• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fire Brian Kelly

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is it possible he will really be kept until the '21 season? i have already gone thru this crap for 5 years with the white sox and THEIR idiot manager robin ventura. now i have to suffer another clown who does NOT learn from his mistakes?
i'm already only about 1/4 the nd fan i used to be. very soon i will not care at all. i know this because even in today's game i watched just into the 2nd quarter and nd leading 17-7 ..... and i left anyway to do something that could have waited but i didn't much care. got back about half hour ago to find they lost this one too. i don't even care how. i just assume it was somehow kelly's fault. why be loyal to a school that would keep this loser around? i don't owe nd anything. apparently they feel the same.

rambling over ......
At least with Ventura he's a legacy to the organization. What's Kelly's allegiance to ND? What traditions of the program does he uphold? Would he have them play above themselves next week because they're our rival? Or is it just another opportunity to keep it close?

Consider this. John Cooper had more success at Ohio St. than Kelly had at ND. Yet he was essentially fired for his inability to beat Michigan. Rivalry games matter. But Kelly's attitude has always been, it's just another game.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
criticizing is the easiest thing in the world.

they are losing a lot of close games. Kelly has more wins than any other active coach in NCAA Division I. he took him to the fiesta bowl last year. i doubt they want to go back to the charlie weiss years.
Look outside of last year. He's averaged basically 8-5 seasons his tenure here. In that regard he's maybe 1 game per year average better than Weis.

Considering their recruiting class rankings both Weis and Kelly severely underperformed.

Also, a loss next week and he'll have the most career losses of any ND coach (tied with Holtz, who also won many more games, coached 3 more seasons than Kelly and had ND regularly in the NC discussion even winning one). He's slightly better than Weis now. Should ND wait until he continues his regression to that point? It's year7. Coaches don't regress this much this far in their tenure and come back.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look outside of last year. He's averaged basically 8-5 seasons his tenure here. In that regard he's maybe 1 game per year average better than Weis.

Considering their recruiting class rankings both Weis and Kelly severely underperformed.

Also, a loss next week and he'll have the most career losses of any ND coach (tied with Holtz, who also won many more games, coached 3 more seasons than Kelly and had ND regularly in the NC discussion even winning one). He's slightly better than Weis now. Should ND wait until he continues his regression to that point? It's year7. Coaches don't regress this much this far in their tenure and come back.

charlie weiss was handed very good teams at nd from the beginning, with quinn, Samardzija, fasano, etc, then had 3 consecutive bad years after that. weiss had no head coaching experience, nor has he been a head coach since. kelly brought nd back from the weiss years. notre dame lost a lot of players due to graduation last year, have a difficult schedule, and are losing a lot of close game. kelly has a proven track record and is the winningest active coach in the ncaa. firing kelly because of a bad season would be an over reaction. recruiting class rankings really don't mean squat.

the academics standards are very difficult at nd, making it unlikely nd will ever return to being the perennial powerhouse they were of the 60's, 70's, or the holtz years. in this day and age those zebras don't do a religious school like nd any favors either.

gotta give kelly another year or two.

Last edited:

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
charlie weiss was handed very good teams at nd from the beginning, with quinn, Samardzija, fasano, etc, then had 3 consecutive bad years after that. weiss had no head coaching experience, nor has he been a head coach since. kelly brought nd back from the weiss years. notre dame lost a lot of players due to graduation last year, have a difficult schedule, and are losing a lot of close game. kelly has a proven track record and is the winningest active coach in the ncaa. firing kelly because of a bad season would be an over reaction. recruiting class rankings really don't mean squat.

the academics standards are very difficult at nd, making it unlikely nd will ever return to being the perennial powerhouse they were of the 60's, 70's, or the holtz years. in this day and age those zebras don't do a religious school like nd any favors either.

gotta give kelly another year or two.
Well. Where to begin. First, outside of a few talented offensive players Willingham left the cupboard bare. Willingham was a piss poor recruiter. That's why the bottom fell out of the team in 2007. It's also why when they ran up against a team with a pulse they'd get boat raced. Weis spent all his Tom coaching scheme and little to no fundamentals. His teams were notoriously soft and always faded in Nov. Weis left Kelly with way more talent than he inherited.

Second Weis was the head coach at Kansas and accomplished nothing there.

Yes they lost a lot of players but by year 7 a coach at a program like ND should be reloading. Youth and inexperience is no excuse. Look how many players Ohio St. put in the NFL last year. They haven't really missed a beat.

