• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Favorite Reads

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My latest Audible review, that I dedicate to @Wazmankg and @Clayton

Review of The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde

RATING: 4/5 stars

The Picture of Dorian Gray, written by Oscar Wilde and published in its complete format in 1891, is a masterpiece among works dealing with the duplicity of human nature. Aside from one long-winded chapter, it is very easy to read and offers great rewards and commentary on human nature to those who do so.

I have long been fascinated in character arc's in movies, television, and literature. My favorite of the three archetypes of the character arc is the "moral decay" character arc, such as Michael Corleone's eventual involvement and taking-over of his father's mob family. Aside from AMC's Breaking Bad, no piece of art better captures the moral decay of a character than The Picture of Dorian Gray in its titular character.

Many people believe that they are incapable of extreme immorality. Sure, they might cheat on their taxes or speed while driving, but things like murder and r*pe are off the table. This novel paints (yes, bad pun intended) a ghastly picture to those people. The truth is, when put in the right circumstances, we are all capable of moral decay and corruption, even to the point of the most inconceivable inhuman acts.

Dorian Gray is granted the wish to trade his soul for the worldly pursuits. He then embarks on a life of sin; from manslaughter, to swindling people, to even murder of his once dear friend. It is a tale like this that reminds us all that we are not perfect; we are not Jesus, and just because we have never been put in a position to "break bad;" if we were, we could and would easily bend. Seeing Dorian go down the road of corruption and evil is tantalizing to the reader; it is as if we are able to do so ourselves. After all, Dorian in the beginning of the novel is just like us in his moral aptitude, as is Walter White. But they are put in positions to gain the world and yet lose their souls, and they do so gladly.

My only complaint with the novel would be one minor intricacy in the conclusion, that I will not spoil for the reader. Other than that, Oscar Wilde's Dorian Gray is a masterpiece, and should be read by anyone interested in the possible corruption of one's soul.

I read the cliff notes in school for a report. I should have read the whole book. But I seriously doubt it would change my mind regarding whether there are certain lines I would not cross, with the possible exception of preventing the imminent death of a family member. I acknowledge that there are probably scenarios one could conjure up along those lines. The dilemma facing Walter White when he caused Jesse's gf to die is not one of them, though.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finished Dark Matter by Blake Crouch and really enjoyed it. Wasn't overly complicated for a thriller and a pretty easy read.

PIcked up Noah Hawley's "Before the Fall", which has gotten some pretty decent reviews.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just about to start The Maltese Falcon on Audible (and it gave me a free PDF of the book with the audio purchase, so I could read it too if I get tired of listening to it!). Has anyone read it or seen any of the movie portrayals of the novel?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read the cliff notes in school for a report. I should have read the whole book. But I seriously doubt it would change my mind regarding whether there are certain lines I would not cross, with the possible exception of preventing the imminent death of a family member. I acknowledge that there are probably scenarios one could conjure up along those lines. The dilemma facing Walter White when he caused Jesse's gf to die is not one of them, though.
All arguments aside, I would certainly recommend the book. I too had to read it in high school, but went back and read it for pleasure now. Just as good as I remembered

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
excited that this is coming out soon

C7C4kS_VoAAy_ra.jpg:large

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
excited that this is coming out soon

C7C4kS_VoAAy_ra.jpg:large

This is a series I wish I did not know about until it was closer to done. I have to reread each book when a new one comes out. That is a lot of pages.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a series I wish I did not know about until it was closer to done. I have to reread each book when a new one comes out. That is a lot of pages.
I was just thinking about that. I have no idea what happened last in these books. I don't even remember the characters!

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just thinking about that. I have no idea what happened last in these books. I don't even remember the characters!

I remember Sazed, but the direction his character went in book 2 was intriguing to me So it stuck with me.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
guess I can just read the Wiki to remember the first 2 books, but yea, no way I am reading them over again.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanderson is probably the best out there right now. And he actually writes unlike GRRM, Lynch, and Rothfuss.

His Reckoners series is way underrated. Very cool. I imagine it would be even cooler if you dug comics/super heroes. Very cool take on that whole genre.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Started The Expanse by the way. Almost finished with Leviathan Wakes. All i have to say is WOW. Love it.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanderson is probably the best out there right now. And he actually writes unlike GRRM, Lynch, and Rothfuss.

His Reckoners series is way underrated. Very cool. I imagine it would be even cooler if you dug comics/super heroes. Very cool take on that whole genre.
I read Steelheart, but haven't gone out and read Firefight yet. I plan to though.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is fantastic. I am glad he got picked to finish Wheel of Time, It led me to a lot of great books.

I really like his legion series. It was planned for a tv series at some point, but now would need to be renamed for that to be true.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Started The Expanse by the way. Almost finished with Leviathan Wakes. All i have to say is WOW. Love it.
I put that on my to-read list at my library.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read Steelheart, but haven't gone out and read Firefight yet. I plan to though.

The series stays good. Firefight and Calamity both keep up the same pace