• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FIRE HORNACEK...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree with you wholeheartedly, so, what comes to your mind when i bring up a coach like popovich, he ain't from the '60's

Popovich is great and has earned the type of reputation that all players will respect him.

But, what comes first, the chicken or the egg?

Pop proved himself with Tim Duncan and David Robinson as his best players. They are arguably the two most humble, unselfish and coachable superstars to play in the last 30 years.

If Pop's first job had been with a guy like Melo, he would have won some games, but I bet his results would not have been much different from George Karl's.

Pop's reputation was built through repeated success, that was earned by coaching selfless players. Yes, Pop today would have a better chance to gain headway with the current Knicks, but they still wouldn't not win more than 50-55 games or make it past the second round of the playoffs.

But also, nobody like Pop would even consider agreeing to coach the Knicks because the organizational structure is so terrible. Steve Kerr was once considered a shoe in for the Knicks job 3 years ago. He obviously made another choice. Since he has won a title and a COY award. Had he taken the Knicks job, he would have been fired by now.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Popovich is great and has earned the type of reputation that all players will respect him.

Pop proved himself with Tim Duncan and David Robinson as his best players. They are arguably the two most humble, unselfish and coachable superstars to play in the last 30 years.

If Pop's first job had been with a guy like Melo, he would have won some games, but I bet his results would not have been much different from George Karl's.

Pop's reputation was built through repeated success, that was earned by coaching selfless players. Yes, Pop today would have a better chance to gain headway with the current Knicks, but they still wouldn't not win more than 50-55 games or make it past the second round of the playoffs.

But also, nobody like Pop would even consider agreeing to coach the Knicks because the organizational structure is so terrible. Steve Kerr was once considered a shoe in for the Knicks job 3 years ago. He obviously made another choice. Since he has won a title and a COY award. Had he taken the Knicks job, he would have been fired by now.

^^^This^^^

Pop is a great coach. But a lot of his respect and reputation is built on being in the right place, at the right time, with the right players.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^This^^^

Pop is a great coach. But a lot of his respect and reputation is built on being in the right place, at the right time, with the right players.

In sports, you can say this about most coaches. But the really successful ones deserve some credit too. Would Isaiah Thomas have had the same run in San Antonio, with the same players? I'm sure they would have had success but I doubt nearly as much.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what the , lol, ummmmmm hello? bumped? what? who? will you taste the soup!!!! got dammit!!!

anyway, none of this happens if you have a coach who disciplines his players, who demands respect from his players, and don't give me the "level" crap, these guys need to have their butts put in its proper place place! .... " white shadow"
Kill this thread!

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In sports, you can say this about most coaches. But the really successful ones deserve some credit too. Would Isaiah Thomas have had the same run in San Antonio, with the same players? I'm sure they would have had success but I doubt nearly as much.

Of course not.

There are great coaches and bad coaches, but most fall in the middle. Regardless of how "good" a coach is, it will never work without player buy in. Popovich never played in the league, and there are many players who probably would not have given him a legit chance before he earned his reputation.

Also, Pop's coaching skills have improved with experience. Situation matters a lot.

Rick Carlisle is a good example of that. Most insiders view him as a top 10, perhaps even top 5 coach and the Mavericks are a good organization, but they they still can't win because they don't have players.

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you had me, you lost me.. melo won a championship at cuse, so how can you say he wouldn't have won 1 in NBA right coach?

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts on the game tonight @Pastafazul

told u i cant watch, as i channel surfed, i saw knicks up 10 early, then i heard they had a 17 pt lead, did tune in to tune right out at 62 a piece, while all along i knew they were playing philly, PHILLY!!!!!!! haha knicks suck.. did they lose it???? hahaha i bet they did by your post!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. I was just pointing out that a lot of success in sports is simply about timing. Pop is a great coach, but he also was in the right place at the right time. If he ended up coaching a roster like the current Knicks as his first job, while they would be better than without him, it's unlikely that he would have anything very close to the sustained run of success he's had in San Antonio.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you had me, you lost me.. melo won a championship at cuse, so how can you say he wouldn't have won 1 in NBA right coach?

