• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ex-Alabama QBs: 'Nick Saban screwed us'

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But would that have happened with a player who wants a real education? Or is it only possible due to the player themselves going along with it?
Irrespective of the quality of an education, a student has no choice but to go along with it (outside of transferring or dropping out, of course.)

So sure - it is impossible to commit fraud if there is no one who is defrauded in the process. In this case, it was the students who were defrauded.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because those incoming freshman do not get near the support the football players do, nor do they have coaches and other authority figures standing over them all year long making sure they do the right things.

Agree. I agree with who say that there is a difference between eligibility and education. As I heard Shannon Sharpe say just yesterday about both his high school and college careers "I majored in eligibility."

When you consider that a football player wants to be able to play football, he already has a little more motivation to at least attend class often enough and perform well enough to at least keep himself eligible than a regular student.

When you add to that the fact there are also coaches assigned to make sure he's attending class, tutoring sessions, etc. and that those coaches will have consequences for him if he doesn't do what is necessary...it's a wonder that any of these guys ever manage to not be eligible.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you add to that the fact there are also coaches assigned to make sure he's attending class, tutoring sessions, etc. and that those coaches will have consequences for him if he doesn't do what is necessary...it's a wonder that any of these guys ever manage to not be eligible.
And when you consider that they are on campus year-round, it shouldn't come as a surprise that many of them finish degrees in 3 1/2 years, since many attend summer school.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And when you consider that they are on campus year-round, it shouldn't come as a surprise that many of them finish degrees in 3 1/2 years, since many attend summer school.

Yeah, we've had players get masters before leaving. Easily doable with a redshirt year and staying to senior year.

The opportunity is there for those who want it it seems to me.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. I agree with who say that there is a difference between eligibility and education. As I heard Shannon Sharpe say just yesterday about both his high school and college careers "I majored in eligibility."

When you consider that a football player wants to be able to play football, he already has a little more motivation to at least attend class often enough and perform well enough to at least keep himself eligible than a regular student.

It's crazy that some people pay for the same easy degrees.

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SavingPvtRyan_359Pyxurz.jpg

Fuck Bama. FUCK BAMA!

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, we've had players get masters before leaving. Easily doable with a redshirt year and staying to senior year.

The opportunity is there for those who want it it seems to me.

We had 3 in my MBA Class at Bama, one was the record holder for consecutive starts at Bama and another went in to coaching...not sure where he wound up...

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're going to come to Alabama for an education, why not go the best school in the state?

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blake Barnett and Cooper Bateman were under the impression they would be the primary quarterbacks for the Crimson Tide at the start of last year’s season. So when freshman Jalen Hurts played more downs at quarterback in ‘Bama’s season opener against USC, Barnett and Bateman were stunned.

Do they realize how recruiting works for the blue-bloods? They went to one of the top recruiting programs year-in-year-out. They have since Saban has been there. They truly didn't think they were not going to have competition? I bet Saban said the same thing to Hurts too.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this is pretty much why neither of them got the start. You can't be selfish and play for Saban.
Unless you're better than they are.

Saban used to come to my high school practices.

He'd suck any dick that will help him win games. Let's not kid ourselves.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only human I've met in person with less self respect is Brian Kelly.