• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fordmans food stuffs

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bacon wrapped Jalapeno poppers

This one doesn't really have a recipe, but a method and the ol' eyeball. I use Sprite to soak the jalapenos because Sprite will cut the heat while leaving the crispness and the flavor. If you like the heat and everyone else does too, then skip that step. But it works and has been a gamechanger at my house. I used to only be able to make 4 or so poppers because my wife would avoid the hot ones. Now I have requests to make these because they taste great and aren't too hot.

jalapenos
cream cheese
shredded cheddar
bacon (not center cut, it takes too long to cook)
BBQ rub of choice
Sprite

Seed and cut the jalepenos in half, then place in a container or ziploc and cover with sprite and soak overnight. The next day mix up your cream cheese and shredded cheddar. For 10 jalapenos I will usually use one block of Philly cream cheese and i guess about a cup of extra sharp shredded cheddar. Sprinkle in your rub of choice, or I've also had good luck just using Lawry's season salt. Put roughly a spoonful of the mixture into each jalapeno half, then wrap bacon lengthwise. Pin the bacon into place with a toothpick, set aside and move on to the next one. I have found that I can actually take each strip of bacon and cut it in half, then that half will be enough to make a single pass around the jalapeno. Place all of the jalapenos on a rack in your smoker and let em go for about 2 hours on 225. Mesquite works well with this, but whatever you have will work. These are always a side item for me as I'm smoking something else. The bacon will keep almost all of the cream cheese mixture in, so don't have to worry about drips except from the bacon.

Only word of advice are to set a couple aside for yourself if you are making them for a party, and DON'T FORGET TO WARM ABOUT THE TOOTHPICKS. They will blend in, and people will be carried away and just dig in. :laugh3:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enjoying another one right now...CoronaRita

1 can frozen limeade (in the frozen juice section of grocery store)
1 can water
1 can sprite
1 can tequila
1 Corona Extra

Use the limeade can for measuring, mix it all together in a pitcher. Pour and enjoy. These sumbitches pack a PUNCH (at least to a father who doesn't drink much anymore). Tastes great, looks like a lot of tequila when you are mixing it but can't even taste it.

Cheers :suds:

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ford...your "pink stuff" recipe is one of those that is really quick to make and people of all ages like to eat.

I have seen one similar, but used a pistachio "green" jello mix instead.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ford...your "pink stuff" recipe is one of those that is really quick to make and people of all ages like to eat.

I have seen one similar, but used a pistachio "green" jello mix instead.

Yup, that is what a lot of people tell me. They say they have one for "green pistachio" instead.

I've got another couple of recipes to put on here, in the process of changing computers though. Got a really fast and easy recipe for street corn...damn good.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupidly easy, and tastes great:

1 bunch of fresh Asparagus
salt
pepper
lime juice
olive oil
heavy duty tin foil

Tear off a section of foil, probably a foot and a half to two feet. Wash the asparagus, then for each stalk grab each end. Bend the ends together until the stalk breaks and throw away the bottoms. Repeat for each stalk, this will get the tough parts off. Lay the asparagus out on the foil, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and a bit of pepper. Then give the entire bunch a squirt of lime juice. This may do nothing, but I've always done it and it always turns out well. This isn't a lot of juice, just give it a good spray.

Fold the foil up into a leakproof pouch, toss on the back of the grill as you are cooking your steaks/chicken/whatever. Cook for 5 minutes on each side. That's it. Easy as can be, and tastes much better than any steamed or canned asparagus. :suds:

Nice thread!

Next time you do this, add chopped garlic right at the end...

:drool:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bacon wrapped Jalapeno poppers

This one doesn't really have a recipe, but a method and the ol' eyeball. I use Sprite to soak the jalapenos because Sprite will cut the heat while leaving the crispness and the flavor. If you like the heat and everyone else does too, then skip that step. But it works and has been a gamechanger at my house. I used to only be able to make 4 or so poppers because my wife would avoid the hot ones. Now I have requests to make these because they taste great and aren't too hot.

jalapenos
cream cheese
shredded cheddar
bacon (not center cut, it takes too long to cook)
BBQ rub of choice
Sprite

Seed and cut the jalepenos in half, then place in a container or ziploc and cover with sprite and soak overnight. The next day mix up your cream cheese and shredded cheddar. For 10 jalapenos I will usually use one block of Philly cream cheese and i guess about a cup of extra sharp shredded cheddar. Sprinkle in your rub of choice, or I've also had good luck just using Lawry's season salt. Put roughly a spoonful of the mixture into each jalapeno half, then wrap bacon lengthwise. Pin the bacon into place with a toothpick, set aside and move on to the next one. I have found that I can actually take each strip of bacon and cut it in half, then that half will be enough to make a single pass around the jalapeno. Place all of the jalapenos on a rack in your smoker and let em go for about 2 hours on 225. Mesquite works well with this, but whatever you have will work. These are always a side item for me as I'm smoking something else. The bacon will keep almost all of the cream cheese mixture in, so don't have to worry about drips except from the bacon.

