• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Freddy Canteen and Brandon Watson are blue!!!

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much information is out on those 2, both were offered in camp so our coaches have seen them in live action. Their commitments answer a few questions regarding our status with other players. Go Blue!

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Hoke expects more attrition than what has happened so far?

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there will always be more attrition, but I tend to think it is because we won't be getting certain players that were thought to be locks...

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we start offering 2 or 3-star DE's I think we should really be worried. Getting Hand now has become a little more important.

maize77blue

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we start offering 2 or 3-star DE's I think we should really be worried. Getting Hand now has become a little more important.

We can't get stuck on the star system because it isn't always right. I know it would be really great to get all 5 stars but even sometimes they tank. What was Mike Hart or Jake Ryan? Maybe they see something we just don't see.
And they might be 3 stars right now but who knows what happens in their senior year. Maybe the move up 1 star. I think Speight will be a 4 star qb after his senior year not a 3 star like he is now. IN HOKE AND CO. WE TRUST!!!!

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was Mike Hart or Jake Ryan?

Why does every Michigan fan bring up the Mike Hart argument when discussing this topic? If this were a valid point, Western Michigan would be dominating the landscape. In this day and age, scouting has gotten very good, especially with the kids that have attended the various camps. Is it perfect? Of course not.

Statistics prove that 5-stars > 4-stars > 3-stars. Unless you consider mathematics pseudo-science, this is not even worth debating.

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting Hand now has become a little more important.

getting players like Hand or McDowell is very important regardless of what recruiting on the other side of the ball look like...

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
getting players like Hand or McDowell is very important regardless of what recruiting on the other side of the ball look like...

There you go getting all real world on us again. In my world, the job for the defensive is to get the ball back so the offense can score.....a lot. I think we should focus on getting Westphal so we can switch Peppers to the offense.

Losing Artavis Scott is a huge disappointment for fans of exciting football. Oh well, at least he isn't going to the SEC

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw were Canteen is a 4 Star guy. If thats the case then I would think UofM would be happy.

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highly doubt we'll get Westphal, but I think we have a shot at Montae Nicholson who is probably the better player, albeit at a different position.

Coyote57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does every Michigan fan bring up the Mike Hart argument

B/c its a reminder that kids are not fated by their stars.

Statistics prove that 5-stars > 4-stars > 3-stars

Let's not confuse probabilities with fate either.

We're looking at kids with another yr of HS ball to play, a lot of those kids can add another star.
  • May have been playing w/ behind a Sr. last season, not gotten the touches / opportunities they'll get this yr.
  • May still be growing into their bodies and not had to co-ordination / strength last yr.
  • May be playing in a system that does not fit them as well as the college game
  • May be playing out of position - for the good of the team / poor coaching decision
Some kids would be ranked higher, if they'd gone to camps or gotten more press, but for some reason are under the radar. Today's 3 star may be next Feb's 4 star.

I notice a lot of kids get very different rankings from different lists. If rankings were all that cut and dried, the recruiting services would all be about the same on each kid.

Oh, and WMU has had some pretty good kids down through the yrs. Somehow Haverdink, Smers, Jennings all ended up Broncos instead of B10 kids.

Coyote57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rats, that is supposed to Smeegne not smers ... I shouldn't type until I've had that second pot of coffee.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coyote, all your explanations are plausible. However, each year when the NFL draft rolls around, the higher rated recruits outperform their lesser counterparts. Sorry, didn't mean to disparage WMU. Didn't Jack Harbaugh coach there for a while too.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have more faith in a 3 star kid the coaches had at their camp and know than a 4 star kid that got his ranking from having a good camp and having a Rivals guy say this is a top 150 player.

The stars are great for off season but the difference between the 90th player in the country and say the 120th is what? a .10 of a second on a slow track? 10 pounds on a messed up scale? A dropped pass at a camp that the QB put to much heat on?

I loosely follow recruiting as it gives me something to do in the offseason but I refuse to think their is much difference between the #3 ranked team nationally and the 8th!

As for Mike Hart....Not a huge fan in retrospect. He was slow and and not a good short yardage guy. I think he benefited from some really good lines and QBs. He was Blue and thats the best I can say about him. The records could very easily been another guys with those teams he played on. IMO

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Mike Hart....Not a huge fan in retrospect. He was slow and and not a good short yardage guy. I think he benefited from some really good lines and QBs. He was Blue and thats the best I can say about him. The records could very easily been another guys with those teams he played on. IMO

I feel the same. I feel he was a product of a good 0-line. I also feel the beff is coming back to the 0-line and all the sudden were going to be talking about a bunch of running backs that are good.

I think I will be talking about all those hogs in the trenches that will be responisible for 5 yards a carry instead of 1.

I won't bash our RBs, but will tend to give credit to the Line.

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hart had good vision and the ability to make tacklers miss is small spaces... he just wasn't fast enough to play RB long term in the NFL...

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Mike Hart....Not a huge fan in retrospect.

In retrospect, I'm not a big fan of Jim Beam

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In retrospect, with the roster we had Denard Robinson just looks all that more impressive.

Coyote57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
each year when the NFL draft rolls around, the higher rated recruits outperform
their lesser counterparts.

As often as the NFL brass miss on lower ranked guys who turn out to better than higher ranked, the chances of missing on a H.Schooler (esp. those who doesn't get much / any coverage) are even higher. The NFL has a lot more info to work with scouting the colleges, than the colleges scouting the H.Schools.

Sorry, didn't mean to disparage WMU. Didn't Jack Harbaugh coach there for a
while too.

No worries, I didn't consider it disparaging, I thought you were just making a comparison. Jack did coach WMU between Uzelac (aka 'Lose-a-lot') and Molde. He known as "Mad Jack" back then. My ass't wrestling coach played on WMU's football team on Uzelac's last two seasons, and Jack's 1st two. According to him, Jack was insane and out of control, would fire ass't coaches at half-time, and carry on like a two yr old throwing a tantrum. From what I've heard, Jack calmed down a lot after his WMU days. Neither Elliot nor Jack were known to refrain from profanity laced tirades, but according to my ass't Elliot was head and shoulders the better Head coach when he was in the program. Of the two, it seems Jack may have been the one to learn more, and grew more from his WMU days.