• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fairly warm stove

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw where Josh Donaldson avoided arbitration and signed for a record $23m. That's a shocking amount of money for a non-free agent.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's become rather obvious teams are collectively throttling the free agent market. There really hasn't been a signing that has broken the ranks in terms of years or dollars.

It'll be interesting when it's all said and done to see what the top remaining FA signed for.
I think it's also a matter of lining up the burlap dolls at the carnie. Considering what Bryce Harper is going to get next year, it's going to be interesting to see who wants to strap on that contract for the next million years. Obviously a few teams can afford to do that, and 2 of them are in the NL-C.

But the international market intrigues me since I don't fully understand the signing penalties that come with it.

Still looking at some of the contracts being offered to Cubans and Koreans, one wonders ... how many Yasiel Puig contracts does it take to turn a team into a contender. It would seem there's a bit of collusion but there were also a LOT of free agents this winter. Not all of them were much more than Kris Negron types, but the structure of a roster has to include more and more of these guys.

I think the Bruce contract is probably what we will see more of, though JD Martinez, who has somehow been promoted to superstar status by his agent and the Boston media, seems to want a 7-year-deal.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryce Harper is in a different stratosphere to most FA when it comes to what he'll get. Harper, Trout, and guys of that ilk will always break the bank. I think what we're seeing is an attempt to reign in the contracts of the players not named Bryce Harper.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryce Harper is in a different stratosphere to most FA when it comes to what he'll get. Harper, Trout, and guys of that ilk will always break the bank. I think what we're seeing is an attempt to reign in the contracts of the players not named Bryce Harper.
For sure, you can't have half your payroll tied up in players who are league average. I think the other thing is that the Phillips-type contracts are going to be a lot less common. I think the Reds will be happier to trade Billy Hamilton than to pay him. Homer Bailey is the classic case of paying for a guy who hasn't delivered even a dozen wins, let along anchored a contending team's rotation.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read where Nick Senzel made the 2018 Preseason MLB Pipeline's All Defensive Team at 3rd. The kid has lived up to the hype early on.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read where Nick Senzel made the 2018 Preseason MLB Pipeline's All Defensive Team at 3rd. The kid has lived up to the hype early on.
I hope the guy at least shows he can hit .260 with 20 HR, more or less. That would compare favorably to Suarez.
What that means to me is that Suarez could be traded after this season. His value is pretty high and he turns an average team into a contender. The Reds could land a nice return on that.
IF Senzel can hit, that is.
But this is encouraging about his defense. 2B is going to be an interesting position.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pirates are pulling teeth without the anesthetic this week.
The Cole trade was probably a smart one.
The Cutch deal is going to sour the fans.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds and Suarez haven't settled his arbitration case yet. There is always the chance the Reds may be looking to extend him. He's been trending in the right direction and it'll never be cheaper to add a couple option years to his time in Cincy than it is now.

I don't think Scooter will be past next season. He would the middle infielder that I think would make the most sense to trade. Nick Senzel playing 2nd wouldn't be a bad thing.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pirates are in full-on "rebuild" mode...remembering it took about 3 decades last time....looks like they will be competing with our Reds for the cellar in the NLC next year, if you believe Milwaukee can really pitch that well again without playing D, and the Cardinals are going to dig into (pick one or all) A) the money they didn't pay Pujols to buy a couple of expensive studs B) The farm (to trade for a couple expensive studs) or C) the farm to reload all by themselves.

The only thing I'm really convinced of in the NLC is, the Cubs can clinch in JULY if they play, or by Labor Day if they don't. Last year, they took 2/3 of the season off, and still walked into the Division. Didn't help them get to the Series, though...I expect them to re-tool a couple of pitchers spots, and try hard to broker Heyward to anyone that would take him for a promise to pay...maybe the Angels. He's a popular rah-rah guy, but he looks like Tarzan, hits like Jane. WAY overpaid.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pirates are in full-on "rebuild" mode...remembering it took about 3 decades last time....looks like they will be competing with our Reds for the cellar in the NLC next year, if you believe Milwaukee can really pitch that well again without playing D, and the Cardinals are going to dig into (pick one or all) A) the money they didn't pay Pujols to buy a couple of expensive studs B) The farm (to trade for a couple expensive studs) or C) the farm to reload all by themselves.

