• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Expansion Protected/Exposed Players

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league has stipulated that LV must take one player from each team and must take 14F, 9D, and 3 G. I'm sure some teams are happy knowing that they can't lose more than one player at least.

Would like to see some rules against tampering so that LV can't immediately trade some of these guys back to the teams they acquired them from (one of the loopholes the OP was looking for) or doing a shady "future considerations" trade to prevent them from choosing a specific exposed player.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league has stipulated that LV must take one player from each team and must take 14F, 9D, and 3 G. I'm sure some teams are happy knowing that they can't lose more than one player at least.

Would like to see some rules against tampering so that LV can't immediately trade some of these guys back to the teams they acquired them from (one of the loopholes the OP was looking for) or doing a shady "future considerations" trade to prevent them from choosing a specific exposed player.

They're paying 500M for the franchise. The last two expansion teams paid 80M a piece. I'm a bit surprised they weren't guaranteed a top 3 pick in the 2017 draft. For the money they're spending they deserve to have a team that can compete right away.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're paying 500M for the franchise. The last two expansion teams paid 80M a piece. I'm a bit surprised they weren't guaranteed a top 3 pick in the 2017 draft. For the money they're spending they deserve to have a team that can compete right away.

According to the expansion rules stated in the original post and the league's interpretation and priority of those rules, the Wings could be forced to leave guys like Zetterberg, Abdelkader and Tatar exposed. I gotta believe other teams are in a similar situation where old NTCs/NMCs might force a team's hand into reserving guys they don't want to reserve and exposing guys they don't want to expose. Vegas might be a good team right away.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they go into the lottery with the same odds as 3rd from last team and are guaranteed no worse than 5th overall. Not spectacular, but not terrible either.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW on the 1st and 2nd year pros question, NHL Expansion Tool | General Fanager lists McDavid, Eichel, etc., as exempt.

EDIT: That's a fun tool to play with too.

Whew. I like that link. Rychel doesn't need to be protected opening up another forward spot for someone to be protected. That might change if he meets the games played requirement, but also might explain why he played so little this year.

Wait a minute, from OP:
a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

b) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender

One scenario they can protect 10 players, the other only 8 (not counting goalies)?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whew. I like that link. Rychel doesn't need to be protected opening up another forward spot for someone to be protected. That might change if he meets the games played requirement, but also might explain why he played so little this year.

Wait a minute, from OP:
a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

b) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender

One scenario they can protect 10 players, the other only 8 (not counting goalies)?
Correct. If a team feels they're too loaded at one position or the other, they can take the calculated risk to protect more at that position, but at the expense of their overall number of protection slots.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct. If a team feels they're too loaded at one position or the other, they can take the calculated risk to protect more at that position, but at the expense of their overall number of protection slots.

Thanks.

Moot point for us, no way the Jackets choose to not protect 3 D, especially if they HAVE to protect Tyutin.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW on the 1st and 2nd year pros question, NHL Expansion Tool | General Fanager lists McDavid, Eichel, etc., as exempt.

EDIT: That's a fun tool to play with too.

That tool has Datsyuk listed. He can't actually be one of the players they draft, right?

He's going to be a UFA next offseason. Can they draft a UFA and will it count for that player's previous team?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That tool has Datsyuk listed. He can't actually be one of the players they draft, right?

He's going to be a UFA next offseason. Can they draft a UFA and will it count for that player's previous team?
I think it just allows you to select guys who will be UFA/RFA if you think there's a good chance your team will re-sign that player. Datsyuk is obviously a special situation and I would assume he'd come off the list once his contract is officially expired.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks.

Moot point for us, no way the Jackets choose to not protect 3 D, especially if they HAVE to protect Tyutin.
I was thinking the same thing looking at the Sabres roster. Depending on what happens in UFA this off-season, there's hardly 10 players wroth protecting that need to be protected. If they re-sign Franson to another reasonable deal, I'd guess they go with 4 D and 4 F.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do teams have to protect a goalie?
It sounds like they don't HAVE to, but they can't use that protection slot anywhere else, so they may as well.

The one exception I guess being teams that don't have two goalies under contract for 17-18, since the rules require them to expose a goaltender.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like they don't HAVE to, but they can't use that protection slot anywhere else, so they may as well.

The one exception I guess being teams that don't have two goalies under contract for 17-18, since the rules require them to expose a goaltender.

Well Griess will be an UFA at the end of the season, but Halak will have 1 year left on his contract.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Islanders have to protect Leddy, Hamonic & one of De Haan, Hickey, Boychuk or Pulock. They aren't going to be able to protect Pelech. They will lose somebody good no matter what.
Boychuk has NMC if I'm not mistaken, so they have to protect him anyhow unless they move him.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to that tool, NTCs are not considered "movement" clauses. They have DET on there with no active restrictions. And with Larkin considered exempt, this draft got a easier on the Wings than I originally thought it would be. ...IF that tool is legit.