• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ex-Alabama QBs: 'Nick Saban screwed us'

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He complained about not being able to take an economics class because it conflicted with his spring football schedule. I hate to break it to him, but regular old students have conflicts too. Lots of classes are held at the same time...hard to be in two places at once. Plus plenty of kids also have work commitments.

After Rosen gets his MBA, he might realize that life is full of competing time commitments.

There is no point in my adult life when I had more free time than when I was in college.
Depends on if it is a class he had to have for his degree and wasn't offered at any other time. Big difference in not being able to take a class you want and one you absolutely need, especially if it is a presquite for future classes.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like my Principal days. Whatever went wrong was always my fault.

My secretary was pretty good at art and had a real unique sense of humor. After one series of events "that were my fault" she painted me a nice sign for my office. It said, "I have a very responsible position around here. Anytime anything goes wrong anywhere on campus, I'm responsible."

Oh yeah, whenever I didn't perform ACADEMICALLY, it was the teachers' fault

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah ok bud. Alabama somehow gets 4-5* football team and they have more Academic All Americans than all SEC schools including Duke and Vanderbilt and Stanford and Notre Dame and Northwestern. Yeah bud. Unicorns and the tooth fairy .

I notice you didn't dump UCLA or USC into your rant...

UCLA --Special Admits for General Population 2.6%, Special Admits for Student Athletes 61.2%
Overall GPA for incoming class 3.91. GPA for incoming football players 3.07.

USC, surprise, surprise as a private school did not feel the need to provide the data...but I'm sure they don't make any allowances for their 5 stars...LOL.

Makes me wonder if Rosen was part of the 61.25 or the 38.75%.

Clearly, for most programs, UCLA and USC are both better schools than Alabama...but please don't pretend you don't clear players that otherwise couldn't attend.

BTW...Academic All-American is not an automatic thing...like get a 3.5 GPA become an Academic All-American...there is actually a panel that selects. Just in case you, like Rosen, thought it was for Sociology majors only.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah ok bud. Alabama somehow gets 4-5* football team and they have more Academic All Americans than all SEC schools including Duke and Vanderbilt and Stanford and Notre Dame and Northwestern. Yeah bud. Unicorns and the tooth fairy .

It's not just "somehow". No matter if you want to admit it or not, academics are pretty important at Alabama and Saban has people who do nothing but help players with school. If they miss a class, Saban knows and they get in trouble. If they aren't doing well, Saban knows and they get in trouble.

You want to assume whatever because it makes you feel better, not because it's the reality. You equate other teams having success with any excuse you can find. Not punishing enough, not serious about school enough, cheating, and whatever else - except of course for your own school.

Meanwhile, you still haven't bother to name a USC player that's been suspended for weed.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just "somehow". No matter if you want to admit it or not, academics are pretty important at Alabama and Saban has people who do nothing but help players with school. If they miss a class, Saban knows and they get in trouble. If they aren't doing well, Saban knows and they get in trouble.

You want to assume whatever because it makes you feel better, not because it's the reality. You equate other teams having success with any excuse you can find. Not punishing enough, not serious about school enough, cheating, and whatever else - except of course for your own school.

Meanwhile, you still haven't bother to name a USC player that's been suspended for weed.

LOL. Yeah OK. If they miss a class Saban knows. That's superior academics in action. You showed me.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is true. The issue is the idea of education and this is not a Alabama only thing. Processing kids to keep eligibility and recieve diplomas is important to every program. It looks good and helps recruiting. Educating them is a different story.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:dingdingding:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no point in my adult life when I had more free time than when I was in college.

Played sports my entire life and football through 1 year of college. My first year of not playing any sport while going to school, I was bored because of the amount fo free time I had. Fortunately, that was about the time I learned about going to Mexico on Fridays and Saturdays. lol

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I notice you didn't dump UCLA or USC into your rant...

UCLA --Special Admits for General Population 2.6%, Special Admits for Student Athletes 61.2%
Overall GPA for incoming class 3.91. GPA for incoming football players 3.07.

USC, surprise, surprise as a private school did not feel the need to provide the data...but I'm sure they don't make any allowances for their 5 stars...LOL.

Makes me wonder if Rosen was part of the 61.25 or the 38.75%.

Clearly, for most programs, UCLA and USC are both better schools than Alabama...but please don't pretend you don't clear players that otherwise couldn't attend.

BTW...Academic All-American is not an automatic thing...like get a 3.5 GPA become an Academic All-American...there is actually a panel that selects. Just in case you, like Rosen, thought it was for Sociology majors only.

That's all pretty nice. First of all no one disputes athletes are able to get into most schools with a lower GPA than regular students. I don't dispute Alabama cycles their players through their system efficiently.But every school has their requirements for admission and every school has a level they educate at. There are far more Stanford football players who can get into and handle the classes at USC ( oh wow I used the school I root for) than there are USC players who could get into Stanford and deal with their curriculum . That's why I would laugh at any list that USC put out somehow showing it has more academic all Americans than Stanford. Just like I laugh at the fact Alabama has more academic all Americans than Duke, Northwestern or Stanford who are known to have tougher requirements.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true. The issue is the idea of education and this is not a Alabama only thing. Processing kids to keep eligibility and recieve diplomas is important to every program. It looks good and helps recruiting. Educating them is a different story.

