• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Expand field to 72?

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want more 11, 12, or 13 seeds in the tournament either. There are too damn many teams in it already. Every single D1 team already has a chance to make the tournament. Ever single conference has an automatic bid. This isn't the BCS where you can go undefeated, win your conference, and still not get a chance at the championship. In basketball every single team has a shot. Watering down the field doesn't make the tournament better.

I understand the money arguments, and I'm sure the NCAA will end up expanding again because college athletics is nothing but a big cash-grab, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want more 11, 12, or 13 seeds in the tournament either. There are too damn many teams in it already. Every single D1 team already has a chance to make the tournament. Ever single conference has an automatic bid. This isn't the BCS where you can go undefeated, win your conference, and still not get a chance at the championship. In basketball every single team has a shot. Watering down the field doesn't make the tournament better.

I understand the money arguments, and I'm sure the NCAA will end up expanding again because college athletics is nothing but a big cash-grab, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

Being an 11, 12 or 13 seed today is pretty much equivalent to being an 8, 9, or 10 seed 20 years ago. in general the sport has a lot more talent and the 1 & dones are allowing the non power BB schools to have a more even playing field. the bubble the last couple of years has been more competitive than it has ever been .

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rather than expanding the NCAA tournament, maybe smaller conferences need to get rid of their conference tournament. It all goes back to the cash grab so it won't happen, and I know this conversation has been had before. But, it isn't really much of a service to the MAAC(or another single bid league) if some 13 win team suddenly gets hot over a weekend and represents the conference in the NCAA Tournament.

Midwest2k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be good with going back to 64. The sad thing is these conversations will always happen because the Tournament makes money, and anything to make even more money. But, bigger isn't always better.

+1 for the comment
-1 for the OP

64 was perfect and shuld have never changed but some network wanted to sell more ad time so they talked the NCAA into more useless games..eventually the NIT becomes the pre tourney tourney

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being an 11, 12 or 13 seed today is pretty much equivalent to being an 8, 9, or 10 seed 20 years ago. in general the sport has a lot more talent and the 1 & dones are allowing the non power BB schools to have a more even playing field. the bubble the last couple of years has been more competitive than it has ever been .

I don't want anymore 8, or 9 or 10 seeds. I don't want any more 6 or 7 seeds either. There are already too many teams in the tournament. Every Single Division 1 team in the country has an opportunity to make the tournament. Adding more is just watering it down, not improving it.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never watched a "play in" game. So sponsors are not making a penny my direction. I guess if SU was involved, I would watch. I would just assume they get invited to the NIT. Then I could get those cheap NIT game tickets.

In the mid 90's ... I forget the exact year, SU was in the NIT. For $10.00 I was center court about 10 rows back. Best seat I've had at an SU game.