• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Exploitation at its finest!

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those who believe that College players who risk major injury on a football field should be just fine getting a so called "FREE EDUCATION" for their troubles and should be happy with that .. while schools like UCLA make a record $280 Million Dollars off their backs are just plain ignorant or oblivious........and you know who I am talking to........

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slaton - I'm in that other camp. Why do kids play sports on the D-1 level? What is / are their motive(s)?

PS - I hate this debate? You must have seen the board was getting slow.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't worry Bat, Slaton is in favor, if memory serves me from our CBS days, of giving the players a stipend of some sort. While I don't agree with paying student athletes, I do feel that the NCAA needs to loosen some of the restrictions that are placed on them. We all know that the big dollar Boosters give these kids money at a greater amount than the average student getting money from Mom or Dad.

We've had this discussion several times before. Just pick a side and express your thoughts on the topic.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slaton is just trying to pick a fight........ College sports were a great, all American, fun, exciting institution, prior to the big schools banding together to try and legitimize the "national championship" in football. College athletes already are paid, and paid well. A free education, plus the other benefits that go along are pay enough. What about grad students in the engineering school doing research that brings in $millions, should they be paid? How do you propose they are paid? Do ALL athletes get the same? Do star players get paid and others not? Do they sign contracts with bonuses, ala win the Heisman and get $100,000? Slippery slope, and we have already dipped a foot onto it.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graduate students are already being paid...

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/phd-student-salary-SRCH_KO0,11.htm
PhD Student Salaries

454 Salaries
Updated May 17, 2016

National Avg
$29,138
Min
Max

$23k
$34k

Syracuse, NY Area Avg
$34,034*
Min
Max

$28k
$41k

How much does a PhD Student make?The average PhD Student salary is $29,138 . Filter by location to see PhD Student salaries in your area. salary estimates are based on 1,992 salaries submitted anonymously to Glassdoor by PhD Student employees.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graduate Funding

Do I really get paid to get my Ph.D.?
  • You sure do! Graduate students get their tuition waived and receive a generous stipend. This stipend will cover the costs of housing (even in the most expensive cities like LA or SF) and other living expenses. If you are capable of managing your money wisely, you will easily be able to save money.
  • Typically, students are funded for 1 to 2 years by their program and then for the rest of their Ph.D., receive funding from government grants or their PI. Currently, the average yearly stipend for graduate students across the country is 26-27,000$.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't the graduate student working on his PhD... receiving compensation for the research they're doing to help the school gain notoriety and continue receiving their huge research grants... similar to the undergraduate student athlete?

Student athletes today are part of the business of college sports. Whether anyone wants to accept it or not, college sports has become a huge business. How many #7 jerseys were sold when Noel was playing for WVU? How many #10 jerseys were sold when Slaton was playing?

It is the real world we live in...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't worry Bat, Slaton is in favor, if memory serves me from our CBS days, of giving the players a stipend of some sort. While I don't agree with paying student athletes, I do feel that the NCAA needs to loosen some of the restrictions that are placed on them. We all know that the big dollar Boosters give these kids money at a greater amount than the average student getting money from Mom or Dad.

We've had this discussion several times before. Just pick a side and express your thoughts on the topic.[/QU
Slaton is just trying to pick a fight........ College sports were a great, all American, fun, exciting institution, prior to the big schools banding together to try and legitimize the "national championship" in football. College athletes already are paid, and paid well. A free education, plus the other benefits that go along are pay enough. What about grad students in the engineering school doing research that brings in $millions, should they be paid? How do you propose they are paid? Do ALL athletes get the same? Do star players get paid and others not? Do they sign contracts with bonuses, ala win the Heisman and get $100,000? Slippery slope, and we have already dipped a foot onto it.

Well...BBW covered the Grad Students being paid....and yes I am in favor!!...to me noiton that the students get "Paid Enough" is incorrect..its a barter system at its finest....

But to me the rationale is more like Nike making billions of dollars and paying the Taiwanesse $1 dollar an hour to make a $250.00 pair of sneakers!

Folks UCLA ..one more time!! Just struck a deal for 280 Million Dollars!! Forcing these kids to wear Under ARMOUR...why should they have to do that and not get some kind of residual for being human billboards?

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...BBW covered the Grad Students being paid....and yes I am in favor!!...to me noiton that the students get "Paid Enough" is incorrect..its a barter system at its finest....

But to me the rationale is more like Nike making billions of dollars and paying the Taiwanesse $1 dollar an hour to make a $250.00 pair of sneakers!

Folks UCLA ..one more time!! Just struck a deal for 280 Million Dollars!! Forcing these kids to wear Under ARMOUR...why should they have to do that and not get some kind of residual for being human billboards?

