• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Football Transfers and Attrition

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a worth a shot (Asante's scholarship offer) to try to land Marquise Williams. A guy like that has a short leash when his buddy doesn't sign.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that Caleb and Stanford will be pleasant surprises this year and I also think that Irick may turn into the leaper we need in the red zone (Justin Harper, Marcus Davis).

Yep, from what I have heard, Stanford would be getting significant reps this year (even more so now). If Caleb gets it together mentally he will be a beast.

Have heard alot of good things about Meyer too..don't know much about Irick.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a worth a shot (Asante's scholarship offer) to try to land Marquise Williams. A guy like that has a short leash when his buddy doesn't sign.

I know that was situation was a bit of a mess a couple years ago and I can certainly see how people would think like that. Alot of people think MW played VT to get KA an offer.

Not sure if offering Asante was a blatant attempt at landing Williams, but I don't think so. Asante has some skills, and I don't feel like Frank and Co. work like that. If that was the case they would have cut him loose when MW went with UNC.

Also, If VT worked like that they would have offered Marcus Boone this year, and probably many, many others from various high schools in Virginia (in particular the 757). You know...similar to what CML did at Norfolk Christian a couple years ago :laugh3:

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT has done it many times, just not so much recently (from my perspective). All the way back to my first year following recruiting, the class of 1997. VT offer Butch Patrick, a tiny albeit fast player to land his buddy Adrian Pressey at wide receiver. Pressey didn't make it to the start of the season as a freshman before transferring home to Delaware and Patrick's days were numbered.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 1997 approach is a lot different than the 2011 approach. Sure they wanted Williams but they liked what they saw of Asante as well when watching MW. Would they have offered him without fingered in Williams? Probably not, but more likely because they would not have seen any of his film without following MW.

I don't think this staff offers to lure others. Glover and Boone would have been offered by now if that was the case.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 1997 approach is a lot different than the 2011 approach. Sure they wanted Williams but they liked what they saw of Asante as well when watching MW. Would they have offered him without fingered in Williams? Probably not, but more likely because they would not have seen any of his film without following MW.

I don't think this staff offers to lure others. Glover and Boone would have been offered by now if that was the case.

+1

Asante got an offer because of his speed and production his senior year. They probably wouldn't know about him without first recruiting MW and that OLineman that went to Florida though.

notamot45

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a receiver that came along with Kevin Jones....Lee something or other....if I recall correctly....

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fred Lee? He was a very highly-recruited guy. Jones didn't have a carry-on included in his signing.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Virginia Tech's Scholarship Situation For The 2014 Class - Gobbler Country

So VT is already "over" the scholarship limit with 4 or 5 more players yet to be added to the 2014 class?
Anyone know the details of the Kevin Asante situation?

I count 70ish scholarship guys potentially on the roster for '14 (not counting the seniors on that list). Counting the 16-17 on the board we having coming in for this class, as you said that would put us over 85.

That articles is written based on alot of unknowns. Do they have that many kickers on scholarship?? Those schollies (special teamers) are the ones that would get taken though..worst case scenario (St. Germain, Gresh, etc.). Will Asante be back...doesn't sound like it to me. Don't know the details, but sounds like he "left" the team.

But it never comes to that. There is some doctor up at VT that always figures this out. A couple guys of guys will greyshirt from this incoming class (Edmunds, Payne seem to be possibilities), there will be some attrition (due to early NFL entry, lack of playing time, graduation, etc.). I am sure that if VT wanted to take 5 or 6 more guys, they would make it work. Realistically, there are only about 7-9 targets left that they have a shot at and will continue to pursue...

Last edited by a moderator:

bharm15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Pretty sure Asante is going to be back on the team next year. He didn't leave the team it was the coaches decision

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see one to three juniors leaving as well.

Numbers are always scary the Spring before, but things work out fine.

Yeah, I have never been able to figure out how this guy does it. Between preps, greyshirts, early enrollments, etc. I get confused quick.

Pretty sure Asante is going to be back on the team next year. He didn't leave the team it was the coaches decision

What exactly happened there? Academics? Trouble? I assumed...he was basically kicked off the team or got pissed off and left?