The only thing I'm really convinced of in the NLC is, the Cubs can clinch in JULY if they play, or by Labor Day if they don't. Last year, they took 2/3 of the season off, and still walked into the Division. Didn't help them get to the Series, though...I expect them to re-tool a couple of pitchers spots, and try hard to broker Heyward to anyone that would take him for a promise to pay...maybe the Angels. He's a popular rah-rah guy, but he looks like Tarzan, hits like Jane. WAY overpaid.
Could be, league average is what it's all about for all but a half-dozen teams.
I like the looks of Milwaukee's 2 or 3 arms that are enticing.
The Pirates would have been better served to deal Marte for peanuts and kept the change to turn Cutch into a left fielder. They are going to be challenged on the mound.
Short term, the Reds are as good as the Cardinals.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always liked Senzel's bat way back to Tennessee- much better than Suarez, IMO, but I worried about his glove. Nice to see improvement there, but I don't think there is a chance they'll switch positions on him after the extra effort to clean up his act at 3B. Kinda counterproductive and mixed signal...the Reds would NEVER do that would they ? LOL...I wouldn't be opposed to see Suarez try 2b (he claimed to be a SS didn't he ?) or better, traded if they actually got a pitcher that could get an out or three without walking that many too... I think Suarez is less valuable than DuVall, for example, but I'd prefer to move Suarez to the OF and try to dump Scott Schebler instead. Yes, I know he's a lefty hitter, and please don't say he's a lefty Jay Bruce- because Schebler could not catch Bruce's jock if it was tossed in the air 6 feet from where he was standing and IMO, may have the worst arm for an everyday RF, in MLB...even in a small park. He's a weak armed LF playing in RF ...Arm wise-Schebler couldn't hit Scooter with a smoker from 50 feet away. Ernie Lombardi could take 2 on a single in front of Schebler every time, and Ernie is both slow and dead.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think Scooter looks like the next winner of the Reds Jonny Gomes award- you know, the journeyman platoon player they get for crumbs, they play the best ball of their career for 4 months and turn it into a multiyear Reds contract, only to slip right back to their real talent level (Unless Schebler edges him out). The Reds have a knack for doing this...almost like they are trying to. I'm hoping Dilson Herrera can hit more than Peraza (in case Scooter takes a dive, or just becomes a middle aged utility player) ....otherwise there are too many powerless bats in the same lineup (Hamilton, Peraza and Barnhart) to prevent the opposition from regularly overpowering the Reds in their own park. On the other hand, Hell, the Reds might hit 3 HR a game and still not out homer the Reds pitching staff.

Only problem with Reds pitching is they have none.... OK- they have 3 legitimate MLB pitchers, but they are all in less than optimal roles for their game, on this team. This weakness dooms the Reds to disappointment, if you are wishing to play better than .500. The '27 Yankees lineup couldn't have played .500 with this pitching staff.

I may be the only guy here that hopes they don't trade Billy Hamilton. He may not hit much, but he's a gold glove, strong armed CF, that may be the most prolific base stealer in decades... and smiles, has a cartoon voice, caters to fans, and contrary to the opinion of the (curiously cheap and frivolous at the same time) Reds front office, isn't expensive by MLB standards...Geez...you can teach a nearsighted fat kid to bunt, so why can't Billy ??? Besides, sadly, I don't see anyone in the Reds farm system anywhere close beating him out of a CF OR top of the order job.

I like a lot of the pieces the Reds have offensively -but the Reds lineup is almost like enjoying both pizza and biscuits and gravy (separately) but together they make you want to vomit. Too many perfectly square Reds hitters can't be forced into a good lineup's round holes. We may never know if Bryan Price is a MLB manager or not, because he hasn't had a single functional MLB roster yet.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Short term, the Reds are as good as the Cardinals.[/QUOTE]

Two things I always despise about the Cardinals:

1. They always have a minor leaguer when they really need one.
2. They always have payroll room no matter what their payroll is.

I think those 2 are related. It feels like a long time since the Reds farm was close to the Cardinals farm.

Short term, meaning a random 3 game series I would agree...but over a season- last year or this one, or maybe to 2020...I don't think the Reds have the horses to plow the same field the Cardinals do. Some of our horses are 3 legged, missing some teeth and tail, blind in one eye. Possible a zebra or two painted brown..I think one or two are actually bovine or swine, not horses at all.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue with the outfield is pretty simple:
There are 5 or 6 guys looking for 4 spots and if you put Scooter and Peraza on the list of guys who can play there for 2 innings, you have a lot of players with a similar set of skills and/or flaws.
LF ... I still like Duvall there but they have to give him more rest than other players.
CF ... Hamilton is worth 3 or 4 wins a year with his glove. I think his role as a leadoff guy has to change.
RF ... Schebler or Winker? Winker or Ervin? Winker appears to be the best of the bunch but his defense is more a LF defense. Duvall in RF has apparently not been seriously considered.

That leaves Siri and Trammel as guys in the wings, depending on what they do in trades.

The other components about which players to put where and what to do if they get traded ... I don't do lineups and I don't believe in slotting bullpens. If guys are in the big leagues and can't get people out, cut them or trade them ... and keep bringing guys in until you find somebody. The Reds have given 3 dozen guys a chance to play at the top level of the game -- an unbelievable opportunity for guys to cash the big check. Some of them look like they would rather play in Korea.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Presumably the chain goes this direction if Price is canned.
I always wondered why DeShields didn't get more traction for the manager's job.
We shall see.

Pat Kelly to manage Triple-A Louisville

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds are saying through Mark Sheldon that Hunter Greene will be with Dayton at some point this year.
Naturally, that could be for a week, a month or a series.
Here's the DD schedule in case you care.

Team Schedule | Dayton Dragons Schedule

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably won't get much press but I saw a Reds kid named Sintillian at Dayton last year. Pitcher- had a fastball and slider that consistently ( for A ball) outmatched low A hitters. Was a bit wild, but had plenty of dominating stuff. He's probably a couple years away from a MLB debut, but man what an arm.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You tube link on the guy