• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agents

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
per Bob Condotta

Seahawks general manager John Schneider met with two reporters who cover the team today for about 10 minutes or so during the NFL League Meetings in Phoenix.

Here is what he said:

On if there is anything new regarding a contract extension for Russell Wilson: “Russell is a guy that wants to win championships for a long time and he has a good understanding of the business. We have strong leadership on both sides of the ball in guys like Sherm (Richard Sherman) and Kam (Chancellor) and Michael Bennett and then you go to the offensive side of the ball and you’ve got a guy like Russell. That being said, regarding Russell, he knows we are basically in like phase two of free agency. His people are aware that we want to be able to help our club as much as we possibly can and then we will get into talking about trying to retain guys that will be free agents next year. Bobby Wagner is a strong leader as well. Russell Okung, Bobby — we are going to try do help this club right now. Obviously we have to be very careful how we step with our cap moving forward because we know those guys are such instrumental pieces.’’

On if the goal is still to get something done with Wilson before the 2015 season: “Last year, we went through this, we went into free agency basically kind of have to make a tough decision between Michael Bennett and Golden Tate and we went with a pass rusher. So this year we were able to re-do as part of what we view as free agency, K.J. (Wright) and Cliff (Avril) — those guys were huge deals for us to be able to get those guys done. Now we feel like there are certain things we want to do to help our franchise and help the organization move forward and we are in that period right now. Things are calming down a little bit, if you will, on the unrestricted front, so we are hoping to get with those guys and their representatives fairly soon.’’

On the report that Michael Bennett wanted to be traded: “It’s my understanding that Michael is very happy in Seattle and loves playing there, so that’s really about all I can say about it. I’m not exactly sure where all that came from.’’

On if Bennett has ever asked to be traded: “He’s never asked to be traded.

So that means he’s never asked to be traded or to have his contract re-done: “He’s never asked to be traded.’’

On if there is still a chance of signing outside free agents such as Oakland center Stefen Wisniewski:“Yeah. We have brought a number of guys in on unrestricted visits and what happens is you want to get them physicaled and have them come in and see your place and visit with the coaches and have a certain comfort level ready so you can just go ahead and pull the trigger with those guys at the appropriate time. But it has to be, especially players who are added from the outside as unrestricted free agents, it has to be at a price that makes sense for us.’’

On if the price changes as time goes on: “. … yes, there are guys that maybe no state income tax (in Washington), the fan base and the stadium, if I’m going to go somewhere at a certain level that’s not equivalent to what I thought I was going to get going into free agency that yeah, Seattle would be a cool place to play.’’

On how serious they were about pursuing Greg Hardy: “I think you’ve heard me say before that we try to pride ourselves on being in every deal as much as we possibly can so that we know at the end of the day that when we put our heads on the pillow that we knew we were doing what was best for the organization and we decided no, we decided no and if we are going to stay in it we will stay in it. But I would never, it bugs me when certain deals go down, maybe a trade or something like that that I wasn’t in on or made aware of because you want to at least take a swing or decide if you want to be able to take a swing. So we always talk about with Trent (Kirchner) and Matt Thomas and Dan Morgan and all the guys in our pro department, that we are going to knock every door down and try to be in as many different deals as we possibly can. You cant be in everything but we will at least be able to walk away from it and know that we made a sound decision for the organization.’’

On if there was any reluctance to pursue Hardy given his legal history:“Absolutely, yeah. Yes. That was the primary thing.’’

On if they had decided whether they would sign Hardy if the price was right: “It was like, you have the background, you are trying to get more and more background on it, the situation itself and then when we found out what his level of compensation was going to be it was pretty easy for us to just walk away from it.’’

On the defensive line depth: “I like it. Being able to add (Ahtyba) Rubin was a big deal for us. Some guys we are going to get back next year we are excited about, some younger guys people don’t really know about, Jordan Hill and (Cassius) Marsh, we need keep those guys healthy. They need to have great off-seasons. But those guys are both really quick, exceptional, active football payers.’’

On Jesse Williams and if he will be back: “We are going to sign him back. We put him through waivers. He’s been injured so he was getting into the third year of his contract where he was not going to have a split (contract, where he will received a reduced salary if he is on Injured Reserve) so we needed to waive him, get him through, and then do another contract in case he gets hurt again. … he’s had a number of injures so we had to protect the club.’’

On if Brandon Mebane will be back in 2015: “I hope so, I hope so. We are going to continue to work through the off-season here. As of right now, yes.’’

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was hoping for a third or two fourths, but it's a hell of a lot better than a stick in the eye.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle now has 11 draft picks: 2nd, 3rd, 4th (NO), 4th, 4th (comp), 5th, 5th (comp), 6th (NYJ), 6th (comp) 6th (comp), 7th.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah sounds good ,, but unless they cut someone, kind of looks like a tight budget to me.

They're constantly reshaping the roster, up to and including during the regular season, so I'm not worried about it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How's our cap situation to date?
Minus the estimated cost of the draft, the remaining space is $6,992,880 according to Spotrac. Some of that needs to held to replace injuried players.
I figure a chunk of the remaining cap will be used for whatever prorated signing bonus they give to Wilson.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minus the estimated cost of the draft, the remaining space is $6,992,880 according to Spotrac. Some of that needs to held to replace injuried players.
I figure a chunk of the remaining cap will be used for whatever prorated signing bonus they give to Wilson.

Could there be a possibility that they use what cap space they have for the Bobby Wagner contract and wait till next offseason to give Wilson his contract extension?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could there be a possibility that they use what cap space they have for the Bobby Wagner contract and wait till next offseason to give Wilson his contract extension?
Maybe. Haven't heard any whispers about Wagner.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. Haven't heard any whispers about Wagner.

As good as Wagner is, he's still just a linebacker and on a team where the quarterback is in the same situation. QB will almost always get the print over the LB.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he'll be cheap and can play all three interior line spots. But he's also (comparatively) older than dirt.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he'll be cheap and can play all three interior line spots. But he's also (comparatively) older than dirt.
He's going on 34, but on the bright side he started every game last year and the years before. So he been holding up well. For depth, adding someone that been a starter his whole career sounds good.