• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Final AP Top 25 of the season (you know if anybody cares)

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure Colorado didn't want to be there. :dhd:
Well neither did the goat milkers then... :happy:
The difference however, Okie State's record didn't give them a good argument to play in the Sugar Bowl.

Pretty sure tf12 is snickering about the Buff's losing the 'eye test' of the committee to SC, and subsequently the Rose Bowl bid.

The Buff's argument:
  • They were ranked #8 at the end of the regular season going into the PAC12 Championship. (SC was #11)
  • They won the PAC12 South.
  • They had the better Overall record.
  • They had a better Conference record. (Even after they lost the Conference Championship)
  • Their only losses, save #11 @USC, were to #5 @Michigan & #4 Washington in the PAC CCG.
Will the committee choose the head-to-head winner? Or the South Division champion?

USC (9-3), ranked No. 11 in last week’s rankings, needs to move three spots to leap No. 8 Colorado (10-3). The decision is complex, with little precedent and murky criteria. Even style points in USC’s head-to-head win could matter.

The case for USC: Its eight-game winning streak trails only Alabama and Western Michigan. It has two top-10 wins. The Trojans had the sixth-toughest schedule in the country, and its three losses all came against top-25 teams, including No. 1 Alabama. USC won the head-to-head matchup with Colorado despite four turnovers, leads Colorado in most computer rankings and convincingly defeated Washington on the road.

The case for Colorado: Its third loss only came because it bested USC for the conference title. Besides its loss to the Trojans, its two defeats came against top-five teams, Washington and Michigan. The Buffaloes defeated the two Pac-12 teams that USC couldn’t, Stanford and Utah, and its loss to USC was on the road with a margin of victory that might look slimmer to the committee, thanks to Smith-Schuster’s knee.

The committee’s chairman, Kirby Hocutt, said after revealing last week’s rankings that, for the playoff, its mandate is to select “the four very best teams in college football.”

That logic will likely inform its down-ballot decisions too.

If the committee cannot decide between the two, “that’s when we go to the protocol and the metric, being conference championships, strength of schedules, head-to-head and outcomes against common opponents.”

USC would seem to hold the edge there, but Scott Jenkins, the chairman of the Rose Bowl Management Committee, isn’t convinced.

“Unless there is a huge blowout in one of those conference championship games, I don’t think the committee wants to hurt a team for playing in them,’’ Jenkins told The Times this week. “If Colorado loses, I’d be surprised if Colorado drops much, if at all. It would be a surprise to me if USC jumps Colorado.”

Looking at how the committee treated past championship-game losers could provide some insight. Here’s a look at such decisions:

• Stanford defeats USC, 41-22. USC drops five spots. The Trojans (8-5) fall below Utah (9-3), a team USC defeated.
  • Michigan State defeats Iowa, 16-13. Iowa drops one spot and the Hawkeyes (11-1) remain ahead of Ohio State (11-1), a team that hadn’t made the Big Ten title game. The teams did not play in the regular season.
  • Alabama defeats Florida, 29-15. Florida drops one spot. The Gators (10-3) remain one spot ahead of Louisiana State (8-3), which won the head-to-head matchup.
  • Clemson defeats North Carolina, 45-37. North Carolina (11-2) does not rise or drop.

• Oregon defeats Arizona, 51-13. Arizona drops three spots. The Wildcats (10-3) remain ahead of UCLA (9-3), which won the head-to-head matchup.
  • Ohio State defeats Wisconsin, 59-0. Wisconsin (10-3) moves down five spots.
  • Alabama defeats Missouri, 42-13. Missouri does not rise or drop. The Tigers (10-3) do not pass Georgia (9-3), which won the head-to-head matchup and entered the championship weekend ranked two spots ahead of Missouri.
  • Florida State defeats Georgia Tech, 37-35. Georgia Tech drops one spot. The Yellow Jackets (10-3) remain one spot ahead of Georgia (9-3), an out-of-conference team it defeated.
So basically Colorado ended up losing to No. 3, No. 4 & No. 10 (Final Results) before playing Okie State in the Alamo Bowl.

So yeah, they wanted to be in the Rose Bowl, not the Alamo Bowl.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference however, Okie State's record didn't give them a good argument to play in the Sugar Bowl.

Pretty sure tf12 is snickering about the Buff's losing the 'eye test' of the committee to SC, and subsequently the Rose Bowl bid.

The Buff's argument:
  • They were ranked #8 at the end of the regular season going into the PAC12 Championship. (SC was #11)
  • They won the PAC12 South.
  • They had the better Overall record.
  • They had a better Conference record. (Even after they lost the Conference Championship)
  • Their only losses, save #11 @USC, were to #5 @Michigan & #4 Washington in the PAC CCG.

So basically Colorado ended up losing to No. 3, No. 4 & No. 10 (Final Results) before playing Okie State in the Alamo Bowl.

So yeah, they wanted to be in the Rose Bowl, not the Alamo Bowl.
I'd like to be in Catherine Heigl's poon....

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to be in Catherine Heigl's poon....
p173734_d_v8_aa.jpg

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what you're saying is that you guise would lose to Utah if you played them again right now.

