• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Florida vs. Wisconsin on ESPN2

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big win for the Badgers! We might not have any true forwards or centers worth a damn, but our guards are freakish rebounders. 16 for Brust and Trae!

Brust could seriously average 7 RPG as a guard. His motor is something else.

Jonny Valtimore

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A nice win for UW against a shorthanded Florida. Both teams should fare very well this year.

That said, if you've seen one Badger ball game, you've seen them all. Bo's teams literally could beat or lose to anyone in the nation any given night with the way they rely on the deep balls and seem to never find a consistent way to score down low.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big win for the Badgers! We might not have any true forwards or centers worth a damn, but our guards are freakish rebounders. 16 for Brust and Trae!

Brust could seriously average 7 RPG as a guard. His motor is something else.

I was impressed w/Nigel Hayes for a True FR. Also like I said for Bo's systems that stretch big is almost if not more important that a bruiser down low.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice win Bucky.
The Gators' team doctor sure earns his pay, doesn't he?
(poor dude was working his ass off tonight.)

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
b10 getting some revenge on the sec in BB season

Toucanbird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of an ugly win, but I'll take it. Need to fix a few things before their games later this month against St. Louis and then @ Virginia to start off December. They've got some rather easy games coming up for the next few weeks, but at least they have the hard ones out of the way for now.

Doctor Krieger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugly, ugly win against a depleted team. Thank god for Ben Brust on the boards.

Oh, and Fuck you Juice!! :lol:

Doctor Krieger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impressive to come back from down 16-4 though. And I feel like just about every Wisconsin win is an ugly one. lol

Yeah, but I think this year we'll play little more uptempo with all of our guards (I hope hahah)

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida is too small to beat any of the great teams. Last night we saw no guards trapping the ball handlers; probably because Wilbekin not there. He's in Billy's dog house and might not get out. He is a senior who has had some problems in the past and IMO, Billy D might just deep-six the guy because of his attitude. The Wisconsin game was no surprise as Billy sat a bunch of players to make a point. Hopefully they will get the message and the team will be better.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Billy was sending a message to his team tonight by not allowing the suspended players back and knew he would take a loss. Watching our ex-team manager out there getting abused on defense was tough to watch... Patrick got caught trying to help on a dozen occasions and the announcers were blaming him but he really had no choice with a weak link out there.

When the two transfers are allowed the play, that should make a huge difference down low. Whether Wilbekin every gets back, who knows.. he is a superstar player and can score but why he continues to be a moron is anyone's guess... reminds me of Jason Williams to be honest with his off the court antics even though he has been handed that level of talent.

Toucanbird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got a question for some Gator fans.

Now, before I get anyone ripping on me and saying Billy Donovan is a great basketball coach, I'm not saying he isn't. However, I get pretty appalled when someone says "we'll probably lose since we have three players suspended. Otherwise, we'd kick the crap out of the Badgers."

I'm sort of a college basketball purist in that it's a game not meant for thugs and idiots. However, it seems like to me Billy Donovan has recruited some garballers (great basketball players, garbage people) the last few years. I don't know, it just seems like a pathetic excuse to use. If you have players that are injured, that's understandable, but I don't think we should have sympathy for you if your players can't behave themselves off-the-court or in the practice gym (since I don't know the exact reasons why they were suspended).

Don't get me wrong either, I do think Donovan is doing a good thing by suspending players for their conduct...it just makes me question why he'd recruit these sort of players if he knows they could be potential headaches down the road. It makes me question at what lengths is he going to in order to try and win? Then again, I'm a believer in recruiting four-year guys with good heads on their shoulders and commit to developing into great players and great people...not these one-and-dones like Calipari at Kentucky or someone that recruits thug players with NBA potential that will likely become NBA busts or CBB failures that end up on the streets after "graduating" (if they even do).

Last edited by a moderator:

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got a question for some Gator fans.

Now, before I get anyone ripping on me and saying Billy Donovan is a great basketball coach, I'm not saying he isn't. However, I get pretty appalled when someone says "we'll probably lose since we have three players suspended. Otherwise, we'd kick the crap out of the Badgers."

I'm sort of a college basketball purist in that it's a game not meant for thugs and idiots. However, it seems like to me Billy Donovan has recruited some garballers (great basketball players, garbage people) the last few years. I don't know, it just seems like a pathetic excuse to use. If you have players that are injured, that's understandable, but I don't think we should have sympathy for you if your players can't behave themselves off-the-court or in the practice gym (since I don't know the exact reasons why they were suspended).

Couple of things... I am not about to read through this thread, but I didn't say anything about IF we had those guys we probably would have won. But at the same time, I wouldn't 'disagree with that statement if someone said it... Wilbekin may have off the court issues... but he is the "Trey Burke" of our team... so not just running the offense, but he is a shut-down defender and one of our scorers... that doesn't even get into the other 2 we were missing, one of which is a stater who scores and one who is a backfill for Young who didn't have a great night.