Only word of advice are to set a couple aside for yourself if you are making them for a party, and DON'T FORGET TO WARM ABOUT THE TOOTHPICKS. They will blend in, and people will be carried away and just dig in. :laugh3:
Great thread here Fordman! I just signed up for a company potluck and decided to give Jalapeno poppers a try. I've made them once or twice before and never put much thought into them. Thought I'd peruse the Hoop to see if anyone had posted anything. This was the first thing I found of substance. So thanks for this! Not many of my coworkers can handle the spice, so I'll probably do 12 with your sprite method, and another 12 without.

I don't have a smoker so I'll probably just oven bake them. Won't be nearly as good, but still worthwhile.

Just curious, but are there any other Popper Recipes that anyone would like to chime in with? @beardown07 @PnkPanther @Edisto_Tiger @4down20 @SlinkyRedfoot

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great thread here Fordman! I just signed up for a company potluck and decided to give Jalapeno poppers a try. I've made them once or twice before and never put much thought into them. Thought I'd peruse the Hoop to see if anyone had posted anything. This was the first thing I found of substance. So thanks for this! Not many of my coworkers can handle the spice, so I'll probably do 12 with your sprite method, and another 12 without.

I don't have a smoker so I'll probably just oven bake them. Won't be nearly as good, but still worthwhile.

Just curious, but are there any other Popper Recipes that anyone would like to chime in with? @beardown07 @PnkPanther @Edisto_Tiger @4down20 @SlinkyRedfoot

I am sorry to report that I have never cooked jalapeno poppers. I've eaten my share, though. Good luck!

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand anything except pizza with steak and goat cheese...haven't found a reason for anything else.

I guess I could add poppers onto the pie?

For breakfast:
p_RU246636.jpg

and dinner:
6986212695_a34c2871e0.jpg

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

These are the ones that I have made and they turned out great. And I did them on my weber grill (charcoal) over indirect heat and placed them in an aluminum pan. That worked just fine.

Atomic Buffalo Turd Jalapeno Poppers (aka – A.B.T.) - The Black Peppercorn

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are the ones that I have made and they turned out great. And I did them on my weber grill (charcoal) over indirect heat and placed them in an aluminum pan. That worked just fine.

Atomic Buffalo Turd Jalapeno Poppers (aka – A.B.T.) - The Black Peppercorn

This is more or less what I do few times I've made them

You can go without sausage, or use pulled pork, chorizo, etc.

Instead of chili power I use a BBQ rub, depends on what I have in kitchen. Montery Jack is fine, but I"ve used Pepper jack, cheddar, or other cheese. You could probably go mexican themed and use queso manchego, fajita spices, etc

world is your oyster

If you're worried about spice you can use Anaheim peppers as well or other small sweet peppers.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll prolly get murdered for this, but I kinda like to use prosciutto instead of bacon.

In my experience ( and this does not include smoking em') but the bacon tends to only get done on one side(exposed side) while the inside never tends to get done the way I like. Now you could prolly slow and low that bech to get around that, but I am lazy and generally don't want to spend all day on an appetizer.

And sometimes a little BBQ sauce baste the last bit too.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll prolly get murdered for this, but I kinda like to use prosciutto instead of bacon.

In my experience ( and this does not include smoking em') but the bacon tends to only get done on one side(exposed side) while the inside never tends to get done the way I like. Now you could prolly slow and low that bech to get around that, but I am lazy and generally don't want to spend all day on an appetizer.

And sometimes a little BBQ sauce baste the last bit too.
That's a great point on the bacon. I plan to use that so I may just throw them on the bbq to get them cooked better.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poppers came out great! Didn't have the time to try the sprite to reduce the heat, but the end result wasn't too hot. At least not for me!

Stuffing:
*2 - 8oz blocks of cream cheese
*2.5 cups of shredded Colby Jack cheese
*1 cup of grated parmesan cheese
*2-3 tbsp of garlic powder

Mixed all that up in a bowl and put 1-2oz portions in each jalapeno slice. Wrapped with bacon & put on the cold side of grill. Sprinkled the top of all of them with onion powder.

Made about 40 poppers total. Some of the poppers had the bacon come off and had to pull it from the grill to recover. Learned the hard way that wrapping without toothpicks requires a particular method. Left them on the grill for about an hour, which was longer than I expected them to take, but then again there were a lot in there & I had to low & slow or else I was askin for a grease fire. Also had to shuffle them a few times to keep some from getting burnt.

Got a lot of compliments on them so it was a good first time recipe.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brisket rub and method

3 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cayenne powder

Pretty basic, makes plenty for an average sized brisket (a whole one with flat and point). If just doing a flat, maybe cut this in half. Since my 2 year old loves to eat this, I cut the cayenne in half to be safe.

