• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FOX might buy WWE's TV rights if they lose UFC

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fox might buy WWE broadcast rights or even the whole company

So pay attention to what happens with UFC's TV deal and it'll most likely mean FOX will pony up since they'll need programming to fill its network. Also, it'll likely mean Raw will move back to 2 hours in exchange for being aired on network TV as opposed to cable (SD would likely still air on cable via FS1)

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sports TV rights fees have gone up significantly in recent years (up nearly 70% from 2011 to 2016), so it's likely that the WWE contract will be far more than the $140M/year it is right now...

ESPN is largely to blame since they initially overpaid for NFL rights a few years ago (when there were supposedly no offers even close to that), and that set a precedence for other sports seeking significant fee increases.

585462046e25b.image.jpg

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is picking up some steam. Some new reports are out that FOX has amped up its efforts to get a deal done for the broadcast rights and a team of Fox Sports execs were at SD Live this past Tuesday in the front row.

Colin Cowherd was also there but fuck that guy. He's shit on wrestling and its fans his entire career and the first time he gets free tickets, he shows up acting like its great. GTFO asswipe

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense that Fox would want the rights. They just came into a crap load of money and need to find an audience that isn't prone to cord cutting. Which for the most part I don't think wrestling fans are. I would just wonder if they bought the rights if they'd get any kind of say in creative.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see NBC Universal letting WWE go. Raw has been the reason USA has been #1 in the ratings for years and they even moved Raw to 3 hours and SD to live on Tuesdays because USA wanted more WWE. What I see as a real possibility is if NBC offers them a shit ton more than FOX and promises to put Raw on NBC itself(and back to 2 hours) and keep SD live on USA.

Of course I think WWE wants Raw on broadcast tv more than anything because the potential for bigger ratings(and they really really want to go back to 2 hours but USA wont let them) so if FOX makes an offer close to NBC but promises them FOX itself over FS1 for Raw I can see Vince taking it.