• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Former Giants in the big leagues - 2017

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn’t weird. He is working for the Phils AND KNBR.

He will also be contributing with Marty...

Last edited:
Reactions: LHG

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn’t weird. He is working for the Phils AND KNBR.

He will also be contributing with Marty...

The little piece I read didn't say anything about KNBR. It merely mentioned that Frandsen was the last of the three hired to play in the MLB and hadn't officially retired yet.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Engelb Vielma has been DFA’d for the 3rd time this off season. The Giants first DFA’d him with the Phils claiming him. Then the Phils DFA’d him with the Pirates taking him (I totally missed this one). Now the Bucs are attempting to slip him through.

Every year there are a few of these players playing hot-potato.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Engelb Vielma has been DFA’d for the 3rd time this off season. The Giants first DFA’d him with the Phils claiming him. Then the Phils DFA’d him with the Pirates taking him (I totally missed this one). Now the Bucs are attempting to slip him through.

Every year there are a few of these players playing hot-potato.
It does seem to have become a thing only in the last 5 years. At least, I don't remember stuff like this happening in the last decade. A player might have been passed through one or two 40 man rosters but usually landed a minor league deal instead of teams constantly claiming and then attempting to dfa to the minor leagues.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you were to form a 25 man roster out of guys who either played in the farm or on the big league club and appeared with other big league teams during the 2017 season, you would get the following:
Starting pitchers (5): Mike Leake, Adalberto Mejia, Luis Castillo, Zach Wheeler, Joe Biagini/Francisco Liriano
Relief pitchers (8): Santiago Casilla, Jason Grilli, Heath Hembree, David Hernandez, Francisco Liriano/Joe Biagini, Dan Otero, Yusimeiro Petit, Sergio Romo
Catchers (2): Hector Sanchez, Chris Stewart
Infielders (4): Ehire Adrianza, Tommy Joseph, Eduardo Nunez, Ruben Tejada
Outfielders (6): Norichika Aoki, Carlos Beltran, Gregor Blanco, Melky Cabrera, Rajai Davis, Adam Duvall

The highest offensive WAR among the position players was Melky Cabrera at 1.7. Eduardo Nunez (1.2) and Adam Duvall (1.0) were the only other two at 1 or higher WAR.

Among the "They are still around?" group: Eugenio Velez and Ramon Ramirez both played down in Mexico, Casey McGehee is back in Japan, David Aardsma and Alfredo Simon pitched together with Long Island and Henry Sosa just finished his 4th consecutive season in Korea.
Spitballing an updated roster...

SP - Leake, Moore, Mejia, Castillo, Liriano, Wheeler. 4 legit MLB starters, but Moore is completely lost and Castillo is the #4 on arguably the worst staff in baseball. Wheeler is probably officially a bust at this point in his career. Liriano is currently in Toronto’s rotation, but for how long?

Bully- Casilla, Pettit, Hernandez, Kontos, Romo, Lincecum, Otero, Hembree. Not a lefty in the bunch, so not a “real” bully. Crick did not make the Bucs opening day roster, but he could be the best of the crop.

Catcher - none. Hactor is back in the fold and Stewart is currently teamless. FedX is in someone’s system, but not the majors. I can’t think of any former Giants currently holding an MLB catcher job.

Infield - Adrianza, Duffy, Nunez, Joseph. Arroyo SHOULD be on this list by the end of the year, but he is currently in the minors. The A-ray/Duffy/Nunez trio is actually pretty solid.

Outfield - Span, Duvall, Melky, Rajai. Parker is out there, and will likely find an opportunity SOMEWHERE, but maybe not in the majors right away.

Reactions: LHG

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spitballing an updated roster...

SP - Leake, Moore, Mejia, Castillo, Liriano, Wheeler. 4 legit MLB starters, but Moore is completely lost and Castillo is the #4 on arguably the worst staff in baseball. Wheeler is probably officially a bust at this point in his career. Liriano is currently in Toronto’s rotation, but for how long?

Bully- Casilla, Pettit, Hernandez, Kontos, Romo, Lincecum, Otero, Hembree. Not a lefty in the bunch, so not a “real” bully. Crick did not make the Bucs opening day roster, but he could be the best of the crop.

Catcher - none. Hactor is back in the fold and Stewart is currently teamless. FedX is in someone’s system, but not the majors. I can’t think of any former Giants currently holding an MLB catcher job.

Infield - Adrianza, Duffy, Nunez, Joseph. Arroyo SHOULD be on this list by the end of the year, but he is currently in the minors. The A-ray/Duffy/Nunez trio is actually pretty solid.

Outfield - Span, Duvall, Melky, Rajai. Parker is out there, and will likely find an opportunity SOMEWHERE, but maybe not in the majors right away.

I will cut you for that...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Moore now 0-3 with an 8.76 ERA so far, so there's that

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Moore now 0-3 with an 8.76 ERA so far, so there's that

orig

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he probably doesn't count as a former Giant but I'll still put it here. The Orioles called up Engelb Vielma (no, tzill, they didn't call up Andrew Susac yet).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he probably doesn't count as a former Giant but I'll still put it here. The Orioles called up Engelb Vielma (no, tzill, they didn't call up Andrew Susac yet).
Anyone else fear for tz’s little swimmers when you read the news that the Giants were starting Andrew Su....arez in today’s game?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm sharpening the spoon....