make more sense to me. I'm always concerned about the rest of the team... giving up multiple picks for ONE player isn't wise when you have so many needs.
We'll see how this progresses, but I see Cleveland with two first rounders in a much better position to trade for Jimmy.

I'm also a little frustrated with the certainty of Cutler being gone. I don't think they need to do that...but that's just me.
Thoughts?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade draft picks and pay 16 mil per season to a unproven QB that could not stay healthy for a 4 game season. FK the Bears suck. Getting rid of Jay = hell yes. Time to move forward. I don't want Jay here anymore. I don't want JG either. McCarron is the guy I covert. Chances are CLV or SF will out bid us for JG. Let's hope.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in on Garappalo either. All these New England understudies have yet to become the guy anywhere. This year #3 is not a place to pick a quarterback, and it its just another DT like Goldman, or DE like young, mcphee, or Floyd, you are getting a second stringer. But we all know the DT in this league averages about 2.4 years of effectiveness, will want 100 million to just become a steady guy like suh. Bellicheck is going to fleece whoever gets Jimmy, but it would be career suicide for pace to deal that 3. Next year or two firsts which will hopefully be in the 20 range, ok, but that is just because there is a strong defense on the field not allowing points, not because the offense will be that much better.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless they can somehow "steal" him, it's a no for me, and we all know, they ain't stealing shit from Bellicheck, so...

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they took a 2nd for JG,I`d go for it.............And we keep Hoyer and MB as back-ups.

And you all know what I think of Jay...........

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade draft picks and pay 16 mil per season to a unproven QB that could not stay healthy for a 4 game season. FK the Bears suck. Getting rid of Jay = hell yes. Time to move forward. I don't want Jay here anymore. I don't want JG either. McCarron is the guy I covert. Chances are CLV or SF will out bid us for JG. Let's hope.

I like McCarron too, as we've talked about. However, how is he more proven than Jimmy G?

Jimmy G: 2 starts 2-0 record 68% CMP 4 TD's 0 INT's 113 QB rating 502 yards

McCarron: 3 starts (plus nearly the full game played that Dalton got hurt early in) 2-1 record 66% CMP 6 TD's 2 INT's 97 QB rating 830 yards

Jimmy also never had a single missed start in 4 years of college. He separated his shoulder. This wasn't some reoccuring thing. It was basically his first ever real injury. He got hurt... it happens.

So... now you need to explain to me why McCarron is more proven to you. Jimmy has been legitimately better in nearly every area of quarterbacking at the NFL level. .

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they took a 2nd for JG,I`d go for it.............And we keep Hoyer and MB as back-ups.

And you all know what I think of Jay...........

I would do our early 2nd round pick in a heartbeat for Jimmy. Probably would take another pick too, however. Our 2nd and our 5th?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in on Garappalo either. All these New England understudies have yet to become the guy anywhere. This year #3 is not a place to pick a quarterback, and it its just another DT like Goldman, or DE like young, mcphee, or Floyd, you are getting a second stringer. But we all know the DT in this league averages about 2.4 years of effectiveness, will want 100 million to just become a steady guy like suh. Bellicheck is going to fleece whoever gets Jimmy, but it would be career suicide for pace to deal that 3. Next year or two firsts which will hopefully be in the 20 range, ok, but that is just because there is a strong defense on the field not allowing points, not because the offense will be that much better.

All of the other NE understudies were also nobodies prior to playing in NE.

Jimmy G was a renowned prospect coming out of college, that MANY thought was the best in his class.

Also, Cassel did have a great season in KC, for the record. 11-5 27 TD's 7 INT's 3500 yards

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think with his ties to Jackson McCarron to Cleveland is more of a possibility then JG.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like McCarron too, as we've talked about. However, how is he more proven than Jimmy G?

Jimmy G: 2 starts 2-0 record 68% CMP 4 TD's 0 INT's 113 QB rating 502 yards

McCarron: 3 starts (plus nearly the full game played that Dalton got hurt early in) 2-1 record 66% CMP 6 TD's 2 INT's 97 QB rating 830 yards

Jimmy also never had a single missed start in 4 years of college. He separated his shoulder. This wasn't some reoccuring thing. It was basically his first ever real injury. He got hurt... it happens.

So... now you need to explain to me why McCarron is more proven to you. Jimmy has been legitimately better in nearly every area of quarterbacking at the NFL level. .
McCarron is not more proven. He is cheaper money wise and could be had for a third rd pick. I like him better then JG strait up. I liked him at Alabama. Think he is a winner. Both are risks.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarron is not more proven. He is cheaper money wise and could be had for a third rd pick. I like him better then JG strait up. I liked him at Alabama. Think he is a winner. Both are risks.