Oklahoma ended ranked fifth with 2 losses. Beating the #11 and #24 team and losing to the final #6. How does Oklahoma end the season only playing three ranked teams, and not beating any team in the top ten and still finish ranked in the top five?

Ohio State ended ranked sixth with 2 losses. Beating the #5, #9, #10, and losing to the #1 and #7. I don't know what would happen if OSU played Oklahoma again, but I do know they played in Norman and tOSU won 45 - 24.

Basic reading comprehension?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does the final ranking matter much more than the preseason ones or any other? They are always highly subjective and always will be.

UW at 4? Doesn't matter that much to me. They were in the national discussion and had their chance at the playoffs. That's all I care about. Who is above or below them on the final polls doesn't matter all that much. All top 10 teams have that to use as recruiting fodder and their actual slot doesn't change things that much in that context. It also matters somewhat toward what those always accurate preseason polls for next year will start out as and a slot or two here and there won't change those that much either.

Right now it's all about the recruiting classes and how your team finishes up there. Far more important than any type of ranking or poll.

And then the loooooooooong ass off season with not much more than a brief awakening for spring ball until it all ramps up again.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree that Oklahoma would beat Washington. As I said in an earlier post, I think any of the other top 11 would beat the Huskies straight up. The Huskies benefited from an easier schedule ((SOS = 53rd) than anyone in the top 20 except Western Michigan, even with 'Bama and USC figured in as 2 and 3.

My top 6 would be:
1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. USC
4. Penn St.
5. Oklahoma
6. Ohio St.

:2cents:
Damn I love to see "EVERYONES" opinion on Sportshoopla. Everyone knows (or should know) this is just an opinion thread.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh3:

You mean the Colorado team that just got mudholed by the big 12 team that got mudholed by Oklahoma for the big 12 championship? Try again, old man. :laugh3:
Yeah, I'm talking about the Oklahoma team that got their asses rimmed out by Ohio State in "Norman, Oklahoma",

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm talking about the Oklahoma team that got their asses rimmed out by Ohio State in "Norman, Oklahoma",

Yes, because football teams are entirely stagnant throughout a season. Try and keep up.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, because football teams are entirely stagnant throughout a season. Try and keep up.
Don't get the head scratch...

No one better than SC fan should understand this.

The Trojans went from an embarrassing Neutral field loss to open their season to an exciting Rose Bowl win & No. 3 Ranking to close it.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No getting rimmed is losing 52-6 like Usc did this year.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does the final ranking matter much more than the preseason ones or any other? They are always highly subjective and always will be.

UW at 4? Doesn't matter that much to me. They were in the national discussion and had their chance at the playoffs. That's all I care about. Who is above or below them on the final polls doesn't matter all that much. All top 10 teams have that to use as recruiting fodder and their actual slot doesn't change things that much in that context. It also matters somewhat toward what those always accurate preseason polls for next year will start out as and a slot or two here and there won't change those that much either.

Right now it's all about the recruiting classes and how your team finishes up there. Far more important than any type of ranking or poll.

And then the loooooooooong ass off season with not much more than a brief awakening for spring ball until it all ramps up again.

Everyone wants some sort of measuring stick on how the team did that year. It's imperfect so we argue about whos better Oklahoma or USC . But we argue because they are ranked close to each other . It is subjective, but at the end of the season things have played themselves out. We know what teams are the best and this year clearly what team is the best, what teams are really good , what teams are just good and what teams suck. The order we can yap about but no one is asking if Houston is good or if Penn state sucks. You can be sure your Husky recruiters are saying to prospects that they are a top five team.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone wants some sort of measuring stick on how the team did that year. It's imperfect so we argue about whos better Oklahoma or USC . But we argue because they are ranked close to each other . It is subjective, but at the end of the season things have played themselves out. We know what teams are the best and this year clearly what team is the best, what teams are really good , what teams are just good and what teams suck. The order we can yap about but no one is asking if Houston is good or if Penn state sucks. You can be sure your Husky recruiters are saying to prospects that they are a top five team.
I said it was fodder for recruiting already. And they would still be saying they finished #4 in the CFP polls and played in the playoffs whether or not they dropped down to 10th. Their recruiting impact was assured no matter what that poll said.

I just don't get worked up over polls one way or another and never have.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it was fodder for recruiting already. And they would still be saying they finished #4 in the CFP polls and played in the playoffs whether or not they dropped down to 10th. Their recruiting impact was assured no matter what that poll said.

I just don't get worked up over polls one way or another and never have.

Playoffs , final polls , they are all measuring sticks . Unless your Clemson, your team is in some sort of order based on perception and finish. You can chose to ignore them but the final one most people do use for lots or things. I think knowing your team was a playoff or top ten team makes fan bases content. Being unranked makes fan bases want change. It's part of being fans. The pre season and most of the season rankings are pretty useless. They shouldn't rank teams till game five or so.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No getting rimmed is losing 52-6 like Usc did this year.
But we are not talking about USC, we were talking about Oklahoma in the previous post.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But we are not talking about USC, we were talking about Oklahoma in the previous post.

Actually we are because you're arguing about whether OU would beat USC at this point.