• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Former Giants in the big leagues - 2017

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you were to form a 25 man roster out of guys who either played in the farm or on the big league club and appeared with other big league teams during the 2017 season, you would get the following:
Starting pitchers (5): Mike Leake, Adalberto Mejia, Luis Castillo, Zach Wheeler, Joe Biagini/Francisco Liriano
Relief pitchers (8): Santiago Casilla, Jason Grilli, Heath Hembree, David Hernandez, Francisco Liriano/Joe Biagini, Dan Otero, Yusimeiro Petit, Sergio Romo
Catchers (2): Hector Sanchez, Chris Stewart
Infielders (4): Ehire Adrianza, Tommy Joseph, Eduardo Nunez, Ruben Tejada
Outfielders (6): Norichika Aoki, Carlos Beltran, Gregor Blanco, Melky Cabrera, Rajai Davis, Adam Duvall

The highest offensive WAR among the position players was Melky Cabrera at 1.7. Eduardo Nunez (1.2) and Adam Duvall (1.0) were the only other two at 1 or higher WAR.

Among the "They are still around?" group: Eugenio Velez and Ramon Ramirez both played down in Mexico, Casey McGehee is back in Japan, David Aardsma and Alfredo Simon pitched together with Long Island and Henry Sosa just finished his 4th consecutive season in Korea.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That team might just beat your 2017 San Francisco Giants.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That team might just beat your 2017 San Francisco Giants.
The starting rotation may be deeper than ours and there are some bright spots in that bullpen (but no lights out closer). However, there's no real hitting! Duvall looked to be fine in the cleanup spot, if you remove his September. Cabrera is a decent number 3 hitter. But its downhill quickly from there. Its going to be really weird when Carlos Beltran retires, seeing that he is exactly my age.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The starting rotation may be deeper than ours and there are some bright spots in that bullpen (but no lights out closer). However, there's no real hitting! Duvall looked to be fine in the cleanup spot, if you remove his September. Cabrera is a decent number 3 hitter. But its downhill quickly from there. Its going to be really weird when Carlos Beltran retires, seeing that he is exactly my age.

Welcome to the club, I'm even older than Colon

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome to the club, I'm even older than Colon

Colon’s got me by a little over a year, but yeah, I stopped measuring my age to pro athletes a LONG time ago...

The past 5 years or so has been weird, watching all the guys around my age disappear. I already found it fascinating when guys would play into their 40s. Now, I really find it fascinating. I can barely keep up with my children. Of course, some of them can barely keep up on a fastball.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NOW I feel old...

A guy I drank beers with in college just got hired as a MLB managers.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mickey Callaway or Alex Cora?
Cora. My first night in the dorms my freshman year, me and a few guys from my floor went hall walking meeting a bunch of people. We got the 5th floor, where a bunch of baseball players lived and Cora and a few other players were hanging in the hall. We hung out for a couple beers then moved on...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Petit just signed with the A's, 2 yrs $10 mil with a club option in yr 3

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dang. Nice contract for a guy who has been a NRI multiple times in his career.

Also a nice bargain for a guy who's been pretty dang solid (including great last year).

I always like stories like this. After this contract dude's going to have made around $20M in his career. Never a major cog, but was always juuuusssttt useful enough to pay.

Play baseball kiddos (to all the kids not reading this website).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dang. Nice contract for a guy who has been a NRI multiple times in his career.
And he's, what, the third free agent to sign a deal this offseason (not counting minor league free agents)?
I just realized that 11 other players on this list are also free agents, not including Carlos Beltran, who is now auditioning for the Yankee's managerial spot. When was the last time a player went directly to manager? What's next, the return of player-managers?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Frandsen was added to the broadcast booth for the Phillies. Apparently, the Phillies like the orations of former big leaguers named Kevin, as they named three new broadcasters, all named Kevin (Jordan and Stocker are the other two. Jordan played a season in Fresno after his big league career was over).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No mention of this on KNBR earlier today. Franny got a lot of air time over the holidays filling in at all hours. He was actually pretty decent. I think KNBR was grooming him for a prime chair.

I will be interested in hearing the opinions of this tomorrow. Any word on if he is sticking around for a while, or is he moving to Philly radio right away?