• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fairly warm stove

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds had shown interest in Craig Stammen around the Winter Meetings. Nothing ever became of the talks. I saw where he signed with the Padres for 2 yr/$4.5m.

The Reds only signing has been Jarred Hughes. I'd assume he filled the role they were looking at Stammen for. Both guys have had success as relievers.

The Billy Hamilton to the Giants talk seems to at least be on the back burner. I think the Giants were hoping the Reds would give him away in lieu of wanting to pay the $5M projected arbitration salary.

Dick Williams has stated they're in the market for a backup SS. I haven't looked at who is available, but I know they signed Phillip Gosselin to a minor league deal. He's more of a 2nd/3rd UT guy, but has played a little SS.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds had shown interest in Craig Stammen around the Winter Meetings. Nothing ever became of the talks. I saw where he signed with the Padres for 2 yr/$4.5m.

The Reds only signing has been Jarred Hughes. I'd assume he filled the role they were looking at Stammen for. Both guys have had success as relievers.

The Billy Hamilton to the Giants talk seems to at least be on the back burner. I think the Giants were hoping the Reds would give him away in lieu of wanting to pay the $5M projected arbitration salary.

Dick Williams has stated they're in the market for a backup SS. I haven't looked at who is available, but I know they signed Phillip Gosselin to a minor league deal. He's more of a 2nd/3rd UT guy, but has played a little SS.
Hughes is actually a real nice addition if he can pitch. Without expanding, the structure now could be -- at least twice a week -- Lorenzen-Peralta-Hughes in either the 7-8th innings with Iglesias as the closer. I do emphasize that I don't like a structured bullpen, but that's what I see happening. With a lot of starters on the roster, assuming we can find 5 who can pitch and 2 others who could step up, Hughes is a nice find. Of course, so was Drew Storen for awhile. Dunno ... with relievers, it's just too tricky.

The backup shortstop is a guy they can probably find in the system though he's a utility player. The Reds have too many league-average players in the 26-40 range on the roster. Personally, I'd like to see them actually move Suarez back to SS, see if Duvall can play 3B and go with Winker-Hamilton-Schebler-Irwin in the outfield.

Peraza is a better 2B and he will eventually shove Scooter to the curb.

I think Hamilton will go but Castellini has pretty much vetoed that from what I read. Of course, he said that about Bruce too.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw where Jordan Pacheco signed with the Twins. I say, 'where do i remember where this guy played?'

Had 51 ABs with the Reds in 2016.
I don't even remember the guy at all.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan Pacheco was the guy the Reds kept as the emergency third catcher when they cut Ramon Cabrera. I don't think he even got into a game as a catcher before being DFA.

Stuart Turner filled that role last year. We may not remember his name in a couple years either

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pacheco is 31 so he's finding work.
I suspect Turner will too if he can catch.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Pacheco's value is tied to his ability to play other positions. He's hit more than the typical 3rd string catcher during his career.

I think we'll see Stuart Turner at some point this season. Even if Mesoraco can stay off the DL he may draw some interest around the trade deadline.

Either way Turner has 3 option years and there isn't a better option in the system at this point. I think he's here until a better option comes along. Tyler Stephenson was drafted to be that guy. Hopefully he is within a couple seasons.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the Reds signed Vance Worley to a minor league deal. A low risk signing of a guy that is coming off of a poor 2017.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the Reds signed Vance Worley to a minor league deal. A low risk signing of a guy that is coming off of a poor 2017.
Every franchise has these guys. They need pitchers at Louisville too. He's maybe the 26th man on a rainout game.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dick Williams didn't have much on his shopping list for a team that has loss 90+ games a few years in a row, but signing a pitcher with MLB starter experience that can pitch out of the pen was at the top of the list. I think he just checked off that box.

There are a lot of unsigned free agents still out there. So there is always the possibilty they sign another low risk guy or the waiver wire provides a late addition to compete for that role. But at this point I think there's a good chance Worley is going to make this club's bullpen to start the season.

