• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

F'n Patriots leave no stone un-turned. LOL.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart!

The New England Patriots have issued a May 9 tender to free-agent running back LeGarrette Blount, according to a league source.

ProFootballTalk.com first reported the news of the tender being issued.

The tender, which is a seldom-used mechanism, means that if Blount remains unsigned past July 22, he can only play for the Patriots during the 2017 season. If he signs before that date with another team, Blount would count toward the 2018 compensatory draft pick formula. The tender carries a value of 110 percent of a player's base salary from the year before, which would amount to $1.1M for Blount.

Patriots protect their interests with rare tender to LeGarrette Blount
The tender to LeGarrette Blount increases the Patriots' chances of earning better compensatory draft picks if he signs elsewhere.

Blount was the only player in the NFL to receive the May 9 tender this year, a source said.

Source: Pats issue rare May 9 tender to Blount

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting....they want to get more comp picks would be my thought.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting....they want to get more comp picks would be my thought.
It makes great sense. BB continues to play chess. Just over $1M when NE still has plenty of cap room. If no one signs him b4 the deadline he's insurance for NE should someone go down. He knows the system and will be well rested. If another team wants him, boom a comp pick. Definitely worth it.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes great sense. BB continues to play chess. Just over $1M when NE still has plenty of cap room. If no one signs him b4 the deadline he's insurance for NE should someone go down. He knows the system and will be well rested. If another team wants him, boom a comp pick. Definitely worth it.

My other thought, with Rex and White signed, could Lewis be on the move?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My other thought, with Rex and White signed, could Lewis be on the move?
I'd hate to see him go. He's like watching a jitterbug. Sure was/is fun watching him. I don't recall NE ever having someone like him? Maybe Woodhead but he was a far 2nd.
Not sure what NE would/could get for him? Roster is pretty solid right now. Future picks possibly. Maybe a 3rd?

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha. No. With his injury history, you'd be lucky to get a conditional Day 3 pick for Lewis.

I understand why BB did this, but kind of a dick move, honestly. LG still has a role here if he wants it, but it's kind of a slap in the face of a guy who helped you win two titles to pay two outside guys a lot more than you paid him and then artificially limit his FA market for a crummy 10% raise.

That said, more than anything this serves as further proof of what a shitacular job the NFLPA does of protecting their constituents' interests.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay....here's exactly what's going on................

Lewis has also signed a new restructured contract per Phil Perry on Boston Sports Tonight.

The reason the Patriots tendered Blount is that the Raven were about to make him a contract offer. If they sign him now, they have to give up a Compensatory Pick. I didn't know how this May 9 tender worked until they explained it on BST. Ozzie Newsome loves compensatory picks more than his wife and to give one up for Blount would kill him. Bill being Bill wanted to make Ozzie eat at least three rolls of TUMS.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay....here's exactly what's going on................

Lewis has also signed a new restructured contract per Phil Perry on Boston Sports Tonight.

The reason the Patriots tendered Blount is that the Raven were about to make him a contract offer. If they sign him now, they have to give up a Compensatory Pick. I didn't know how this May 9 tender worked until they explained it on BST. Ozzie Newsome loves compensatory picks more than his wife and to give one up for Blount would kill him. Bill being Bill wanted to make Ozzie eat at least three rolls of TUMS.

Ravens actually could sign Blount without it costing them a single Comp pick. Most likely he isn't signing a deal that would cause it to cancel out any player. Where things could get tricky is if the Bills were to cut Ducasse then the Ravens could lose their 3rd round gained by Ricky Wagner signing elsewhere. The Ravens can counter that though by cutting Blount before the start of the season. So wouldn't shock me if they still tried to get something done. Also the magic number right now for Blount to even factor in as a Comp pick for the Patriots is $2.25 million. Anything below that and all players are canceled out by higher paid players.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a couple thoughts.....
-BB signed Blount in case a team came looking for a RB during camp due to injury.
-It would also not shock me to see Blount make this team and Bolden the odd man out. I can live with Gill, Blount, White, Lewis. We have 3 pass catchers and 3 RB that can wear a team out.
-Perhaps BB wanted LG on this team and got sick of waiting for him to sign, so he tagged him.

