• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency Musings

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of these guys are asking for an arm and a leg ... WR Kenny Stills reportedly asking for 12 mil per year? Kevin Zeitler OG asking for 10 mil? Alshon Jeffery 15 mil? This is why you better draft well and re-sign your own guys.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we're the team linked closest to (at the moment) with Stills; I like him a lot but $12M?!? Wow. I hope the actual deal is less than the projection.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still s not worth 12M, so I say no. If there is an upgrade WR with speed and good hands asking for <10M, then Yes. Otherwise, I want one of the best CBs available, and again <10M per; or a solid LB; or DL.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get ready for Howie to sign his blue-light specials, under the radar names, younger guys, some aging vets etc. I could see a guy like Djack for a fraction of what Stills is asking.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is one of my musings: If we sign Latavius Murray, I hope he wears the same number as Demarco Murray, that was I can dust off the jersey I have collecting dust in my closet that I got as a birthday present some years back.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been talking about bringing in Kenny Stills halfway through the season ... but he's not worth even close to paying 12 mil to, at least imo. Really good deep threat and a better route runner than given credit for ... but to me he's a 7-8 mil guy at most. To make 12 mil you better be a clear cut #1 type.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been talking about bringing in Kenny Stills halfway through the season ... but he's not worth even close to paying 12 mil to, at least imo. Really good deep threat and a better route runner than given credit for ... but to me he's a 7-8 mil guy at most. To make 12 mil you better be a clear cut #1 type.
Fort that amount of money to go into a WR I'm rolling the dice on Terrelle Pryor.

SixthStreet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I'm an advocate of generally sitting out free agency. You never get what you pay for. With a real personnel guy in place in Joe Douglas, this team should focus on talent acquisition through the draft.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still thinking that guys like Robert Woods, Kamar Aiken, Kenny Britt could be much better value and give you similar production. If we go this route then the draft has to be the venue to get a vertical threat.

Another FA possibility at CB to keep in mind; Kayvon Webster. Could be a good value signing and was stuck behind 3 starters in Denver, never really got a chance to play a lot of snaps. Also a special teams ace that would contribute significantly in Fipp's group.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We really overpaid Rodney McLeod last season at safety. He's not a bad player, but nothing special. An average safety we signed to a 5-year, $37 million contract. His ole tackle at the goal line last season also raised questions about how hungry he is now. I hope we don't do more of that.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We really overpaid Rodney McLeod last season at safety. He's not a bad player, but nothing special. An average safety we signed to a 5-year, $37 million contract. His ole tackle at the goal line last season also raised questions about how hungry he is now. I hope we don't do more of that.

Be prepared that we may be signing Kenny Stills to $12M/yr. I hope that we do sign him, but not at that price and that the #'s being thrown around out there are just ambitious projections.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kenny Stills is a #3 receiver. If we pay him big money we are total idiots.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I'm an advocate of generally sitting out free agency. You never get what you pay for. With a real personnel guy in place in Joe Douglas, this team should focus on talent acquisition through the draft.

This. All of this!

G

greenwing

I am on board with giving Josh Gordon a shot. Low risk high reward.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't Cleveland still own Gordon's rights?

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you want to sign a guy who is addicted to drugs and hasn't played since 2014?

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you want to sign a guy who is addicted to drugs and hasn't played since 2014?

If Cleveland lets him walk, why not? He would be a low risk investment, if he can't return to form, cut him loose. With his baggage no one is going to offer him big money off the bat. If Cleveland moves on, I'd be willing to take a shot on him, no question. He has undisputed #1 tools and is still only 25.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Doug and Howie seem more willing to take risks on lower character guys than Reid and others did in the past. And it makes some sense to add some band-aid players to supplement whatever we do in the draft.

But, I would focus on high-character players who are stable and likely to help form a positive nucleus around Carson Wentz.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Doug and Howie seem more willing to take risks on lower character guys than Reid and others did in the past. And it makes some sense to add some band-aid players to supplement whatever we do in the draft.

But, I would focus on high-character players who are stable and likely to help form a positive nucleus around Carson Wentz.

While I agree with you that ideally you want as many high-character guys as you can get on your team, sometimes opportunities present themselves with a risk worth taking. I don't mean to say bring in every bum off the street just because he's got football talent, but Wentz is a very grounded person with strong spiritual beliefs who will not be swayed by anyone that comes onto the roster. If anything, I think Wentz's presence could help influence anyone in a positive way who comes here with questionable backgrounds because he comes from a strong one himself.

Gordon is still young enough to grow with the nucleus here if he does pan out, and more importantly he made the effort to admit to his mistakes and try to do something about it. That ultimately may mean jack-shit, but at this time seems like a good option to take a flyer on if Cleveland lets him walk. We all know he can produce like few can when he's on his game.