• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ferrer passes Nadal in rankings the day after losing to him in French Open Finals

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On June 9th - 2013 French Open -- Rafael Nadal claims Slam-record eighth French title - ESPN

On June 10th - Tennis - ATP World Tour - Singles Rankings

ATP Men's Singles Ranking (Top 5)

1) Novak Djokovic - did not move
2) Andy Murray - did not move
3) Roger Federer - did not move
4) David Ferrer - went up 1 spot
5) Rafael Nadal - went down 1 spot

:wtf2:

Actually its pretty easy. All Rafa did was defend his points from last year ( in essence gaining nothing), Ferrer added points by virtue of making it to the Finals this year ( lost in the semis last year).

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, in a yearly point system, you are obviously going to have increases or decreases based on how you did a year ago. Nadal missed six of the last twelve months and will have no trouble finishing the year in the top 2 if he stays healthy.

The interesting year-end races will be Nadal v. Djokovic for #1 (Nadal currently has 7,000 points and Nole has 5,030), and Ferrer v. Murray v. Federer #3 (Ferrer has 4,080, Murray has 2,910, and Federer has 2,220). Also, could Fed even finish below Berdych or Tsonga? Fed at #7 would be a shocker, and for this die-hard fan, would be sad to swallow (if not wholly unepected...he will be 32).

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, in a yearly point system, you are obviously going to have increases or decreases based on how you did a year ago. Nadal missed six of the last twelve months and will have no trouble finishing the year in the top 2 if he stays healthy.

The interesting year-end races will be Nadal v. Djokovic for #1 (Nadal currently has 7,000 points and Nole has 5,030), and Ferrer v. Murray v. Federer #3 (Ferrer has 4,080, Murray has 2,910, and Federer has 2,220). Also, could Fed even finish below Berdych or Tsonga? Fed at #7 would be a shocker, and for this die-hard fan, would be sad to swallow (if not wholly unepected...he will be 32).

ESPECIALLY since Fed has a bunch of points to defend coming up. A QF or even a SF loss at Wimbledon could put him in serious jeopardy of dropping out of the top 5 by year end. Ironic since it was only a year ago he regained his number 1 ranking and we all thought he'd be great til 35. LOL

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPECIALLY since Fed has a bunch of points to defend coming up. A QF or even a SF loss at Wimbledon could put him in serious jeopardy of dropping out of the top 5 by year end. Ironic since it was only a year ago he regained his number 1 ranking and we all thought he'd be great til 35. LOL

His game is so much based on movement and grace. I'm not surprised at all, to be honest. 18 has always been the number I thought he'd end with, so at this point I just hope he can get one more. My hunch is he gets it at the US Open.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand why he moved ahead of Rafa but I still don't like it nor do I agree

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand why he moved ahead of Rafa but I still don't like it nor do I agree

I mean, how do you possibly have a system that isn't based on a year to year system? It's the only way that makes any sense unless you start the year at 0. That would lead to chaos, because the winners at the early January tourneys (Doha, Sydney, Auckland) would get good AO seeds. And then, some of the best players would play each other earlier in the draw, which could boomerang and led to more unfair draws and randomness in the future. There's just no other option.

The only major problem with Tennis' ranking system is that it is too hard for young players to reach main draws. Elite juniors aren't ever getting the chance to develop because they can't get out of the challengers until they are 21 or 22. Outside of adding designated spots in the draw for top ranked players, I thin the points and tourney schedule is very, very good.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple changes I would make to the schedule is first push the Aussie Open back to mid Feb so you can give the guys more than 1 warm up tourney and I also would like to see grass court season extended.

There's like 2 tournaments in grass court season. They have 2 tourneys before Wimbledon and that is it....Also push back Wimbledon until the start of July. There's not enough time between that and the French

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple changes I would make to the schedule is first push the Aussie Open back to mid Feb so you can give the guys more than 1 warm up tourney and I also would like to see grass court season extended.

There's like 2 tournaments in grass court season. They have 2 tourneys before Wimbledon and that is it....Also push back Wimbledon until the start of July. There's not enough time between that and the French

I'd be in favor of both of those. More than the problem with lack of warmup, the AO is always ridiculously hot. Matches in 100 degrees say as much about who can handle heat as they do about who is the better tennis player.

For grass, I agree completely as well. I want more variety on tour. A top player should play about 18 tourneys: 8 on hard court (and vary up the maker of the court and indoor/outdoor), 4 on grass, 3 on red clay, 1 on blue clay, 2 on carpet. This schedule where 90% is on monotonous hard and clay courts is beyond frustrating.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like where you are going with this, but I think pushing the Aussie to late Feb would be better. I dont think they want to compete with the Super Bowl. They could squeeze it in before College basketball gets into its frenzy. The problem is they get all there ball boys & girls during those 2 weeks of school vacation.

I like moving Wimbledon out another week and also the Newport Hall of Fame as well. That is becoming a popular tournament now that they are starting a week later. That still leaves 5 weeks to the US Open.

I think they should have an indoor season as well from Oct to Jan with some time off in between. Maybe even a 5th Major?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love a 5th major.

BTW I couldn't agree more with you Smart about having more variety on the tour instead just hard courts and clay all year long

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nadal gained zero points for defending his RG title.

That's the way it is for any defending champ of any tournament. They can never gain points the next year, they can only stay the same, or lose points.