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While I understand your intent, I can't fully support it. I don't know of 1 D-1 player being mistreated or abused for playing a sport and after 2 years could break the bank, IF they are good. If they do not like wearin Under Amour, then pick a school who has other under garments. Wearing Under Amour doesn't impede a player's ability to perform on the field for the school he/she chose to attend. Comparing the UCLA deal to Nike's use of what could be considered slave labor misses the mark for me. It's almost as bad as the guy saying that the wait for VA patients are as long as the lines at Disney. Waiting for treatment to save your life is a far cry from waiting in line for a freaking amusement ride. These athletes are, in some cases, being treated better than the average student when it comes to extras. Remember Steak Day. It was made sure that you only received 1 steak and couldn't go back in line for anything. It was short of Marshall Law that day. A couple of years later I moved over by the Stadium. Van Richardson's girlfriend lived next door. Every week during the season he would bring her a plateful of steak or whatever the special was at the Trainer's table.

If you want to say the NCAA needs to overhaul their system, I can agree. To say pay them because they are being abused, I can't see it. There was a segment on ESPN about a year ago that highlighted some of the ridiculous rules in place but I would have to review the regs to remember them. After all, aren't Institutions of Higher Education there to make money - by any means necessary? There is no bartering. You want to play here, will here is what you'll get when you sign on the line. No different than me going to work everyday. I play and get paid by their rules. The only difference, I will not make in a lifetime what some will make in 2-3 years.

Last edited:

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with Slaton on this one. My bet is that more athletes leave school with career ending injuries, CTE, or disabling injuries than make the NFL. The big payday only happens for a small percentage. Many kids are pursuing a dream and not just playing to get the education. AS schools make millions and millions are paid on coaches, the players do not regain the value the give their school through education. I don't think this rises to the level of abuse, but schools are making money off these kids.

The easy solution would be to let athletes get a cut of that marketing money. If you have to wear under armour because the school is making money, why not let the athletes have a cut. Allow these guys to do radio, TV commercials. This could be a win-win situation.

jarringjev

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this thing of paying college athletes opens up a good can of worms. If college players are paid then they will have to pay income taxes. Ire IRS may deem athletic "scholarships" taxable too. One can readily ascertain that the scholarship is worth about $30,000 per year and let's say is pay is $20,0000. the athlete would pay taxes on about $35,000.

The preacher in says that we are reaping what we sow. We have let ESPN, and others corrupt a good sport meant to be played for fun. ESPN owns almost all the bowls and wants to call the shots as to who wins the Heisman trophy, who plays in the playoffs under the guise of a committee, and all other awards. The sports channels need to be declared a public utility and strictly regulated as to opinionated content.

Yes, it is our fault for allowing corruption like that to go on.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are here saying colleges are making a load of money from athletics, a FEW, very few, are making money, MOST athletic departments are losing money, and a lot of it. Rather than paying the kids, lets make Alabama and Ohio State send some money to the MAC and CUSA schools, so everyone is on a level playing field!!!!!!

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with Slaton on this one. My bet is that more athletes leave school with career ending injuries, CTE, or disabling injuries than make the NFL. The big payday only happens for a small percentage. Many kids are pursuing a dream and not just playing to get the education. AS schools make millions and millions are paid on coaches, the players do not regain the value the give their school through education. I don't think this rises to the level of abuse, but schools are making money off these kids.

The easy solution would be to let athletes get a cut of that marketing money. If you have to wear under armour because the school is making money, why not let the athletes have a cut. Allow these guys to do radio, TV commercials. This could be a win-win situation.
While I hate to see anybody get hurt, we all make decisions on a daily basis that affect us for the better or for the worse. There are kids who didn't make it to the collegiate level due to an injury in high school. Injuries can happen anytime. Everybody has a level of risk versus reward.

A majority of the top kids go to the schools who receive the most coverage (Mr. Obvious moment). I can't say that the school is exploiting them. These top kids have set theirselves apart from everybody else and they know it. They are going to take the path that gives them the best chance of getting into the league. If media hype is there for them, then all the better. These "sponsors" jump aboard with the money and I'm sure these kids benefit in some way.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I was in college, student athletes would sometimes work summer jobs in Morgantown. Oliver Luck worked at a mine for one of my friend's father. These guys got paid really well... sometimes paid for doing nothing.

The NCAA took away those opportunities.

Schools are making money by selling jerseys, placing their stars on the cover of bulletins... magazines... and programs.

Schools are spending money like never before. This is why schools are not making huge profits from sports. I'm not an attorney, so I don't know what the legal ramifications are for a university that reaps huge revenue as profit... it is a state controlled entity that receives federal money as well as state money.

A kid on academic scholarship can work while at school... can work in the summer. Make spending money for college.

And, companies like Nike and UA are making millions off of these contracts.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this thing of paying college athletes opens up a good can of worms. If college players are paid then they will have to pay income taxes. Ire IRS may deem athletic "scholarships" taxable too. One can readily ascertain that the scholarship is worth about $30,000 per year and let's say is pay is $20,0000. the athlete would pay taxes on about $35,000.

The preacher in says that we are reaping what we sow. We have let ESPN, and others corrupt a good sport meant to be played for fun. ESPN owns almost all the bowls and wants to call the shots as to who wins the Heisman trophy, who plays in the playoffs under the guise of a committee, and all other awards. The sports channels need to be declared a public utility and strictly regulated as to opinionated content.