But this is just an assumption on your part.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's all pretty nice. First of all no one disputes athletes are able to get into most schools with a lower GPA than regular students. I don't dispute Alabama cycles their players through their system efficiently.But every school has their requirements for admission and every school has a level they educate at. There are far more Stanford football players who can get into and handle the classes at USC ( oh wow I used the school I root for) than there are USC players who could get into Stanford and deal with their curriculum . That's why I would laugh at any list that USC put out somehow showing it has more academic all Americans than Stanford. Just like I laugh at the fact Alabama has more academic all Americans than Duke, Northwestern or Stanford who are known to have tougher requirements.

Do you understand that entry level requirements just mean they won't bother working people who need more attention?

It's kind of dumb really unless it's to the point where a student just isn't able to learn as needed.

Mark Ingram needed extra help as I recall. So what?

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While I recognize that Alabama is not Stanford or USC for that matter. Alabama has put a program together to attract National Merit Scholars that is second to none, We have led the nation in National Merit Scholars among public universities multiple times since this program was put together, with upwards of 700 on Campus last year and some of them actually play sports. The only schools with more are the Harvard, the University of Chicago and USC.

Shit on it if you want, but the average GPA of incoming Freshmen has risen from to almost 3.7 from less than 3.4 a decade ago.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may have a point re: entrance requirements. Facts are, they are not the same at every school, so there are some very good players that simply can't get into some schools.
Here is a reality. Every school has a complete distribution of academic talent/accomplishment that ranges from the can't-miss stars all the way down to the hopelessly weak or underprepared. Even the mst selective schools have students who are at the lowest ends of the curve nationally - not just at their respective schools. And there are factors that can get a given doofus into even the most prestigious of school. (Case in point, one Jared Kushner, who did not get into an ivy league school on the basis of either his academic record OR his athletic ability.)

The problem with what he said, imo, is that he acts like football players are the only ones with busy schedules. ...

What about regular students who also have jobs?
Exactly. Further - what about students that have family obligations? I recently had a student who was in court fighting for custody of her son who was being abused by his father. And extreme case to be certain, but one for which the stakes are considerably higher than whether or not a football team wins or loses a game.

A statement like Rosen's relies on an unstated premise that playing at the FBS level is an entitlement rather than an incredible blessing. For every Josh Rosen, there are a hundred guys who will work twice as hard as he ever has - and I believe he works VERY hard! - and never achieve anything close to what he has, because they lack the talent with which Josh Rosen was gifted. While his gifts may open some doors for him (and obviously, they already have) to act or speak as though they entitle him to an easy path devoid of having to ballance certain requirements, is simlpy childish.

If he really wants to fix the situation, he should invest in the creation of a professional development league that provides people who do not wish to be in school an alternate pathway to the NFL.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Rosen he should learn to keep some things to himself. He went to a good Catholic School and got excellent grades and got frustrated at UCLA because he's wanting a degree in economics ....
You know - his opportunity to attend college does not end when he leaves for the NFL. I am sure that UCLA would welcome him back at any time to pursue a second degree if he were to choose. And if that isn't enough for his candy-ass, he should have played DIII, or chosen to not play football at all.

But if he is actually interested in economics, and can't understand the concept that certain choices come with certain costs (ie opportunity costs) than he is truly a lost cause anyhow.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Alabama supports the hell out of the players and does what's needed to help them succeed.
So did North Carolina. That is a dangerous pathway that is full of traps that a school must avoid.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So did North Carolina. That is a dangerous pathway that is full of traps that a school must avoid.

I'm going to say no way Saban would even remotely take such a risk.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, whenever I didn't perform ACADEMICALLY, it was the teachers' fault
We have trained an entire generation of students that it IS the teacher's fault when the students don't pass. It was called "No Child Left Behind".

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a reality. Every school has a complete distribution of academic talent/accomplishment that ranges from the can't-miss stars all the way down to the hopelessly weak or underprepared. Even the mst selective schools have students who are at the lowest ends of the curve nationally - not just at their respective schools. And there are factors that can get a given doofus into even the most prestigious of school. (Case in point, one Jared Kushner, who did not get into an ivy league school on the basis of either his academic record OR his athletic ability.)

True, but my understanding of the situation is that some schools are easier to get into than others. I mean, I have always assumed that schools have students, both athletes and non, who get in other ways besides actually meeting the academic requirements.

I could be wrong, but it would seem that, for example, a student who got in by other means at say, Stanford, they would come closer to meeting Stanford's requirements than a student who got in to a school with lower requirements by other means would to meeting Stanford's requirements.

If he really wants to fix the situation,

This brings up another point...What is his idea for fixing it? I mean, it's one thing to point to something and say "That's a problem."

It's quite another to point at it and say "That's a problem and here's how we fix it."