• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flat at the plate and falling in the standings, the Rangers fly to Anaheim for a weekend set

BULLPEN FAILURE

Headed to a more competent location
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp, our beloved Rangers are now 5 games back, having lost 3 games in 3 days. Obviously CLE is playing baseball no one has never seen, while MIN and NYY are taking care of business.

The Rangers magic number sits at 12 going into this weekend. Obviously this team is not equipped to handle postseason play, but as long as they're mathematically in the race, I'm going to promote it.

Late games Friday and Saturday, afternoon game on Sunday. As always, lets go Rangers!

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp, our beloved Rangers are now 5 games back, having lost 3 games in 3 days. Obviously CLE is playing baseball no one has never seen, while MIN and NYY are taking care of business.

The Rangers magic number sits at 12 going into this weekend. Obviously this team is not equipped to handle postseason play, but as long as they're mathematically in the race, I'm going to promote it.

Late games Friday and Saturday, afternoon game on Sunday. As always, lets go Rangers!
I'm with ya. Why would anyone not support it? Whats to lose? Always fun to win. Take our lumps and look forward to 2018. Next year is all that counts at this point.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with ya. Why would anyone not support it? Whats to lose? Always fun to win. Take our lumps and look forward to 2018. Next year is all that counts at this point.
I agree with you but if we don't overhaul the pitching both starting and relief 2018 will not be any better

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the only way this team ever gets to another WS is if the front office decides it needs to be a lot better. Had the Rangers won the second wildcard berth it would have only delayed that process. Thinking you are going to win it all by barely winning the second wildcard berth is like chasing after fool's gold.

This team needs better pitching to go deep into a postseason. I think we have to trade away pieces to acquire more AA and AAA level pitching. Of course, I thought that a few weeks ago at the deadline too and it was evident that the front office decided to chase after fool's gold instead. Acquire the upper level pitching. Let it mature in 2018 and be ready to compete again in 2019.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need a sweep this weekend and some Twinkie losses.

Tall order for sure

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the only way this team ever gets to another WS is if the front office decides it needs to be a lot better. Had the Rangers won the second wildcard berth it would have only delayed that process. Thinking you are going to win it all by barely winning the second wildcard berth is like chasing after fool's gold.

This team needs better pitching to go deep into a postseason. I think we have to trade away pieces to acquire more AA and AAA level pitching. Of course, I thought that a few weeks ago at the deadline too and it was evident that the front office decided to chase after fool's gold instead. Acquire the upper level pitching. Let it mature in 2018 and be ready to compete again in 2019.
I never did know who we had to trade bside Darvish that would help us out in pitching. Gallo maybe but he is off limit. Gomez Nap Choo is not going to do much.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never did know who we had to trade bside Darvish that would help us out in pitching. Gallo maybe but he is off limit. Gomez Nap Choo is not going to do much.
Gomez and Choo both could have gotten us something in return as long as we were willing to continue paying a portion of Choo's salary. Hamels could have netted a sizable return. Cashner could have brought back a good return from a team needing quality pitching. The return for Napoli would have been minimal, but it would have been better than not getting anything from him.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the only way this team ever gets to another WS is if the front office decides it needs to be a lot better.

Wow, there's loads to unpack here. Let's start with your first sentence.

First of all, as I've mentioned many times before, there is a difference between moves not working out and not making moves. I agree that not all of their moves have worked out, with a few even being questionable, but there's never been a doubt in my mind that the front office is doing what it can to improve the team.

It's important to remember that the front office has tons of things to consider when constructing a team. They're always having to look at the future as well as the present, and how one impacts the other.

Had the Rangers won the second wildcard berth it would have only delayed that process. Thinking you are going to win it all by barely winning the second wildcard berth is like chasing after fool's gold.

Do you honestly believe it was the intent of the front office to put together a team that had the goal of "barely winning the second wildcard berth?" Because let me assure you, it wasn't. The intent, from the outset, was to win the division first and then take October on. Winning the wild card was Plan B, forced into necessity by the massive amount of performances that trended downward and the smattering of injuries.

This team needs better pitching to go deep into a postseason.

The front office is well aware of that. There are also 29 other teams aware of that.

I think we have to trade away pieces to acquire more AA and AAA level pitching.

MLB isn't Burger King. You don't just get to place an order and get it your way. Trades are complex mechanisms, and it's JD's job to make sure the deals make sense for the club now AND in the future.

Of course, I thought that a few weeks ago at the deadline too and it was evident that the front office decided to chase after fool's gold instead.

What in the world are you talking about? What "fool's gold?" Gonzalez? They were dumping Tyson Ross and needed a replacement. There's not a thing wrong with the deal they made for Gonzalez.

Acquire the upper level pitching. Let it mature in 2018 and be ready to compete again in 2019.