Yes, it is our fault for allowing corruption like that to go on.

Thanks for chiming in..nice to see someone new here on the boards! :suds:

But Scholarships are are tax free..........

Scholarships and Fellowship Grants

A scholarship is generally an amount paid or allowed to, or for the benefit of, a student (whether an undergraduate or a graduate) at an educational institution to aid in the pursuit of his or her studies.

A fellowship grant is generally an amount paid for the benefit of an individual to aid in the pursuit of study or research.

Amount of scholarship or fellowship grant. The amount of a scholarship or fellowship grant includes the following.
  • The value of contributed services and accommodations. This includes such services and accommodations as room (lodging), board (meals), laundry service, and similar services or accommodations that are received by an individual as a part of a scholarship or fellowship grant.

• The amount of tuition, matriculation, and other fees that are paid for or remitted to the student to aid the student in pursuing study or research.

• Any amount received in the nature of a family allowance as a part of a scholarship or fellowship grant.

Tax-Free Scholarships and Fellowship Grants

A scholarship or fellowship grant is tax free (excludable from gross income)
only if you are a candidate for a degree at an eligible educational institution.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I understand your intent, I can't fully support it. I don't know of 1 D-1 player being mistreated or abused for playing a sport and after 2 years could break the bank, IF they are good. If they do not like wearin Under Amour, then pick a school who has other under garments. Wearing Under Amour doesn't impede a player's ability to perform on the field for the school he/she chose to attend. Comparing the UCLA deal to Nike's use of what could be considered slave labor misses the mark for me. It's almost as bad as the guy saying that the wait for VA patients are as long as the lines at Disney. Waiting for treatment to save your life is a far cry from waiting in line for a freaking amusement ride. These athletes are, in some cases, being treated better than the average student when it comes to extras. Remember Steak Day. It was made sure that you only received 1 steak and couldn't go back in line for anything. It was short of Marshall Law that day. A couple of years later I moved over by the Stadium. Van Richardson's girlfriend lived next door. Every week during the season he would bring her a plateful of steak or whatever the special was at the Trainer's table.

If you want to say the NCAA needs to overhaul their system, I can agree. To say pay them because they are being abused, I can't see it. There was a segment on ESPN about a year ago that highlighted some of the ridiculous rules in place but I would have to review the regs to remember them. After all, aren't Institutions of Higher Education there to make money - by any means necessary? There is no bartering. You want to play here, will here is what you'll get when you sign on the line. No different than me going to work everyday. I play and get paid by their rules. The only difference, I will not make in a lifetime what some will make in 2-3 years.

What would be the difference? Every school is getting some kind of money for wearing Brand Merchandise...including your WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY MOUNTAINEERS...but nothing like UCLA is just signed for...

And I appreciate the steak analogy, but my niece is at Morgantown and went there in the Honor's Program ( Not Bragging..well maybe a little! LOL!) She is on a full ride , her living conditions are amazing she is part of the tutor program for the athletes........and she gets PAID! And they do not make her wear any Nike Stuff! LOL!...or in a position to get physically or permanently injured.....

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are here saying colleges are making a load of money from athletics, a FEW, very few, are making money, MOST athletic departments are losing money, and a lot of it. Rather than paying the kids, lets make Alabama and Ohio State send some money to the MAC and CUSA schools, so everyone is on a level playing field!!!!!!

I don't understand DAD...you sound like the Commissioner form the BE when they decided to add football..."Hey Let's add football make those schools divide television evenly, even though we don't have a D-1 football program..ie Providence, Villanova , St John's and Georgetown............. and take that money and.........not spend it !!! DAD there is no assurance that a school would take the funds and improve their programs...IE see, Purdue, Northwestern, Utah, Colorado, Duke, CAL, Washington State.........

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would be the difference? Every school is getting some kind of money for wearing Brand Merchandise...including your WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY MOUNTAINEERS...but nothing like UCLA is just signed for...

And I appreciate the steak analogy, but my niece is at Morgantown and went there in the Honor's Program ( Not Bragging..well maybe a little! LOL!) She is on a full ride , her living conditions are amazing she is part of the tutor program for the athletes........and she gets PAID! And they do not make her wear any Nike Stuff! LOL!...or in a position to get physically or permanently injured.....
Damn you, Slaton.
Blame Golrushers's favorite AD for my Mountaineers not getting that type of contract. I don't expect my Mountaineers to make that type of coin to begin with. We don't have the moxie, swag, history, or tradition to get those types of duckets.

That is great about your niece. Sooooo...you don't think that her pay for tuitoring isn't tied into the football atheltic budget somewhere, which is funded by these different contracts? See, from the money she saves on the free ride (all her doing and has the pressure to meet the scholordhip requirements) and getting paid, she can purchase her own Nike gear.noutbof curiosity, ask her if she receives athletic gear or free"stuff" from time to time.