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NWPATSFAN, the Pats did have a clone for Dion Lewis several years ago. He was Mack (Mini Mac) Herron. Herron was a small and very elusive RB who excelled on kickoff returns as well as being a lead runner. As I recall, injuries slowed him down, similar to what Dion Lewis is going through.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NWPATSFAN, the Pats did have a clone for Dion Lewis several years ago. He was Mack (Mini Mac) Herron. Herron was a small and very elusive RB who excelled on kickoff returns as well as being a lead runner. As I recall, injuries slowed him down, similar to what Dion Lewis is going through.
Good work, I had to Google him. I didn't remember him. My point is made we need to look back to the early 70s to find such an entertaining RB. Dillion was our most entertaing ack recently. Total different style but fun to watch.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are going to have to make some tough cuts. I still think Lewis might not start the season.....

"If a player suffers a major injury (one that’s expected to keep him off the field for at least six weeks), he can be placed on injured reserve. In most cases this means the end of a player’s season, but now teams are allowed to designate one (and only one) player per season as injured reserved/designated to return, meaning that player can start practicing six regular season weeks after the IR designation and playing in games after eight weeks."

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Several years ago? Holy cow, Minnie Mack played for the Patriots 40 years ago!

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good work, I had to Google him. I didn't remember him. My point is made we need to look back to the early 70s to find such an entertaining RB. Dillion was our most entertaing ack recently. Total different style but fun to watch.

Dillon was a beast. He didn't do much juking, but he sure did run some folks over.

football-new-england-patriots-corey-dillon-in-action-giving-stiff-arm-picture-id81359588

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see how the RB position shakes out. I think Bolden stays because he excels on special teams. I think Gillislee, White and Burkhead are locks. I doubt Blount will wear a Patriots uniform again, but stranger things have happened. That leaves Lewis, Daniels ( :noidea: ) and Foster fighting for the last spot.

I'd be willing to bet that Develin sticks as the FB and Gronks brother is cut during camp.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see how the RB position shakes out. I think Bolden stays because he excels on special teams. I think Gillislee, White and Burkhead are locks. I doubt Blount will wear a Patriots uniform again, but stranger things have happened. That leaves Lewis, Daniels ( :noidea: ) and Foster fighting for the last spot.

I'd be willing to bet that Develin sticks as the FB and Gronks brother is cut during camp.

I'm trying to think. Do we need Bolden's ST play? We have Coleman (could be replaced by Billings), Ebner, Slater, King, J.Jones, Devlin, I expect Langi to add to that ST and Freeny if he makes this team. That is potentially 7 ST core guys right there. Rex also played ST to. So actually 8 guys right there. Richards if he makes this team....not sure Bolden is worth it. I'd rather have LG or Lewis...I am leaning towards one of those guys being traded.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying to think. Do we need Bolden's ST play? We have Coleman (could be replaced by Billings), Ebner, Slater, King, J.Jones, Devlin, I expect Langi to add to that ST and Freeny if he makes this team. That is potentially 7 ST core guys right there. Rex also played ST to. So actually 8 guys right there. Richards if he makes this team....not sure Bolden is worth it. I'd rather have LG or Lewis...I am leaning towards one of those guys being traded.

I don't know what BB will do, just that he obviously values Bolden's ST play very highly. There is no other explanation for such a mediocre runner taking up a roster spot.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what BB will do, just that he obviously values Bolden's ST play very highly. There is no other explanation for such a mediocre runner taking up a roster spot.
This is the perfect time to release him. NE has a full stable of RBs and plenty of new bodies to play STs. BB please don't waste a spot on Bolden.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the perfect time to release him. NE has a full stable of RBs and plenty of new bodies to play STs. BB please don't waste a spot on Bolden.

Terrible time to release him - why before the cuts? We have some new players that we need to watch play in our system. If we have a better RB that can fill his shoes on ST's, OK then - after we see some work.