• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fantasy Football Unique Ideas

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting a family fantasy league next year and I want to make it unique with fun but different ideas. Anyone have any not-normal, but cool ideas/suggestions for fantasy football leagues?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting a family fantasy league next year and I want to make it unique with fun but different ideas. Anyone have any not-normal, but cool ideas/suggestions for fantasy football leagues?

your looking for scoring or for mini games??fact it is family, you are going to need to make it as standard scoring as possible... generally you will have some novices around...

DUB

Once A Champ, Always A Champ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have thoughts but I need to know more what you are looking for in this question. I love thinking outside the box while still running a great league.

-DUB-

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
your looking for scoring or for mini games??fact it is family, you are going to need to make it as standard scoring as possible... generally you will have some novices around...

True. There are a couple of really close friends as well, but still agreed. I'm looking for any kinds of ideas really.

Ideas I already have is:

1) There will be a separate rookie draft every year. We'll get together in April (before the real draft) and have a two-round draft amongst just the rookies, then the standard normal draft in August too.
2) Only 3 keepers per team (and each keeper can only be kept 3 years until they HAVE to be put back in the pool). If someone is cut back to the draft and redrafted by the same team his 3-year clock will reset.
3) Whatever round the player was drafted in is what he will cost you in the next draft to keep him. So if I draft a guy in the 5th round I would have to forfeit my 5th-round pick in the next year's draft to keep him.
4) 10 teams, 5 playoff teams. The 2 division champions will be seeded 1-2, next 2 best teams will be seeded 3-4 and the team with the most points scored among the remaining 6 teams will be seeded 5th, regardless of record.

These are just some of the ideas I have already.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have thoughts but I need to know more what you are looking for in this question. I love thinking outside the box while still running a great league.

-DUB-
See my above post. I also thought about something like whoever finishes last has to do something. Even if it's as simple as pay a little extra money or something. Nothing too extreme or embarrasing, haha.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who ever finishes last = have to pay $1 per transaction that they made over the course of the entire season, extra money goes to 1st and 2nd place pot/split TBD by championship game

having several 'bonus' payouts that have little to do with W-L record is always nice to keep everyone interested all season long. - lowest avg margin of defeat, most pts scored in individual week, most pts scored in a losing effort, etc

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. There are a couple of really close friends as well, but still agreed. I'm looking for any kinds of ideas really.

Ideas I already have is:

1) There will be a separate rookie draft every year. We'll get together in April (before the real draft) and have a two-round draft amongst just the rookies, then the standard normal draft in August too.
2) Only 3 keepers per team (and each keeper can only be kept 3 years until they HAVE to be put back in the pool). If someone is cut back to the draft and redrafted by the same team his 3-year clock will reset.
3) Whatever round the player was drafted in is what he will cost you in the next draft to keep him. So if I draft a guy in the 5th round I would have to forfeit my 5th-round pick in the next year's draft to keep him.
4) 10 teams, 5 playoff teams. The 2 division champions will be seeded 1-2, next 2 best teams will be seeded 3-4 and the team with the most points scored among the remaining 6 teams will be seeded 5th, regardless of record.

These are just some of the ideas I have already.

I would need to know if it is a beginner league or a competitive league... You really don't want to make it complicated with keepers and everything if you have casual fans in your league...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like a scattered schedule... sure this adds work for the commish... But I think it would be fun if a team can only face a team if they had the same result last week...

for example if team A Beats Team B in week one
and Team C beats Team D in week one

Then Team A faces Team C week 2..
And team B faces Team D week2

This does a couple things, it allows for better matchups the next week, and gives the worser teams more chances to win, which should keep them in the playoff race for longer...

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would need to know if it is a beginner league or a competitive league... You really don't want to make it complicated with keepers and everything if you have casual fans in your league...
Among the two it's closer to competitive, but definitely somewhere in-between. It is all either family or super close friends but we are all competitive and want to win too! haha.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Among the two it's closer to competitive, but definitely somewhere in-between. It is all either family or super close friends but we are all competitive and want to win too! haha.

so basically it is a normal league that happens to consist of mostly your family members?? LOL... Generally when people use friends and family they mean it is a less competitive and more slacking off league...

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so basically it is a normal league that happens to consist of mostly your family members?? LOL... Generally when people use friends and family they mean it is a less competitive and more slacking off league...
Haha, kinda. Yeah, I guess that's a good way to put it.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sacks cost your QB points is one of my favorites.

Points for rushing attempts.

Points for completions and or incompletions

Points for first downs.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Team Win/Loss stat - think it was @femurov that has that in one of his leagues.

Team DST gets pts or loses pts whether or not they actually won the game in real life

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDPs instead of team defense... or along with a team defense.

Punters.

Bonus points for longer TDs.

Points for punt/kick return yardage.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Team Win/Loss stat - think it was @femurov that has that in one of his leagues.

Team DST gets pts or loses pts whether or not they actually won the game in real life
My main league uses All-play as the first tiebreaker and discussed using it instead of a head to head schedule.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I run my company's fantasy football league. I had a unique drafting idea that got voted down, but I still think it would be an interesting twist. It's a 12-team league, though, so some adjustments would need to be made for a 10-team league.

[Note: We randomly draw our draft order every year with no keepers since employee turnover and team ownership changes regularly.]

Suggested Twist

Player pools for each owner will be randomly limited. Each team owner will randomly draw two NFL divisions in conjunction with the random draft order draw, limiting each owner to eight NFL teams they can choose players from. Each NFL division would be represented three times, so only three random owners will have access to an individual NFL team’s player pool during the draft.

Some Notable Ramifications
  • It obliterates standard draft strategies, forcing owners to come up with their own strategies on the fly.
  • It could create rivalries within the draft itself.
  • It should encourage player trades. You can only draft from a limited player pool, but you can trade with any other league owner after the draft.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I run my company's fantasy football league. I had a unique drafting idea that got voted down, but I still think it would be an interesting twist. It's a 12-team league, though, so some adjustments would need to be made for a 10-team league.

[Note: We randomly draw our draft order every year with no keepers since employee turnover and team ownership changes regularly.]

Suggested Twist

Player pools for each owner will be randomly limited. Each team owner will randomly draw two NFL divisions in conjunction with the random draft order draw, limiting each owner to eight NFL teams they can choose players from. Each NFL division would be represented three times, so only three random owners will have access to an individual NFL team’s player pool during the draft.

Some Notable Ramifications
  • It obliterates standard draft strategies, forcing owners to come up with their own strategies on the fly.
  • It could create rivalries within the draft itself.
  • It should encourage player trades. You can only draft from a limited player pool, but you can trade with any other league owner after the draft.

Yea, I would vote that down too... LOL... and I am known around these parts as someone who likes weird and unique...

I hate the different pools for different owners... different pools will naturally give SOMEONE an advantage somehow...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sacks cost your QB points is one of my favorites.

Points for rushing attempts.

Points for completions and or incompletions

Points for first downs.

I am going to add that to the Playoff league we do...

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I would vote that down too... LOL... and I am known around these parts as someone who likes weird and unique...

I hate the different pools for different owners... different pools will naturally give SOMEONE an advantage somehow...

I'm the kind of guy who embraces the challenge of overcoming a perceived disadvantage. I'm in the minority.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm the kind of guy who embraces the challenge of overcoming a perceived disadvantage. I'm in the minority.

only if you are the one given the disadvantage... but if luck of the draw gives you the advantage do you want to win like that?? if someone else has the disadvantage and sucks all season, are you prepared to hear the complaints??