The current coaching staff has a poor track record of evaluating what these type guys have left in the tank.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dick Williams didn't have much on his shopping list for a team that has loss 90+ games a few years in a row, but signing a pitcher with MLB starter experience that can pitch out of the pen was at the top of the list. I think he just checked off that box.

There are a lot of unsigned free agents still out there. So there is always the possibilty they sign another low risk guy or the waiver wire provides a late addition to compete for that role. But at this point I think there's a good chance Worley is going to make this club's bullpen to start the season.

The current coaching staff has a poor track record of evaluating what these type guys have left in the tank.
Yeah, it would seem that signing free agents for the Triple-A team would be an exercise better handled in March.
There is a trend with such signings with the Reds that pitchers with MLB time usually end up on the 25-man roster.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at Worley's stat line, was the plan to IMPROVE the bullpen or just fill it up with guys who are not named Asher Whojowkowskawoski?

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Sheldon of MLB.com had an article this afternoon listing his bullpen if the season started today.
Rasiel Iglesias
Wandy Peralta
Jarred Hughes
Michael Lorenzen
Kevin Shackleford
Austin Brice
Vance Worley
I hope that's not the list come Opening Day.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Sheldon of MLB.com had an article this afternoon listing his bullpen if the season started today.
Rasiel Iglesias
Wandy Peralta
Jarred Hughes
Michael Lorenzen
Kevin Shackleford
Austin Brice
Vance Worley
I hope that's not the list come Opening Day.
Likely that is about 90 percent of it unless blisters, brain farts and total ineptitude make it even worse.
I don't truthfully understand the logic of big league franchises that insist on telling us they plan to upgrade and insist on signing \Worley or Marquis or Arroyo or Gregg or Simon or .....

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Reds can't find 5 pitchers that can get 3 outs
How in the hell do they expect us to believe they can find 5 pitchers that can get 18-21 outs?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if we were called on it to wager at the time, Bruce would have ended up in Houston or Texas.
He got the most mileage out of his departure from Cincy, it appears. I wish him luck.

NEW YORK -- The Mets have upgraded their lineup by adding a familiar face, agreeing to terms late Wednesday on a three-year, $39 million contract with veteran Jay Bruce, a source told MLB.com's Mark Feinsand.

Though most of Bruce's professional innings have been played in right field, he played first base previously with the Mets, and they will ask him to play some first base this season as Dominic Smith attempts to establish himself as an everyday big leaguer.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought Bruce was a more than adequate defensive right fielder with a pretty good arm. But it appears that the Mets don't think so. Did I just buy into the Reds PR or are the Mets wrong.
I'm not the best judge of talent but it seemed to me he did all right. Got to the balls he was supposed to get and some that he wasn't supposed to get. Could just be the NY media looking for something to write about

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be, the Mets figure this Dominic Smith will be OK eventually but having Bruce will allow them some flexibiity with their batting order. Bruce isn't going to help them at 1B, that's a fact.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay Bruce is definitely a better RF than first baseman.

I always thought Jay played an overall descent RF. Looked a little leary on the warning track at times, but was pretty good into the gap and toward the corner. Has a good arm, but as with a lot of guys with strong arms they try and nab the runner more than they should and miss the cutoff man too often. Those extra bases when the cutoff man is missed don't show up in the box score, but they lead to runs that shouldn't have scored.

I thought he might sign with the Giants.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's become rather obvious teams are collectively throttling the free agent market. There really hasn't been a signing that has broken the ranks in terms of years or dollars.

It'll be interesting when it's all said and done to see what the top remaining FA signed for.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The two former Reds with the biggest names still unsigned are Todd Frazier and Brandon Phillips.

I think Brandon Phillips will be signing for less than he expected. The real question is will he call his new teams owner a liar?

Todd Frazier has power and a descent glove. But I'm not sure how much of a market there is for him. Mike Moustakas would be most contenders first choice, but there's still a couple cheaper options on the market.