Sure hope that works out.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gomez and Choo both could have gotten us something in return as long as we were willing to continue paying a portion of Choo's salary. Hamels could have netted a sizable return. Cashner could have brought back a good return from a team needing quality pitching. The return for Napoli would have been minimal, but it would have been better than not getting anything from him.
Unless you're throwing in the towel next year we will need Hamels and Cashner and we don't know that deals were made and never worked out. JD hasn't and never will tell all.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you but if we don't overhaul the pitching both starting and relief 2018 will not be any better
What do you suggest that JD should do to accomplish this.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, there's loads to unpack here. Let's start with your first sentence.

First of all, as I've mentioned many times before, there is a difference between moves not working out and not making moves. I agree that not all of their moves have worked out, with a few even being questionable, but there's never been a doubt in my mind that the front office is doing what it can to improve the team.

It's important to remember that the front office has tons of things to consider when constructing a team. They're always having to look at the future as well as the present, and how one impacts the other.

Do you honestly believe it was the intent of the front office to put together a team that had the goal of "barely winning the second wildcard berth?" Because let me assure you, it wasn't. The intent, from the outset, was to win the division first and then take October on. Winning the wild card was Plan B, forced into necessity by the massive amount of performances that trended downward and the smattering of injuries.

The front office is well aware of that. There are also 29 other teams aware of that.

MLB isn't Burger King. You don't just get to place an order and get it your way. Trades are complex mechanisms, and it's JD's job to make sure the deals make sense for the club now AND in the future.

What in the world are you talking about? What "fool's gold?" Gonzalez? They were dumping Tyson Ross and needed a replacement. There's not a thing wrong with the deal they made for Gonzalez.

Sure hope that works out.
Don't have time to address everything right now, but here are a couple of points.

Fool's gold is the idea of thinking that you just get into the postseason via the wildcard and anything can happen. That has been done, but usually the team doing it was a good team and just finished behind a team who had a good record. In this current era I am not sure how many second wildcards who will struggle to finish very much above .500 have had postseason success. Thinking that you can win win the second wildcard berth and then get lucky for a month is chasing fool's gold.

Whether winning a wildcard berth was the front office's intent to start the season or not is irrelevant. That was the situation at the deadline. The deadline is when the decision was made to chase after fool's gold.

Yes, I understand as well as you do what all is involved in making decisions. You don't have to be so condescending.

I am not sold on the idea that the team is trying to put together the best team in baseball, but they do hope to finish on top of everyone else. They do have a goal of trying to win it all. I just question how they are going about it.

I don't care how many other teams are aware of needing pitching. The ones who get it done will win more often than not. No one said it would be easy. Rebuilding/retooling isn't easy to swallow for the organization, but it is doable and it is necessary. It is not as hard as you seem to be intimating that it is.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless you're throwing in the towel next year we will need Hamels and Cashner and we don't know that deals were made and never worked out. JD hasn't and never will tell all.
I think next year should be a rebuilding year.

Cashner is gone after the season is over anyway. We can sign him in the offseason, but trading him in July would have not affected that.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When a plan is suggested it sometimes rubs some people the wrong way.

To me it is all baseball talk. I enjoy all of it.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When a plan is suggested it sometimes rubs some people the wrong way.

To me it is all baseball talk. I enjoy all of it.
We all know we need pitching. He made a statement without offering a plan.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well to start: 1) stop the medical rehab signings, 2) get otani, 3) sign at least 1 more quality starter, 4) sign at least 2 quality relievers (1 left/1 right). Yes it means spending but if we don't we could see another .500 or worse 2018 season. We can not compete with the Houston's, Cleveland's, Boston', New York's, etc with what we have now or in our minors. Hell we can't even compete with the second tier American League teams

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't believe Cashner will be with us next season.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know we need pitching. He made a statement without offering a plan.
no i stated the obvious of what we need to do to get better. JD is the one who needs to make those calls.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't have time to address everything right now, but here are a couple of points.

Fool's gold is the idea of thinking that you just get into the postseason via the wildcard and anything can happen. That has been done, but usually the team doing it was a good team and just finished behind a team who had a good record. In this current era I am not sure how many second wildcards who will struggle to finish very much above .500 have had postseason success. Thinking that you can win win the second wildcard berth and then get lucky for a month is chasing fool's gold.

Whether winning a wildcard berth was the front office's intent to start the season or not is irrelevant. That was the situation at the deadline. The deadline is when the decision was made to chase after fool's gold.

Yes, I understand as well as you do what all is involved in making decisions. You don't have to be so condescending.

I am not sold on the idea that the team is trying to put together the best team in baseball, but they do hope to finish on top of everyone else. They do have a goal of trying to win it all. I just question how they are going about it.

I don't care how many other teams are aware of needing pitching. The ones who get it done will win more often than not. No one said it would be easy. Rebuilding/retooling isn't easy to swallow for the organization, but it is doable and it is necessary. It is not as hard as you seem to be intimating that it is.

All of these words is why I was condescending.