• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fixes that need to be made after the loss

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of course is the QB, Finley simply can not do it, he doesn't have the ability to be a college QB. The impression I get so far is he is a guy who will impress in practice but as soon as you get into the game he loses it.

Finley can't hit the deep ball whatsoever, he underthrows it most of the time which of course leads to the costly picks he threw last night. His problem goes well beyond that though, he has absolutely no ability to scramble in the pocket and make a throw, just none. As soon as any sort of pass rush from the opposing team makes an appearance Finley just panics puts his head down and runs, never even looks downfield, sometimes QBs will never be able to overcome that issue, they just naturally do it, it's unfortunate but it happens.

Next the offensive line, at least we knew we had a concern at QB, but the offensive line has been the biggest disappointment on the team so far, they have been overrun at times, and were responsible for a ridiculous amount of drive killing penalties last year, if it weren't for all those false starts and holding penalties by them we would have put BYU away and not have to worry about their amazing hail mary abilities, I mean yes some of the sacks and penalties come from the fact that our QB can't handle the pocket, but sometimes they aren't even opening running lanes from what is a talented group of running backs, they have a lot of experience they should be better than this.

Finally our secondary needs to be more disciplined, we can't keep blowing coverages like that, now they at least had some excellent plays to make up for it, but the bad ones are really concerning as they all led to points for the other team.

Our special teams were better on kick coverage this week, I still don't trust our kicking game, and we don't get anything on kick returns so far.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also is it me or does it seem like the play calling gets worse in the second half?

I mean it's obvious that it's terrible in the 4th quarter, we don't even have a first down in the 4th quarter yet.

It seems we cling on to one aspect of the offense and run that the most, against Washington we stubbornly stuck to the run and against BYU we stubbornly stuck to the pass.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drinkwitz is taking a lot of responsibility for it saying he needs to do a better job calling plays

which does allude to what I said about our second half playcalling

Looks like we're sticking with Finley

pitman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the nature of the game helped the coaches make a QB change, we'll see this week how it works out. Rypien is the QB of the future for sure, not sure why we were waisting time with Finley, I would like to see a small package put in the offense for Stuart, Kinda like we did with Hedrick when he was the back-up for Southwick. That would keep him active and have duel threat look every so often.

I liked what I saw from the other youngsters, and think we need to get them playing time every chance we get. The younger Young #10 was very impressive.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the nature of the game helped the coaches make a QB change, we'll see this week how it works out. Rypien is the QB of the future for sure, not sure why we were waisting time with Finley, I would like to see a small package put in the offense for Stuart, Kinda like we did with Hedrick when he was the back-up for Southwick. That would keep him active and have duel threat look every so often.

I liked what I saw from the other youngsters, and think we need to get them playing time every chance we get. The younger Young #10 was very impressive.

We had some great freshmen play that is for sure

we need to rotate some of those guys in to have a more fresh roster in the 4th quarter.

I could see us using Stuart down in the redzone, to make it more difficult to defend