• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agent Leftovers and Draft

snoopgoofdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This next year is starting to look bad. It looks like they are going to be looking at free agent leftovers and hoping for a good draft. Here comes a year of being at the bottom looking up. I just don't see anything positive to look forward to.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Building thru the draft is the way to build a winning team. Once your close you then can add a couple of FA to go for it.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just not seeing the cause for panic, and I don't think this team is doomed in 2018 for what has happened so far this off-season. Everyone who has left up to this point -- whether thru trade, free agency, or being cut -- has been a role player except for Sherman and maybe Bennett. Bennett certainly has been more than a role player during his time here, but he's coming up on 33 with nagging injuries each of he last couple years; I think his future is probably limited to a specialized role, and his contract is more in line with someone who is playing 60% of the snaps. I think Sherm has 2 or 3 really good years left, but it's not a total slam dunk given his age and injury. At a $13M bill, I fully understand why the team decided to cash in their chips and not make the risk on his final contract year.

I also don't care that we haven't participated in throwing around the silly money at the beginning of free agency. That just usually isn't smart money, historically. You notice that the Patriots haven't made splash moves, right? It seems like they seldom do. And as Harold just stated, you build a great with drafting, not free agents. Grab a free agent role player to plug a hole, but that's now how you put together a core to make a great team.