After I mix it all up in a bowl, I put it in my coffee/spice grinder and cut it into a fine powder. Found that absorbs a lot better. I attach it to the meat with a good thick layer of yellow mustard.

I cook my brisket 1.5 hours per pound, and that is the purchased weight and not the post-trimmed weight. I have a 10# right now on the counter
IMG_2589_zpsdcbcbd2e.jpg

I'll put it on the smoker with a 75/25 hickory/pecan and let that go untouched at 225 for 6 hours. At that point it will have busted through the stall and should be around 160. If not, I'll actually wait for 160-170 degrees. At that point I triple wrap it in heavy duty foil, and pour about 3/4 a can of beef broth into the foil with it. Don't pour it over the meat or it might wash off the rub...just pour it down the side of the foil. Seal her up and back in the smoker until it hit 197 degrees. I look for that number on the dot.

When it hits 197, it comes out and the whole thing gets wrapped in a towel and put either in the oven (if free) or a cooler for at least 3 hours. When the 3 hours is up I'll separate the point from the flat AND SAVE THE JUICE FROM THE FOIL. Cut the point up into 1" square pieces and put em in a large foil pan. Cover them with a little bit of store bought rub (I use John Henry Pecan Rub) in the pan. Then pour a good amount of your favorite BBQ sauce over them. Turn on your grill and put the pan on the grates. I go on high on the grill, and you have to CONSTANTLY stir. After about 10-15 minutes you will notice the sauce start to darken up. Now you REALLY have to stir them around. The cubes will get a nice black color, and they will be the best burnt ends you have ever had.

Back inside with the flat: Slice the flat about 1/4" against the grain. After you slice the flat, I will loosely stack them in a casserole dish or cake pan. I want them standing up, but leaning against each other. Pour the juice that you saved earlier all over them. You can also dredge each slice if you have the time and desire, but just pouring it will get all of that flavor back into the meat.

You are now ready to serve your awesome, tender, fall apart with a fork but still springy enough that judges wouldn't massacre you, brisket. I prefer a fresh cold beer and my homemade mustard potato salad on the side. Recipe for that to follow. :suds:

Just read this, wondering why you would use white sugar and table salt on this?

Brown Sugar adds so much more richness to any savory foods especially, and you're really just using the sugar to carmalize anyways. I feel like brown sugar, and especially dark brown caramelizes more evenly with less burning than white sugar.

And I was recently turned on to the different kinds of salts, once you try a few you can actually taste a huge difference. Any sea salt or Himalayan salt would work better in a dry rub I feel.

For my personal all purpose beef dry rub I have just always eyed things up, so sometimes it ends up a little spicier or sometimes a bit sweeter.
Brown sugar
Smoked paprika (my favorite most important ingredient, 100x better than regular paprika)
Umami powder (made from powdered shiitake mushrooms, but doesn't taste mushroomy. Asian places use it the way they used to use msg)
Black garlic powder (recently discovered this stuff and its amazing)
Onion powder
Black pepper preferably fresh ground
Cayenne pepper powder
Cinnamon (go super light on this, you dont want to taste cinnamon, but a hint of something that you're not really sure what it was)

I dry brine all my meat with large grain Himalayan salt or kosher salt for at least an hour. Put 3-4 times more salt on than you think you need. It will draw a ton of moisture out of your meat for the first half hour and then absorb it and the salt back in. When done brining wipe the excess salt off. Then rub the dry rub on. It doesn't need to sit, because there's no salt in the dry rub I use so letting it sit really wont penetrate the meat much at all. Add some finishing salt at the end, preferably by pretending that you're the "Salt Bae" guy.

My smoker cant hold a constant temperature for shit, and to get anything under about 350 I need to jury rig the shit out a things. So I do WAY more sous vide than anything and finish on my grill or my smoker just to get a good crust.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pink Stuff

And finally a desert. I don't have a fancy name for this, so "pink stuff" works. Make it once, call it this, and everyone will simply say "pass the pink stuff" or "why the eff didn't you bring pink stuff this year???". Oh yeah, and it is crazy easy to make.

1 container of cool whip (tub, not the aerosol can crap)
1 small can of crushed pineapple
1 small can of mandarin oranges
1 bag of small marsh-mellows
1 box of strawberry jello (I advise against sugar free)

Drain the pineapple juice and orange juice into a glass and SAVE. Mix the fruit and coolwhip in a large bowl. Stir in marsh-mellows. Add jello for coloring and a slight amount of taste. Typically I'll add about half the pouch. Mix well until it is a solid pink color. The marsh-mellows will have sucked all the moisture out of this mix, so slowly add back the juice from the fruit. Don't pour it all in, just a bit at a time until it gets a shiny texture back. Don't want it soupy, and don't want it chunky.

Done. Cover with lid or saran wrap and put in fridge until ready to serve. Simple and damn good! :suds:

Looks like one that I make. I use orange jello and I know this is going to sound strange but I use cottage cheese instead of marshmallows. I can't stand the taste of cottage cheese. But you don't taste it.