• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Few Believed in WVU

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chuck McGill: Few believed in WVU, but that might change  - WVU Sports - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -

While we are all too familiar with some of WVU's lopsided losses, this article makes some interesting points... to include...

Holgorsen detractors won't like this, but Saturday's triumph makes him 5-4 against the nationally ranked. For comparison's sake, the late and great Bill Stewart only had four opportunities against ranked teams in three-plus seasons (he went 2-2).
This is the third consecutive season WVU has defeated a top 15 team. Holgorsen is the first coach here to pull off that feat.
Holgorsen is also the only WVU football coach with a winning record against ranked opponents. Through 31 games, he is 20-11 overall. Rich Rodriguez went 3-8 against ranked teams through the 31-game mark at WVU. Don Nehlen was 2-6. Bobby Bowden was 0-3. For the mathematically challenged, Rodriguez, Nehlen and Bowden combined for as many wins over top 25 teams in their first 31 games (a total of 93 games combined) as Holgorsen has on his own.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting Stats!!...

I am not going to get too carried away....not sure what I really watched on Saturday...WV played well?...or Okie State just laid an egg??...it's fair to ask that question don't you think when you get your ass handed to you by Maryland the week before?.....

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is a fair question to ask.

IMO, there is no doubt that Okie St played a poor game on offense. Does WVU's defense deserve credit? Does the atmosphere at the stadium deserve some of the credit?

Somewhere in the middle... we may have our answer.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, there is no doubt that Okie St played a poor game on offense. Does WVU's defense deserve credit? Does the atmosphere at the stadium deserve some of the credit?

Yes and Yes...they played poor because our defense forced the issue and made the plays when they didn't...not going to give Ok St a out like they gave us that one...sitting on our 1 it was our defense beating them not them laying down...my 2 cents

With that being said I am not calling for a NC this season, but a bowl birth is within reach and if the cards fall right we could be in the conf run...high expectations for sure, but as we saw Saturday anything is possible.

Said it before that was the most consistently loud crowd I have seen at a game. Why? because our team took their punches and answered...very proud of the effort.

Keep improving should be our goal and Saturday was a huge step in that direction.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking for me... my family... and those around us... there was a buzz flowing as the defense made play after play.... after play. The play of the defense got the juices going for the crowd.

It is a great feeling to watch our defensive players wreaking havoc on the offense.

Walsh was scrambling for his life. The timing between he and his receivers had to be off as a result. He took a bunch of shots too. Gotta give him credit though... he was able to keep his eyes downfield while he was scrambling.

Like most of their season, he was their only real running threat.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting stats, but also not fair. Take a look at what these guys inherited. Don Nehlen took over a losing team from Cignetti. Rich Rod stripped the team down to fit his style of coaching. "You gotta tear em down to build em up!" Then both Bill and Holgs came into the gig with good talent. I'd like to think Holgs SHOULD win quite a few of those games with as many NFL players as we've turned out recently. It's to the point that it's almost impossible to watch an NFL game without hearing at least one former Mountaineer's name called.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys got Holgerson and Simms from UH, so I figured you'd probably be pretty good.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting stats, but also not fair. Take a look at what these guys inherited. Don Nehlen took over a losing team from Cignetti. Rich Rod stripped the team down to fit his style of coaching. "You gotta tear em down to build em up!" Then both Bill and Holgs came into the gig with good talent. I'd like to think Holgs SHOULD win quite a few of those games with as many NFL players as we've turned out recently. It's to the point that it's almost impossible to watch an NFL game without hearing at least one former Mountaineer's name called.

While it is true that Nehlen took over a team which had been losing, it was hardly a team void of talent. Cignetti was recruiting talent to Morgantown. Oliver Luck and Darryl Talley come to mind...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and Yes...they played poor because our defense forced the issue and made the plays when they didn't...not going to give Ok St a out like they gave us that one...sitting on our 1 it was our defense beating them not them laying down...my 2 cents

With that being said I am not calling for a NC this season, but a bowl birth is within reach and if the cards fall right we could be in the conf run...high expectations for sure, but as we saw Saturday anything is possible.

Said it before that was the most consistently loud crowd I have seen at a game. Why? because our team took their punches and answered...very proud of the effort.

Keep improving should be our goal and Saturday was a huge step in that direction.

