• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Five Preseason Games is RIDICULOUS

RonBorges

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a result of being chosen to play in the Hall of Fame Game, the Dolphins and Cowboys will play FIVE preseason games each. Neither the fans, nor the players want five preseason games (most want TWO).

The greedy owners are to blame.

Instead, the HOF Game be included in the 4 preseason game for each team. 1 team is on the road, so there is no loss of revenue. The team that gives up the home game could be easily compensated by the NFL, and for many teams that do not draw fans to their home preseason games, they should gladly give up a home game for NFL compensation.

This is so simple to fix. What am I missing?

Do they fear setting a precedent that is perfectly reasonable to play only one preseason home game?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make a good point, and it will more than likely change. But I think you are missing the point of what preseason football is all about. The preseason is about getting playing time for position depth to see how players react to the NFL. The starters shouldn't even be in there at all IMO. That's just a waste of time for coaches unless a team is building new chemistry, and it really only serves as an anecdote to appease fans. But for those players that are battling for roster positions (i.e. the #3 or #4 guys on depth charts), it gives them a chance to prove themselves to coaches. IMO, a coaching staff could really take advantage of an extra preseason game to develop depth. Of course there's pros and cons to it!

BloodType49

FT Bragg NC, aka the center of the universe.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just sit all the starters /backups and let the camp fodder/third stringers play it out, great way to evaluate your depth, but I do agree the HOF game should count as 1 of those teams pre season games.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should count like any other preseason game.

The preseason is vital, though. Two wouldn't come near cutting it.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a glorified scrimage. I think it can only help both teams progress through training camp faster.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that only 2 teams get 5 preseason games is no big deal but if it was like that league wide then thats a little excessive. I am a huge believer in Preseason and never think they should cut it down to 2 games. They need the 4 games to get ready for the regular season. I dont want to see them only play 2 games to get ready and then the first 2-4 weeks of the season look pathetic because their wasnt enough practice. Yes with 4 preseason games teams are still adjusting during the early weeks of the regular season but it would be much worse with less preseason games.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just sit all the starters /backups and let the camp fodder/third stringers play it out, great way to evaluate your depth, but I do agree the HOF game should count as 1 of those teams pre season games.

i think this is one of the better suggestions. i mean let your 1st and second stringer get some play time, but just enough to knock off the "ring rust", so to speak. hell, imo the preseason should just be a couple of games anyways. most of the guys who know they're gonna start prefer NOT to play in 'em...

Am I Blue Through it All?

Herald of the Apocalypse
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of a mixed bag really. A young team like the Colts with so many possibilities of who will play in the regular season (especially on defense) probably needs game like conditions to evaluate who will be first and second string.

Is 5 games excessive? You betcha.