• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Felix & Paxton Update

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can either of them hit a middle fastball or lay of a breaking ball in the dirt?

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, 4 games back with 6 teams ahead in the standings and only 20 games left, I'd probably prefer to sit/rest Paxton and Felix for the rest of the season.

Last edited:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, 4 games back with 6 teams ahead in the standings and only 20 games left, I'd probably prefer to sit/rest Paxton and Felix for the rest of the season.
Same but it's the Mariners

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty much, literally makes zero sense for either to pitch an inning in a game, especially Felix. He's logged too many miles on his arm to waste some and with Paxton they just need to not put pressure on him and come up with a gameplay on how to keep him healthy. They game planned for his different release point and he became arguably the best pitcher in the game, now plan around his injuries. Whether it be a 6 man rotation, skip starts, a Bedard pitch count. Something, anything.

But, it's the Mariners and they need to sell season tickets and packages for next year. So they can trot them out there in garbage time and beat the if injuries hadn't happened drum all winter.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep him DLed and then trade him in the off season. Paxton will no doubt go somewhere else and put up a great five-year run before age starts affecting his fastball. But that great run isn't going to happen here. If he stays here we will continue to see partial seasons and many more DL trips. Trade him now. His current value is higher than it has ever been.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, seeing how they did this week, it was worth bringing them back from the DL.

Just in time to watch them both quit.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that they're OFFICIALLY eliminated, why are Felix and Paxton still pitching? Serious question, has anyone heard any reasoning?

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that they're OFFICIALLY eliminated, why are Felix and Paxton still pitching? Serious question, has anyone heard any reasoning?
That's not as half as interesting as to why they decided to actually play like they're supposed to AFTER the fact!

smh

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was just utterly pointless to have them come back, during a "playoff push" and have them on pitch counts. To me, pitch counts are stupid, but it's even more idiotic to have your top 2 pitchers not even given the option to throw a combined complete game.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was just utterly pointless to have them come back, during a "playoff push" and have them on pitch counts. To me, pitch counts are stupid, but it's even more idiotic to have your top 2 pitchers not even given the option to throw a combined complete game.
Yeah they were basically having guys rehab while trying to make the playoffs. Kind of the same thing they did with Erasmo, they needed to stretch him out his first few starts back in a Mariners Uniform. Granted Erasmo has been pretty good lately, way better than I expected. There was a long stretch there for awhile where it seemed none of the pitchers could make it 2 times through the order.

The entire "playoff push" that this front office was selling was a complete shit show.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah they were basically having guys rehab while trying to make the playoffs. Kind of the same thing they did with Erasmo, they needed to stretch him out his first few starts back in a Mariners Uniform. Granted Erasmo has been pretty good lately, way better than I expected. There was a long stretch there for awhile where it seemed none of the pitchers could make it 2 times through the order.

The entire "playoff push" that this front office was selling was a complete shit show.

Basically my sentiment.

One thing, is I am hearing excuses right now because of the injuries...who's fault is that though? Jerry came into the season with 4 of his 5 starting pitchers were huge injury risks.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically my sentiment.

One thing, is I am hearing excuses right now because of the injuries...who's fault is that though? Jerry came into the season with 4 of his 5 starting pitchers were huge injury risks.
Exactly... Before the season we knew Kuma would be on the DL at some point, Paxton history has shown he would be on the DL at some point, Smyly has had injury issues throughout his career the only time he made it for an entire season was also his worst statistically, and Felix started to show signs of injuries for the first time in his career in 2016 innings are adding up on Felix.

Fact is all four of those guys got hit square in the dick with the injuries. These 4 guys were also our best 4 starters. The guys that didn't get hurt were the crappy ones. So sure put some blame on the injuries but I think you are right Dipoto flat out shit the bed setting this team up then went into panic mode with crazy trades and calling players up. Andrew Moore shouldn't have been called up this season he got a little rushed. He should still pan out imo. Damn I get pissed thinking about how this season unfolded, mismanaged fart circus

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically my sentiment.

This and what I have spouted all year that 4 of the 5 projected starting SP's were coming off a career worst ERA's last season coming into this season. What about that screamed playoffs?????? Damn JD!

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll admit I'd never seen Moore before until his second (I think start) in Tacoma and was massively underwhelmed that he is the top pitcher in the system to be anywhere near MLB ready. Don't get me wrong, he could turn out to be a fine pitcher I'm just skeptical about a guy who doesn't have any out pitches and relies mostly on control.

The system is just sad and Jerry IMO should brunt a ton of blame and not use excuses when he build a staff based off a gamble everyone would be healthy. He has made like 900 trades leaving the already bare system even worse and the outlook on the Mariners future, very bleak at least in the interim unless of course they open the checkbook, which is highly unlikely. It's just depressing as a baseball fan.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll admit I'd never seen Moore before until his second (I think start) in Tacoma and was massively underwhelmed that he is the top pitcher in the system to be anywhere near MLB ready. Don't get me wrong, he could turn out to be a fine pitcher I'm just skeptical about a guy who doesn't have any out pitches and relies mostly on control.

The system is just sad and Jerry IMO should brunt a ton of blame and not use excuses when he build a staff based off a gamble everyone would be healthy. He has made like 900 trades leaving the already bare system even worse and the outlook on the Mariners future, very bleak at least in the interim unless of course they open the checkbook, which is highly unlikely. It's just depressing as a baseball fan.
Well Moore never really projected as an ace by any stretch, his top end is as a #3 or solid #4. When he was drafted I thought he would be quick to the majors just because he was already fairly polished within his skill set and the closest to reaching his ceiling. Outside of a select few players there isn't much to be excited about in the Mariners farm right now and nothing close enough to the majors to be a factor soon. Outside of the Dipoto special (the AAAA pitcher) there isn't any impact players right around the corner.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This franchise somehow finds a way to continuously baffle me

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Moore never really projected as an ace by any stretch, his top end is as a #3 or solid #4. When he was drafted I thought he would be quick to the majors just because he was already fairly polished within his skill set and the closest to reaching his ceiling. Outside of a select few players there isn't much to be excited about in the Mariners farm right now and nothing close enough to the majors to be a factor soon. Outside of the Dipoto special (the AAAA pitcher) there isn't any impact players right around the corner.

I will admit I never recall him being drafted, I just heard Jerry raving about him like he was a pitcher who had electric stuff who could inject a spark. So it was my fault I never did research on him but was just disappointed that I went there to see him and left extremely disappointed that Jerry touted him so highly.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will admit I never recall him being drafted, I just heard Jerry raving about him like he was a pitcher who had electric stuff who could inject a spark. So it was my fault I never did research on him but was just disappointed that I went there to see him and left extremely disappointed that Jerry touted him so highly.
Well I follow that crap pretty close, desperation for hope i guess. The 2015 draft was Jack Z's last draft, we didn't have a 1st rounder so we took Neidert in the 2nd round and Moore was a comp next after him I believe.

Jerry saying he is "electric" is a massive overstatement in my opinion. Don't blame you for being disappointed. He pitched well at every stop through the minors and struggled in majors so far. I still have hope for him especially given his college and minor league history.