• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Football Transfers and Attrition

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DE Justin Taylor is missing from the hokiesports.com roster... anybody know more about this?

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Virginia Tech's Scholarship Situation For The 2014 Class - Gobbler Country

So VT is already "over" the scholarship limit with 4 or 5 more players yet to be added to the 2014 class?
Anyone know the details of the Kevin Asante situation?

There seems to be a mathematical error in that article re: seniors... says 14 but only names 13. I believe 13 is correct, as I can't think who the 14th would be. Perhaps they were doublecounting Wang as both a r-Sr. and r-Jr. Wang redshirted in 2009, then played in 2010, 2011, and 2012. But the hokiesports.com roster lists him as a r-Jr, not r-Sr. According to Bryan Johnston, Associate Director, Virginia Tech Athletics Communications: "There's a lot of confusion on this and it's changed, but we were told by football to list him as a r-Jr. They are confident he will be given a 6th year after this year should he choose to apply for it, so they want him listed as a junior." Wang only played in 2 games in 2011, suffering a broken foot early on.
TechSideline.Com | Football Forum

They also counted Justin Taylor, who is no longer listed on hokiesports.com roster. I'm not sure what is going on there. Whether he's really gone or not, you can bet that there will be more attrition. Will guys like Gresh, St. Germain, Smiling, etc. come back for a r-Sr. year? Will someone else have to give up football for medical reasons this year (ala Acree, Cole...)? Etc.

If you take those things into account, we're at 82 scholarships right now, not 84. Oh, and the article also included Drew Harris, which ain't happening. I'm not overly concerned.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DE Justin Taylor is missing from the hokiesports.com roster... anybody know more about this?

He was listed as a tackle on the spring BeamerBall Depth chart, but as a 3rd/4th string. I don't think he ever had the work ethic and got pushed to the end of the depth chart.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Willenbrock is next in line. Came to camp at 237 lbs....a bit lite for an OL.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting. He was back up at OG. Never good losing depth on the O-Line. Wonder why he quit.

Last edited by a moderator:

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andy Bitter ‏@AndyBitterVT
Have been told CB Donaldven Manning is taking the day to consider his future w/VT. S Greg Jones (shoulder) also done with football. #Hokies

More attrition: DL Jarontay Jones, CB Davion Tookes have given up football at Virginia Tech. OL Jake Goins done for medical reasons. #Hokies

Wow. Two OL, Possibly two DBs and a DL gone just like that.

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we continue at this rate, we might not have a football team come the season

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wowwww. Schollies opening up like crazy

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wondering what the source of all of this is? New coaches running guys harder in practice?

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF!?!?!? I can understand a few of these guys, but damn. Depth will be a serious issue at OL and CB this year. And with reports that Coles knee is still giving him big problems, we may not have any WR's either.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have been told CB Donaldven Manning is taking the day to consider his future w/VT. S Greg Jones (shoulder) also done with football. #Hokies

More attrition: DL Jarontay Jones, CB Davion Tookes have given up football at Virginia Tech. OL Jake Goins done for medical reasons. #Hokies

Wow. Two OL, Possibly two DBs and a DL gone just like that.

I am hoping Manning sticks around, he is talented, but it has taken him awhile to put on weight and he sounds like it might possibly be some home sickness going on. It is also looking like he is falling down the depth chart though. Reported that Facyson will be starting in Exums place and that Kendall may be the nickel corner. Still, Donaldven would be in the rotation I think.

Tookes and Jones are way down on the depth chart. They have been talking about moving Jones to FB I believe. Sucks about Goins..

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the hell are all these people quitting?!?!

My guess is that it is related from playing time. Doesn't help that most of them are from OOS.
The decision may be mutual between players and staff wrt some of them. Big time football programs show underachievers the door fairly often.