Our schedule this year is not tough. It's ranked 51st in Sagran which is historically low for us. This was a common merely because wasted season between the level of talent and the level of competition. Of our 7 losses 4 of those teams have losing records. Also a first for the program.

Finally, regarding academic standards. #1. Doesn't seem to slow Stanford down. #2. If anything Kelly has gotten way more leniency in terms of both admissions standards and du lac punishments than his predecessors. So this is a weak excuse.

aNDy Callahan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rat,

If you were a fan of The Irish you would know that we see the same shit over and over. Kelly will always be Kelly because he is either too fucking stubborn or too fucking stupid or too fucking arrogant to change.

Kelly has the most wins of all active coaches. He has been extremely successful, but he has risen to a level where he is now incompetent. His career win percentage will keep dropping. I don't think he can handle the pressure that comes with the job at ND. He has not been a great coach at Notre Dame. Like Notre Dame, Stanford has high academic standards for student athletes. Kelly has consistently recruited better than Shaw. Shaw has 3 more wins as HC of Stanford (6 years) than Kelly in 7 years coaching at ND. Shaw 62-17, Kelly 59-30. Shaw has won 3 of 4 PAC12 Championships. Shaw coached his way to victories in 2 out of 3 Rose Bowls. Shaw has a much better record than Kelly against ranked opponents. Shaw has been able to thrive within a framework of high academic standards.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well. Where to begin. First, outside of a few talented offensive players Willingham left the cupboard bare. Willingham was a piss poor recruiter. That's why the bottom fell out of the team in 2007. It's also why when they ran up against a team with a pulse they'd get boat raced. Weis spent all his Tom coaching scheme and little to no fundamentals. His teams were notoriously soft and always faded in Nov. Weis left Kelly with way more talent than he inherited.

Second Weis was the head coach at Kansas and accomplished nothing there.

Yes they lost a lot of players but by year 7 a coach at a program like ND should be reloading. Youth and inexperience is no excuse. Look how many players Ohio St. put in the NFL last year. They haven't really missed a beat.

Our schedule this year is not tough. It's ranked 51st in Sagran which is historically low for us. This was a common merely because wasted season between the level of talent and the level of competition. Of our 7 losses 4 of those teams have losing records. Also a first for the program.

Finally, regarding academic standards. #1. Doesn't seem to slow Stanford down. #2. If anything Kelly has gotten way more leniency in terms of both admissions standards and du lac punishments than his predecessors. So this is a weak excuse.

stanford has had a good run recently, and are the exception, not the norm. they have typically been mediocre. bill walsh was only 34-24-1, jim harbaugh only 29-21. and not only is nd academically for difficult, its religious. as well.

at the seasons beginning kelly had around a .700 winning percentage. going back to the 1940's and 14 coaches, only holtz, parseghian, and devine have better records.

regarding strength of schedule rankings, they vary from analyst to analyst, and are based on a variety of factors, and should be taken with a grain of salt. its widely accepted notre dame has a difficult schedule.

ranked 4 here.

Ranking College Football's Top 25 Toughest Schedules for 2016

Last edited:

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
stanford has had a good run recently, and are the exception, not the norm. they have typically been mediocre. bill walsh was only 34-24-1, jim harbaugh only 29-21. and not only is nd academically for difficult, its religious. as well.

at the seasons beginning kelly had around a .700 winning percentage. going back to the 1940's and 14 coaches, only holtz, parseghian, and devine have better records.

regarding strength of schedule rankings, they vary from analyst to analyst, and are based on a variety of factors, and should be taken with a grain of salt. its widely accepted notre dame has a difficult schedule.

ranked 4 here.

4th most difficult schedule? I wouldn't have thought that at the beginning of the year and certainly not now.

Oh. Frank Lehey's winning percentage crushes everyone's. We've not had 14 coaches since Leahy.

Since Rockne there are 5 coaches with at least one full season at the helm (I'm not counting O'Leary or any interim coaches) with a better WP than Kelly. Elmer Layden, Lehey, McKeever, Parsegian, Devine and Holtz.

Brian Kelly is middle of the road mediocre and that's his ceiling.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ranked 4 here.

you still don't get it. i DON'T CARE what his history is. casey stengle was a great baseball coach ... for a long time ... and then he wasn't! call it age, lack of motivation, whatever you want, kelly is NOT a good coach. not for a team like notre dame. he gets good recruits! among the best! he's a good recruiter! his problem is he doesn't know how to USE them! he has ALWAYS under performed with those same recruits.
he's long past due to GO! you can worship his past all day long .... but it doesn't matter. he cannot COACH!