Regarding Billy recruiting thugs... I can see how you would think that if you look short-term, but since Billy has been at Florida he hasn't had very many... and has shown a zero tolerance policy. Trust me, most coaches would have sat them for one game against a cupcake and let them play last night Wisky... because they are more concerned with winning than building character (e.g. Calipari). If you look at the history of Florida basketball under Donovan, most of his players have been solid character.... even if you don't like players like Noah, Horford, Beal, etc. they were all very smart non-thug type athletes. The last thug of note I can think of was another point guard by the name of Jason Williams... who left the team after the 2nd or 3rd time he was suspended and although he was 100% thug, he went on to make a name for himself in the NBA and really didn't cause too much trouble after that...

I am not a fan of Calipari and what he is doing at Kentucky... but even though they lost last night as well, that is one dangerous team. They played horrible in the 1st half and those kids will keep getting better as the season progresses... so if they keep getting better, no doubt they will be #1 by season end. Sure, they may stumble at times based on immaturity... but they are scary. And I HATE Kentucky... but even I can admit that.

Toucanbird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple of things... I am not about to read through this thread, but I didn't say anything about IF we had those guys we probably would have won. But at the same time, I wouldn't 'disagree with that statement if someone said it... Wilbekin may have off the court issues... but he is the "Trey Burke" of our team... so not just running the offense, but he is a shut-down defender and one of our scorers... that doesn't even get into the other 2 we were missing, one of which is a stater who scores and one who is a backfill for Young who didn't have a great night.

Regarding Billy recruiting thugs... I can see how you would think that if you look short-term, but since Billy has been at Florida he hasn't had very many... and has shown a zero tolerance policy. Trust me, most coaches would have sat them for one game against a cupcake and let them play last night Wisky... because they are more concerned with winning than building character (e.g. Calipari). If you look at the history of Florida basketball under Donovan, most of his players have been solid character.... even if you don't like players like Noah, Horford, Beal, etc. they were all very smart non-thug type athletes. The last thug of note I can think of was another point guard by the name of Jason Williams... who left the team after the 2nd or 3rd time he was suspended and although he was 100% thug, he went on to make a name for himself in the NBA and really didn't cause too much trouble after that...

I am not a fan of Calipari and what he is doing at Kentucky... but even though they lost last night as well, that is one dangerous team. They played horrible in the 1st half and those kids will keep getting better as the season progresses... so if they keep getting better, no doubt they will be #1 by season end. Sure, they may stumble at times based on immaturity... but they are scary. And I HATE Kentucky... but even I can admit that.

I'm not saying you were saying this or even really anyone on this particular forum. I saw an awful lot of that sort of posting on the ESPN discussions (which I shouldn't take too seriously anyway since it's full of trolls and idiots...hell, it's part of the reason why I joined this forum...feels like my IQ is dropping just reading those idiots posting). I just hate that sort of talk because it mostly gives your program a bad name.

Like I said in my original post, it just seems to have been a problem lately and not-so-much Donovan's tenure at Florida. I don't hate Florida's program or anything and if nothing else, I had a lot of admiration for their NC teams with guys like Noah and Horford.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you dont know what your talking about. just because donovan suspended these players doesnt mean they are thugs. and for someone who freely admits he doesnt know to make blanket statements like that is just dumb. billy suspended them for violation of team rules and if needs to sit them down for a teaching lesson then so be it. but until you see them in the police blotter your speculation on their character is just that.

Toucanbird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you dont know what your talking about. just because donovan suspended these players doesnt mean they are thugs. and for someone who freely admits he doesnt know to make blanket statements like that is just dumb. billy suspended them for violation of team rules and if needs to sit them down for a teaching lesson then so be it. but until you see them in the police blotter your speculation on their character is just that.

Gee, thanks asshole. That was the whole reason why I even asked you Florida fans in the first place. I could've just made that "blanket statement" outright without even asking, but that's why I asked you Florida guys about that in the first place. There are rumors floating about on the Internet about those guys and this is your opportunity to clear the air about it. This is the second year in a row that I am aware of Florida players being suspended for undisclosed reasons or violations of the team rules. Last year, Wilbekin was suspended so I'd have to question why he'd still be with the program considering he's suspended again with two other players this time. It's pretty easy to question Wilbekin's character considering this is the second year in a row he's been suspended.

Honestly, I rarely see this happen at Wisconsin. I rarely see players get suspended for violation of team and the few that do seem to be out the door faster than let's say Penn State's NCAA tournament chances. I was more or less curious as to what you had to say in regards to what has been going on with all these players being suspended lately, because I don't particularly remember it being so much of a problem in the past at Florida. Then again, it's not like I pay attention to Gator basketball religiously or aware of all the players that have been suspended or kicked off the team the last 10 years or so.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tabasco is correct, though. Players that think they are above standard procedure get benched at UF. He's a great coach because he's enforcing a mentality that no player gets special treatment because of their talent or whatever.
A win or loss against UW means nothing - getting the team to gel properly for the big dance is everything. So, just enjoy the win against our scrubs because Donovan will have all their attitudes adjusted nicely by March.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bo really needs at least one banger in the paint, and I don't think there's any coming up the ranks. But these guys can score, for sure.