The knock on McCarron was the same as the knock Bridgewater started out with, not a big enough arm to play in the cold outdoors. The size of the heart is what makes the difference with Bridgewater and with Howard you should have your strong running game to support him, as long as your offensive play caller remembers to keep running.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hear you. However, are we really going to play this game, nickel and diming over a QB? Let's face it... a QB is your franchise, and we've sucked going about it for... well... ever.

If we believe Jimmy G is a capable, franchise QB. A 2nd and a 4th is more than worth it, if that's the case. We gave two firsts and Orton for Cutler. lol. That's nothing, in comparison.

That's really not mortgaging your entire future. It's taking a shot on a young guy, but it's not like Jay... where we literally made a reckless gamble on him. Looking back on it, JA literally sat in his office... threw the entire Bears franchise on black. Then sat back and watched how the wheel would spin.

If we can hold onto the #3 overall pick, while very possibly addressing the QB position. Why wouldn't you do it? We could possibly grab Jonathan Allen, Garropolo and also still have a healthy chunk of cap space. We could be contending, next year. I like that, personally.

Still no idea what the hell happens with Jeffery. If we get Jimmy, I feel like we keep him on.

I'm with you dude, I like McCarron... a lot. However, it really just doesn't look like it's happening.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The knock on McCarron was the same as the knock Bridgewater started out with, not a big enough arm to play in the cold outdoors. The size of the heart is what makes the difference with Bridgewater and with Howard you should have your strong running game to support him, as long as your offensive play caller remembers to keep running.

Uh... Bridgewater is not good. lol

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you. However, are we really going to play this game, nickel and diming over a QB? Let's face it... a QB is your franchise, and we've sucked going about it for... well... ever.

If we believe Jimmy G is a capable, franchise QB. A 2nd and a 4th is more than worth it, if that's the case. We gave two firsts and Orton for Cutler. lol. That's nothing, in comparison.

That's really not mortgaging your entire future. It's taking a shot on a young guy, but it's not like Jay... where we literally made a reckless gamble on him. Looking back on it, JA literally sat in his office... threw the entire Bears franchise on black. Then sat back and watched how the wheel would spin.

If we can hold onto the #3 overall pick, while very possibly addressing the QB position. Why wouldn't you do it? We could possibly grab Jonathan Allen, Garropolo and also still have a healthy chunk of cap space. We could be contending, next year. I like that, personally.

Still no idea what the hell happens with Jeffery. If we get Jimmy, I feel like we keep him on.

I'm with you dude, I like McCarron... a lot. However, it really just doesn't look like it's happening.

I don't think the Bears did anything wrong regarding Cutler until Emery re-signed him for an ungodly amount of money and years.

I was all for the original Cutler deal from Denver.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now it does not look that way. But things change fast. JG has SF and Clv also pursuing him. I really believe AJM will be a solid NFL QB. Not elite but solid. A good run game and defense with solid QB play makes my mouth water.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh... Bridgewater is not good. lol

I dont know, Minnesota was expecting to compete for the division with him, they only went to bradford when he got injured. I mean, at least the Vikings were expected to continue on their path with him as their quarterback. Maybe they dont have the fans who are so quick to throw a young QB under the bus.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now it does not look that way. But things change fast. JG has SF and Clv also pursuing him. I really believe AJM will be a solid NFL QB. Not elite but solid. A good run game and defense with solid QB play makes my mouth water.
I'd rather take a shot at a QB that could be top tier than go after a QB you think is going to be solid. A good run game and defense with a solid QB won't get you Super Bowls much anymore. You need a good defense, run game, and a very good QB.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather take a shot at a QB that could be top tier than go after a QB you think is going to be solid. A good run game and defense with a solid QB won't get you Super Bowls much anymore. You need a good defense, run game, and a very good QB.
I disagree. Defense wins come PO time. You just need solid QB play.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. Defense wins come PO time. You just need solid QB play.
Who was the last "solid" QB to win a title?

How many "solid" QBs have made it to the super bowl in recent years? The only one I can think of is flacco, and he was on fire that year. The league has been changing to a pass first league for over 30 years and the Bears still try to build contenders without diddly at QB. Fuck trying to get another Kyle orton or jim Miller, let's try to get the next Derek Carr or Dak Prescott in the draft. Who knows we might end up with a top tier guy. Or we might just end up with a solid QB.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Bears did anything wrong regarding Cutler until Emery re-signed him for an ungodly amount of money and years.

I was all for the original Cutler deal from Denver.

Even when Emery resigned him. What are you going to do? It's what a QB is worth nowadays, and we were coming off of a season with the second ranked offense. Only second to a record setting Denver team. We couldn't let him walk. At that point, we were trying to put together and contender. There wasn't any other QB options, to speak of. It was a real shitty situation, IMO.

Emery did suck, but I don't know if it is for that. He sucks because he threw huge money out at EVERY single big name defensive free agent that off-season, and basically caused the mess we're still trying to get out of.

Fuckin Jared Allen... Santonio Holmes. lol... what were we doing?