I was wondering that too, now that our defense is getting some effective coaching, the kids are hitting HARD. Were those dropped passes by the OSU receivers due to a bad day, OR due to the thought in the back of their head that they were going to get the stuffing knocked out of them?? IF we can get an effective ST coach now, there may still be hope for this season.

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but I still don't buy this junk of comparing the product of today to some past statistical analysis of the past. Different time, different offensive and defensive schemes, different character of coaches, and most of all, HUGE difference in conferences and attitudes of who we play, and when, so, in my humble opinion, it is all worthless babble, and I won't lower my thoughts to that level.

WVU, at this moment in time, is growing, fast, no, but they are showing measurable growth on and off the field. As I have done so often in the past, spouted my displeasure for things of this current head coach and staff, I now can no longer bring those complaints to the table. Holgerson is very slowly gaining steam, and literally knowledge, on how to be a head coach, AND, how to most effectively transpose his plan to an understanding level that this current group of players can grasp. It slaps at my pride, but I was way to hasty in my evaluation. Are we going to win every game with this group of young men? I honestly believe we are going to make a darn good showing the rest of this season, and even in loss, there will be growth for the next game. Looking back now at interviews of Holgerson, he said just exactly the same thing. So, onward Mountaineers!!!! But let us be real, honest even, we are a growing team, and for sure, we did a whole lot of it against OSU.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While it is true that Nehlen took over a team which had been losing, it was hardly a team void of talent. Cignetti was recruiting talent to Morgantown. Oliver Luck and Darryl Talley come to mind...
You're always going to have some talent. My point is more that you really don't know how a coach is going to do until AFTER his first 3-4 years when they have their own recruits coming in. A great coach who can't recruit is just as bad as the inverse.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're always going to have some talent. My point is more that you really don't know how a coach is going to do until AFTER his first 3-4 years when they have their own recruits coming in. A great coach who can't recruit is just as bad as the inverse.

Chuck presented another perspective of Dana's performance through his first 31 games as HC. It was a simple look at how these coaches fared against ranked opponents early in their tenure.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This all has to be taken with a grain of salt, REMEMBER, when Nehlen started at WVU, there was only a top 20, NOT 25, so there would be 20% less ranked teams to start with. PLUS, sPitt and PSU were top FIVE. Not fair to compare directly.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

YES, Cignetti had some GREAT assistants and could get the talent in, but lacked the experience to be a good game day coach.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YES, Cignetti had some GREAT assistants and could get the talent in, but lacked the experience to be a good game day coach.

I would say his Hall of Fame induction would say otherwise.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say his Hall of Fame induction would say otherwise.
BB, come on, man, read what is said, he LATER, with more EXPERIENCE, came to be a great Div 2 coach. He had NO experience as HC prior to serving as WVU's HC.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chuck presented another perspective of Dana's performance through his first 31 games as HC. It was a simple look at how these coaches fared against ranked opponents early in their tenure.
Just pointing out that it's not an even comparison. Anyone can make stats say anything they want them to, but I do find that a very interesting point.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB, come on, man, read what is said, he LATER, with more EXPERIENCE, came to be a great Div 2 coach. He had NO experience as HC prior to serving as WVU's HC.

You are big on this prior HC experience... aren't you.

Frank had the same amount of coaching experience as Joe Paterno... Tom Osborne... Barry Switzer. All were promoted at their respective schools from coordinator to HC.

Not sure why anyone thinks a HC has to have been a HC somewhere else to say experience matters. Plenty of examples of HC's moving from one HC job to another and failing at their new job.

Kiffen comes immediately to mind...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Frank had the same amount of coaching experience as Joe Paterno... Tom Osborne... Barry Switzer. All were promoted at their respective schools from coordinator to HC.

Not sure why anyone thinks a HC has to have been a HC somewhere else to say experience matters. Plenty of examples of HC's moving from one HC job to another and failing at their new job.

Do you see the key word there, BB???? There was a HUGE continuity, the staff for each of those you mentioned remained basically the same, so there was not the turnover of the whole staff. For every Paterno you want to mention, there is also a Charlie Weis.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cignetti bombed out at WVU with no experience, later became a good coach at a lower level, so yes, prior experience DOES matter, let them learn the HC job at a lower level so we do not have to lose games while they learn the job.