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point is Kelly may have brought the team back from the brink, and instituted some tools for success i.e. Training table, but it's time for an upgrade if ND is to take the next step. We've seen Kelly's ceiling. It's only downhill from here.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you still don't get it. i DON'T CARE what his history is. casey stengle was a great baseball coach ... for a long time ... and then he wasn't! call it age, lack of motivation, whatever you want, kelly is NOT a good coach. not for a team like notre dame. he gets good recruits! among the best! he's a good recruiter! his problem is he doesn't know how to USE them! he has ALWAYS under performed with those same recruits.
he's long past due to GO! you can worship his past all day long .... but it doesn't matter. he cannot COACH!
In fairness to Stengel not even God could have coached the '62 Mets.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
his career winning percentage says otherwise.

as far as his recruits go, do you see notre dame anywhere on this list for college teams with most active players in the nfl?

LSU leads colleges with most alums on Week 1 NFL rosters

they've only had 3 college all americans since 2010, and none were offensive skill players. a team like florida state had 10.

Consensus All-America Teams (2010-2015) | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

nd will never be a perennial power again as long as they are on an unequal playing field regarding academics standard. even urban meyer(who did coach at notre dame) and nick saban would not equal the past great nd coaches success.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4th most difficult schedule? I wouldn't have thought that at the beginning of the year and certainly not now.

Oh. Frank Lehey's winning percentage crushes everyone's. We've not had 14 coaches since Leahy.

Since Rockne there are 5 coaches with at least one full season at the helm (I'm not counting O'Leary or any interim coaches) with a better WP than Kelly. Elmer Layden, Lehey, McKeever, Parsegian, Devine and Holtz.

Brian Kelly is middle of the road mediocre and that's his ceiling.

rockne coached in the 20's, leahy in the 40's. i said going back to the 40's.

List of Notre Dame Fighting Irish head football coaches - Wikipedia

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rockne coached in the 20's, leahy in the 40's. i said going back to the 40's.

List of Notre Dame Fighting Irish head football coaches - Wikipedia
Yeah. I know when they coached. We have not had 14 coaches since Leahy. Not even close unless you include interim guys or O'Leary who never set foot on campus.

We've had 11 coaches since Leahy. Brennan, Devore, Kuharich, Parseigian, Devine, Faust, Holtz, Davie, Willingham, Weis and Kelly.

The 1950's rival the 2000's as the worst stretch in ND football.

All you've established is that Kelly is better than ND's historically bad coaches, but no where near as good as our NC coaches.

Last edited:

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I know when they coached. We have not had 14 coaches since Leahy. Not even close even if you include interim guys or O'Leary who never set foot on campus.
going back to leahy, only ara, holtz, and devine have better records?

that includes @14 coaches, with 2 not coaching a full season.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
going back to leahy, only ara, holtz, and devine have better records?

that includes @14 coaches, with 2 not coaching a full season.
Baer coached 1 game. O'Leary never coached a game.

Again McKeever coached 1944. Devore coached 1945. When Leahy returned and coached till 1949. Since Leahy we have had 11 coaches with at least 1 full season. Not 14.

Kelly is 4th on that list in terms of WP. This includes two dark periods in the program. Brennan-Kuharich, and Davie-Weis. So, again he's middle of the road. Better than the worst, but far better than the best. Unfair or not since ND has no conference titles, success is measured by national titles.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baer coached 1 game. O'Leary never coached a game.

Again McKeever coached 1944. Devore coached 1945. When Leahy returned and coached till 1949. Since Leahy we have had 11 coaches with at least 1 full season. Not 14.

Kelly is 4th on that list in terms of WP. This includes two dark periods in the program. Brennan-Kuharich, and Davie-Weis. So, again he's middle of the road. Better than the worst, but far better than the best. Unfair or not since ND has no conference titles, success is measured by national titles.
11 or 14, who cares, kelly is still among the top 4 over the last 60 years.

firing him after 1 bad season would be a mistake, and is unlikely to happen anyway.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

firing him after 1 bad season would be a mistake, and is unlikely to happen anyway.
He hasn't had 1 bad season. He's had 2 good ones in 7 years. He's barely above .500 since 2012.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1 bad season?

I won't be partaking in this conversation, guy is a lunatic.