• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agents

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas really hasn't lost anything though. It's not like his suspended salary is going to count against their cap.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas really hasn't lost anything though. It's not like his suspended salary is going to count against their cap.

Don't really care about that, it's more the distraction he could bring to the team.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't really care about that, it's more the distraction he could bring to the team.
So you think there's some distraction incurred on the Cowboys now that a player they've never even had on their team is suspended?

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found this note on walterfotball. I didn't see that it was mentioned here at all.

"Seahawks sign NT Ahtyba Rubin (1 year, $3.1M; $1M bonus): A- Grade
The Seahawks made a value signing by buying low on a player? You don't say! Ahtyba Rubin struggled mightily in 2014, but that may have been because of an ankle injury that hindered him early in the season and caused him to miss several games. He showed signs of improving late in the year, performing like he did the previous season when he was a monstrous run-stuffer for the Browns.

Rubin is a strong addition on a 1-year "prove it" deal. He'll be working hard to redeem himself so he can cash in with a bigger contract next spring, so it's safe to assume that Seattle's run defense will be strong in 2015."

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you think there's some distraction incurred on the Cowboys now that a player they've never even had on their team is suspended?

Granted it's a media circus 24/7 but this type of susp is an add on. We have enough minor distractions and this one would have been a major one.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Granted it's a media circus 24/7 but this type of susp is an add on. We have enough minor distractions and this one would have been a major one.
Well, that's your opinion, and I totally disagree with it. Not only did the Cowboys not give up a thing yet in this situation, but they're still in line to have the player on the team for 1/3 of the season and probably a tad more if he appeals and gets a reduced hit. You must think Russell and the boys are extremely fragile or something.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that's your opinion, and I totally disagree with it. Not only did the Cowboys not give up a thing yet in this situation, but they're still in line to have the player on the team for 1/3 of the season and probably a tad more if he appeals and gets a reduced hit. You must think Russell and the boys are extremely fragile or something.
One has to wonder just how ready to play is a player after missing more then a year and a half of football.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well I'm glad we can agree to disagree but when did I ever say RW and the boys are fragile? It's not about what the Cowboys gave up or didn't, it's about the character issue Hardy brings to the table that the media will keep asking about until he hits the field. Then if he sucks after his first couple of games back, those questions of was he the right choice will pop up. We don't need another Percy Harvin type distraction.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One has to wonder just how ready to play is a player after missing more then a year and a half of football.
Can you say "hamstrings?" Get on a slippery field against players that have been playing for awhile and pop!
Even a minor tear with the contract he has - he'll have to jump back in too early.
They'd be better off to ease him back in and have him ready for the playoffs - if the playoffs

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well here a new thought

Chris Polk

One of the more popular Washington Huskies in recent years — running back Chris Polk — became an unrestricted free agent on Friday. Could a Seattle reunion be in store?

In case you missed it, one of the more popular Washington Huskies in recent years — running back Chris Polk — became an unrestricted free agent on Friday when the Eagles rescinded an offer sheet (details here).

That led to an obvious question from several people on Twitter and elsewhere — would Polk be a good fit with the Seahawks?

Certainly, Seattle’s brain trust knows all about him, not just from his days at UW where he left as the school’s leading rusher. But also from having recruited him to USC. Polk, recall, committed to USC in 2007 when Pete Carroll was the coach there before changing his mind and signing with Washington.

Carroll last year quipped that “I didn’t get the mom on that one” to explain how Polk got away from USC.

But he also has done enough that he is sure to get another chance with someone, somewhere.

The Seahawks don’t necessarily have an urgent need at running back, with last year’s trio of Marshawn Lynch, Robert Turbin and Christine Michael all due to return next season. But the Seahawks like to add competition, and I don’t think there’s any doubt Polk could be a viable competitor for a backup spot with Turbin (who is roughly three weeks older than Polk) and Michael (about a year younger than Polk). Turbin has established a niche as the primary running back in the two-minute and getting spot carries here and there. But I’m not sure he’s yet answered the question of whether he’d be the full-time successor to Lynch. Michael has had few opportunities the last two seasons to do much, and as we’ve written often here, this season looms as a big one for him to start showing why the team drafted him in the second round in 2013.

With Lynch due $12 million in 2015, he’s going to get as many carries as ever. But especially in camp and the preseason, the team will want to get as good a look at Michael as possible to determine what they really have.

Polk gained 270 yards on 52 attempts for the Eagles the last two years in Chip Kelly’s spread offense. He seemed a good fit in that. But he ran in an offense with zone blocking schemes similar to what the Seahawks do at UW, and obviously to great success. So I don’t think he’d have real issues adapting to a change in scheme

Polk might also add something the Seahawks need — an ability to return kickoffs. Polk had a 102-yard kickoff return for a touchdown last season as one of 11 attempt overall for 340 yards. Even take out the 102-yarder and Polk had 238 yards on 10 attempts, an average of 23.8 that would have been better than the Seahawks got last year from Paul Richardson (23.5) and Percy Harvin (23.6).

Money, though, obviously comes into play here. Polk is now a fourth-year player, so the minimum he could be offered is $745,000 (he would have gotten $1.5 million had the tender gone through) while the Seahawks could draft a running back in a low round for less (the rookie minimum in 2015 is $435,000).

But with Lynch best viewed as a year-to-year proposition at this point, the Seahawks are sure to be looking for running backs who might be able to add something now, and maybe a lot more later. We’ll see if they think Polk might be an option.