Really?

Melo played 1 year at Syracuse and the team made the tournament as a 4 seed, then got hot and ran the table. Winning a college championship proves absolutely nothing. Especially in the one and done world of March Madness.

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?

Melo played 1 year at Syracuse and the team made the tournament as a 4 seed, then got hot and ran the table. Winning a college championship proves absolutely nothing. Especially in the one and done world of March Madness.

What he is is a proven winner! with the right support , right coach, he could absolutely win in the NBA.. he is one of the best scorers in this league, and he could slap the D down when he has too. The org., the coach have no clue how to win. He should have never come here, his wife helped ruin his rep!

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree wholeheartedly dolan is the prime suspect here... f him too
it definitely starts with ownership and the GM......Dolan is among the worst in the league without question, and I am not sure why anyone thought Phil would be a great GM....As far as i can tell he has made 1move that i have liked- drafting Porzingis- which was big admittedly- Courtney Lee has actually played pretty good ball as well- he could really help a lot of teams.

If this team actually went into sell mode their would be some assets....its hard to go into sell mode though when you just gave Joakin Noah a 4 year contract and Carmelo has a no-trade clause and Phil was no plan to rebuild what-so-ever.

Carmelo could bring back a haul if you could figure a team to trade him too that would give you assets back

Who do you guys think would be a possible landing place for Carmelo?

Miami fans- would you have any interest in Carmelo?

It would have to be the right place obviously for him to waive his no trade clause.

Lee would have some value- I even think Jennings would have some minor value even- teams are looking for PG's.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it definitely starts with ownership and the GM......Dolan is among the worst in the league without question, and I am not sure why anyone thought Phil would be a great GM....As far as i can tell he has made 1move that i have liked- drafting Porzingis- which was big admittedly- Courtney Lee has actually played pretty good ball as well- he could really help a lot of teams.

If this team actually went into sell mode their would be some assets....its hard to go into sell mode though when you just gave Joakin Noah a 4 year contract and Carmelo has a no-trade clause and Phil was no plan to rebuild what-so-ever.

Carmelo could bring back a haul if you could figure a team to trade him too that would give you assets back

Who do you guys think would be a possible landing place for Carmelo?

Miami fans- would you have any interest in Carmelo?

It would have to be the right place obviously for him to waive his no trade clause.

Lee would have some value- I even think Jennings would have some minor value even- teams are looking for PG's.

No. I'll pass on the soon to be 33 year old Carmelo Anthony

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as long as dolan owns, we lose, lebron could come here, and we'd still lose...

as far as melo, he goes where la la tells him to go

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What he is is a proven winner! with the right support , right coach, he could absolutely win in the NBA.. he is one of the best scorers in this league, and he could slap the D down when he has too. The org., the coach have no clue how to win. He should have never come here, his wife helped ruin his rep!

Quite the opposite actually.

It is one thing to win in college when you are the most talented player on the floor every night. Auote another in the NBA. Also, as talented as Melo was, Gerry McNamara was the leader of that team. Not Melo.

Saying Melo is a proven winner is proposterous. He is a lot closer to being a proven loser.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite the opposite actually.

It is one thing to win in college when you are the most talented player on the floor every night. Auote another in the NBA. Also, as talented as Melo was, Gerry McNamara was the leader of that team. Not Melo.

Saying Melo is a proven winner is proposterous. He is a lot closer to being a proven loser.

George Karl was very clear about his opinion of Melo. He said Melo cared about his scoring average -- but not being a team player or playing any defense. Remember those Denver teams were pretty good.

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, maybe its time to kill the thread, cause y'all r getting silly!

FIRE HORNYSUK

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giving up 108 pts a game, ain't gonna win many you moron hornysuk!

get rid of this clown, "DEFENSE" wins games, "BOXING OUT" creates less opportunity for your opponent to score. COMMUNICATION, allows for good chemistry, BALL MOVEMENT, opens up the court, makes your opponent work harder.... F its a players game, players r STUPID!!!